cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think you're packing well? This is what your package goes through

This a USPS video showing the process of getting a package from point A to point B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX16-52bHvg

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Think you're packing well? This is what your package goes through

gramophone-georg wrote:

I'm pretty sure all shipping company employees take those as a challenge. The other fun one is "do not crush". Inevitably any box I get from any carrier will be caved in right where it's been marked 'do not crush'.

I refuse to mark anything "Fragile", "Do Not Throw/ Crush" or "This Side Up". I just pack it assuming all of the above will happen. I can't tell you how many parcels marked "This Side Up" have been dumped on the porch that side down. If it's not marked, it's always label side up at delivery so if I want one side up that's where I put the label.

Or as Newman tells Seinfeld about those envelopes that say Do Not Bend:  "Ha.  Do not bend... chuckle, chuckle... just crease, crumple, cram... you'll do fine."

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

Thats a great video....thank you for posting the link. Very cool ! 🙂
Message 32 of 40
latest reply

I couldn't resist sharing my first thought which was "I learned this watching Sesame Street." I have never forgotten where at letter goes afternit leaves my mailbox.

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

Do you Americans really have mailboxes at the end of your driveways where any passerby can rifle through them?

Wow.

We Canadians complain bitterly when our doorstep mail is replaced by locked Community Boxes. screen-shot-2012-11-20-at-1-04-54-pm.png

If we get a package a Notice is in our small locked letterbox, with a key to the big boxes at the bottom.

Of course, from time to time someone takes a crowbar to one of them.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

Shipped perhaps 15000 items in 10 years - can count the number of breaks on one hand.

As a buyer, I get $1000 packages shipped without boxes, without any packing protection, wrapped in paper or trash bags.  I wish I could neg every one of those people 25 times each.  

Not sure what people expect - do people expect USPS to hand carry packages across massive distribution warehouses, one by one?  

i agree with you...

not sure what people expect.

the beginning of the video says;

the US postal service delivers half of the world's mail.

again half the mail of the whole world.

i mainly ship bbl mailers.

i mean there is not much paper, padding that protects the mailers and what is inside.

i shipped about 1000 of them in the last year.

i don't remember the last time i had a broken or lost item.

i have also received and in good condition everything i have ordered.

i feel the machines and the whole process work pretty well.

i think it is impressive...

letoulousain
Message 35 of 40
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Do you Americans really have mailboxes at the end of your driveways where any passerby can rifle through them?

Wow.

We Canadians complain bitterly when our doorstep mail is replaced by locked Community Boxes. screen-shot-2012-11-20-at-1-04-54-pm.png

If we get a package a Notice is in our small locked letterbox, with a key to the big boxes at the bottom.

Those types of community boxes wouldn't work well where I live. Our closest neighbor is approx. a half mile away. Yes, I have a regular rural type mailbox. Been out here almost 20 years and have never had a mail theft problem. We have lost a few mailboxes, though. Once the county hit it with a mower and knocked it over. (they brought us a new pole and concrete) and twice we've lost it to that great rural pastime, mailbox baseball.

107158e385679c16331be39ea79d6ad4

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 36 of 40
latest reply

thank you for posting this. i am amazed a what the postal does. 

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Wow.

We do have them in certain neighborhoods but not all.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

I had one of my feet run over by a forklift once. 

Same story; managed to sell it for quite a bit less than I would have in original condition.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

We don't have those because public sector unions in the government don't allow such a job-killer. 

They'd rather pay $25 an hour to the dopes running the mail to the boxes so that those people can just lazily stuff them in any box they find, anyways. 

I see them coming soon though as the USPS is broke.

Insofar as theft, Americans seem to be not concerned about stealing other peoples' mail 😉

Message 40 of 40
latest reply