cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is how sellers dispute and win (Item not as described) chargebacks!

This is not a question. I just want as many sellers to know what I have discovered about INAD /SNAD chargebacks.

What I've learned about  INAD chargebacks.

For INAD " Item not as described" chargebacks the only thing you can do is accept a "Return for Refund" AND send a "Return Label".  As an experiment, I stopped waiting for buyers to file a return or chargeback. I starting sending buyers a return label as soon as they first contact me about an issue with an item ( a high-priced item).  Then I offer to help them with the issue and let them know that they may return for a refund if they so choose.

I won my first SNAD case this way. The buyer wanted money and to keep the item. I denied their "request" and they filed a chargeback 2 days later.   Apparently, they thought filing for a chargeback would get them their money back faster, as they claimed they needed it back right away.

However, since I had already offered and sent them a return label - I won. I did not think I was going to win, especially since they actually DID return the item. It was delivered a few days after they filed the chargeback.  I decided not to refund them right away and let them wait for the case decision. Because well, they **bleep** me off! 

And boy was I shocked when the case was decided in my favor!!! I am assuming they lost because they filed after I had already sent them a return label. So this is a case where I got the money and the item. Except for the shipping costs and some damage to the unit. But overall I am happy with the outcome.

In the case reply. I wrote;

The date they bought the item

The date they received the item

The date they first complained

The date I sent a return label

and a copy of the return label

I put all this onto a PNG File and sent it as my evidence

I have since one another case this way. Although in the second case they did not return the item. But I did not have to refund them and their negative review was automatically removed. Again I am happy with the outcome.

Now, I have other scenarios, such as buyers filing claims without ever contacting the seller, or saying that they have returned the item when they never did. I have not encountered these scenarios as of yet, and hopefully, I never will, but this is what I would try in these scenarios.

Senario 1.

If they never contacted me before filing a chargeback. I would send them a return label right away with a message saying "If you had contacted me I would have given you a return label" and then I would answer the chargeback the same as above stating that I have sent them a return label for refund and would have sent one earlier had they contacted me.  My theory is if they do not return the item they will lose the case.

Senario 2.

If they say they have returned the item and you must provide a tracking number proving that they did not. I would do the same. Send the buyer a return label and input that tracking info into the chargeback case.

Basically the only way to "Win" is to accept a return and provide a return label.  There is NO way to prove the item "is as described", you can only prove you were/are willing to accept a return for a refund. And why they just don't tell us this, I will probably never know.

As much as it sucks, this law is a good one to protect us as consumers. Unfortunately, there are actors out there that use the system to try to get something for nothing. I know it's a "win-lose" situation and in some cases getting the item back is not at all ideal, but that's the best I've got for you.

Now if it's past 30 days, I would deduct the cost of shipping from the refund. I have no idea what their recourse would be then, but I would dare to find out. And if I ever have to deal with any of these scenarios, I will share how it all turned out. We have to look out for each other cause the system sure isn't.

Hope this helps as many sellers as possible.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In my view you do not need forgiveness from GOD or man as you did not break any Devine law or man's law.

Judge in this case was eBay who determined that you were the victim and found in your favour and penalty imposed on the transgressor was that he pays compensation to you equal to vale of goods he was attempting to steal and that is how you ended up with your item and money.

Hope is that this person learns that crime does not always pay. I don't believe this will be the case and this person has since stolen or in the near future will steal from others.

Above is my opinion and I accept without reservation that others opinion may differ and I for one would not ridicule them and hope that I am extended this courtesy.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

A good read, thank you.

But do you feel comfortable that you have the item and the money ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

I have no sympathy for someone who wanted to steal or obtain goods and services by deception and he ended up loosing Game, Set and match.

Seller did not attempt to steal from his buyer and same can not be said of the buyer.

Outcome was determined by others and not the seller and to ease my conscience I would donate equal amount to a charity.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

May God forgive me, cause I do feel comfortable. 

And may you forgive me as well. As I am sure you already have because you are obviously a much more evolved human being than I am. Pray for me, for I am truly pleased with the outcome.

I was very uncomfortable when I lost to a scammer that lied and I sent proof that they lied and they ended up with my product and all the money. I wonder how uncomfortable they felt about that.

Anyway, I'm glad to know there are people out there like you that would still refund them. It gives me something to aspire to.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Nice! You did an uno reverse. 😄

Uno Reverse.jpg

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

In my view you do not need forgiveness from GOD or man as you did not break any Devine law or man's law.

Judge in this case was eBay who determined that you were the victim and found in your favour and penalty imposed on the transgressor was that he pays compensation to you equal to vale of goods he was attempting to steal and that is how you ended up with your item and money.

Hope is that this person learns that crime does not always pay. I don't believe this will be the case and this person has since stolen or in the near future will steal from others.

Above is my opinion and I accept without reservation that others opinion may differ and I for one would not ridicule them and hope that I am extended this courtesy.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

It was damaged and lost value. I hope the seller does feel good. 

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

The second scenario was OK, but you should really not be here bragging about scamming someone as you did in the first scenario.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

You have an interesting point of view of the events. I do not see it that way, however to each his own.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

I didn't see the post as bragging.  Instead it shows sellers how to prevent us from losing both our item and our money through charge backs.  We know that eBay doesn't fight for sellers.  Moreover,  we know that people expect to return an item no matter what the reason and will lie to avoid paying the return shipping.  I find that if someone requests a return there isn't any point in declining as it could cost you more in the end. I'm glad to read this post so I can be proactive in preventing an unpleasant and expensive outcome.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

I was under the impression that eBay doesn’t give sellers the “return for refund” option when sellers are faced with a SNAD chargeback.  Is this fix a recent development?

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

When you receive a SNAD chargeback on eBay you are asked to either refund the buyer or fight the chargeback. They also ask you to check a box if you would like them to try and have the item returned.

To fight the chargeback you must submit one picture file.  I maintain that the picture file should ALWAYS contain a return shipping label.

I know for a fact, (through experience) that you will win if you sent them a return label before they filed the chargeback. I theorize you can still win, or at least get your item back if you send a return label immediately after they file.

Chargebacks are meant to force a refund when a seller refuses. However, if a buyer is offered a refund for return, is given a return label and they still do not return the item. It becomes apparent the buyer is trying to keep the item and get the money, and therefore will lose the case.

You must provide the return label. I tried to fight a chargeback once. Since it was past 30 days, I told them I would accept the return for a refund but they are now responsible for return shipping. I lost the case. They got to keep the item and I was forced to refund them as well.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Okay, because there are sellers claiming on this thread that in the event of a SNAD/INAD chargeback under MP they’re not given the option of having the buyer return for refund:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Chargeback/m-p/32005831

I’m in Canada and a Canadian seller also made a similar claim on the eBay.ca boards a couple months ago or so.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

This is exactly why I am sharing this information. Because no one in the establishment will give you an inkling on how you are supposed to fight this or what they expect you to provide as evidence. It's as if they want sellers to crash and burn.

They say "Submit your evidence", when they know the only evidence they will accept as "valid" is a blatant admission from the buyer or a return label. And no one will tell you this.

These are things that I have learned thru trial and error. As much as I researched, I could not find answers anywhere. 

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

So how does this work with an international sale when a return label is very likely an impossibility?

Message 15 of 33
latest reply