cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Seller Just Got Screwed Too

A buyer purchased a expensive shirt from me in the middle of October.  Two weeks later he tells me that he loves the shirt but the shirt does not match his complexion. Ok, that's a first.  He opens a case choosing Item not as described.  Free return shipping! Everyone knows this.  I wait 32 days and no shirt returned. On the 35th day the shirt arrives back. Ebay sends me a e-mail that the buyer has waited too long and the case is closed in my favor and the money they have been holding will be released.

One week later, I received another e-mail from ebay.  It stated that they have reversed that decision and have refunded the buyer.  So the buyer called ebay and surprise surprise ebay sided with the buyer.  I have been selling on here for 20 years and I am thinking it is time to move on.  The people running ebay are corrupt and have no idea what they are doing.  They sit behind their boardroom table trying to scheme  ways to squeeze more money out of us.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: This Seller Just Got Screwed Too

eBay makes the rules. One of the biggest PROBLEMS is that they don't follow the rules. The rules may well not even exist. They break their own terms of service in favor of buyers often. 

Rules at this point, in ALL the years eBay has existed, should be solid and well defined, for both buyers and sellers. However, by the way they act, IMO, they are NOT the facilitator of sales at all. They are in control over every aspect of every sale. They can force a seller to refund OUTSIDE of the clearly defined refund period. They can pull listing if they "feel" price "gouging" is going on. Sure doesn't look like the way a "facilitator" should be acting, especially outside of rules, THEY define themselves. 

Then again, maybe it's just me..... What would I know.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It's not just you, it's all of us.  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

The Abandoned Returns policy states: When buyers are sent an eBay-generated return label, the return is closed if the label is not printed within 10 business days. If the buyer prints the label, we allow the return to remain open an additional 5 business days to ensure shipping scans are captured.

I have these cases close in my favor at 15 business days or around 19 calendar days. So I kept the original payment and did not have to pay for the return label, because it never got scanned.

@farmalljr wrote: Rules at this point, should be solid and well defined.
I would like further clarification on tardy returns.
The unstated rule appears to be 'If there is any scan within the 15 days, the case stays open until day 35. The case may or may not be ruled in the seller's favor. Furthermore, the decision can be reversed at any time in the future.'

My buyer sent the return on business day 12 or calendar day 17.
It is calendar day 31 and there have been no additional scans.
In my biased opinion, my case should be treated as an abandoned return and closed in my favor.
If I don't receive the merchandise back, can I file to withhold 50% of the refund?
If I can't test the item, can I file to get up to $6.00 of return postage credited to me?
So even if this is ruled in my favor on day 35, I can expect a reversal for what period of time?

Here is a discussion from 12/12/2020 where it worked out in the seller's favor.
After reading your experience, that seller may be at risk for a reversal.
Return has not arrived after two weeks.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Return-has-not-arrived-after-two-weeks/m-p/31422978/

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Did you receive the return from the buyer and not issue the refund yourself?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You got the shirt back so why is it you think the buyer should not have received his money back ? How did Ebay screw you ?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The buyer kept the Shirt for over 30 days.  That is over the time limit.  Then claims item not as described which was false so that he could get free return shipping. Then ebay finds in my favor . That Decision should be final.  And FYI ebay is screwing all of of course except you

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@rock-rollcafe wrote:

Buyers have up to 30 days/90 days paypal. The time it takes to get the shirt returned does not apply.

PayPal might be 180.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

well it is such they had more time to file through Paypal or credit card.

And times are from the estimated delivery dates  INR, or maybe even the delivery date for item not as described: Just saying...

They would have found a way anyway.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I don't recall reading in the eBay user agreement that eBay actions or determinations will necessarily be or are required to be just & fair.

My personal position is that determinations should be based on the facts, well reasoned, just & fair.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Was the shirt advertised as "will match your complexion"?  😉

Just kidding.  Sorry this happened to you. 

Happy holidays and stay safe!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 13 of 13
latest reply