cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no such thing as Throttling.

Let me dis-spell a falacy here at eBay.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THROTTLING AT EBAY.

Just because a seller for example goes from selling lets say 500 items a month..... month in and month out then goes to 8 sales a month - this is simply coincedence.

Just because seller after seller after seller makes similar claims does not indicate throttling this is just how the cookie crumbles.

Just because a seller goes 20 days with no sales then sells 10 items in one afternoon does not indicate throttling ..this is just by chance.

Just because a seller sells 7 items in one afternoon and they are all from lets say two west coast states...this does not indicate throttling its just one of those things.

You see there is no such thing as Throotling here at eBay.

Peace Out.

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

@missjen831 wrote:

@dilo-8873 wrote:

@everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

It also doesn't matter if you like it or not...this is how things work now......so it is what it is and millions and millions and million of people have been using it for years now and are managing just fine....
Technology has changed and people need to keep up with it. ...it isn't going to go backwards...so there is no choice.

Underlined the areas where you defeat your own argument.

People using it for years does not grant any extra credibility or reliability if, as you say, it's changed and works differently now.

If she is discussing how it works now, talking about how it worked in the past does nothing to degrade her argument or point.

The point I believe she's trying to make is that search should have a intuitive interface. Which is a reasonable request, and what should be available to the buyer if eBay's focus is actually on a better buyer experience (and it would also help the sellers). 

Even marketing teams can have trouble using the search trying to find items with full product identifiers. As I've mentioned in this post, many brands aren't even showing up in the filters list. It's not really possible to narrow down what you are looking for, if the options are on eBay, but not available to the buyer. 

EBay is in line with google, bing etc  which they need to be regardless of what a few people say. Just as other sites are the same for the same reasons. EBay also has to make sure listings comply to be seem and found on search engines inclusing ebay's and third party sites that advertise our items etc. To an extent all sites have to keep up with technology and as such so do the users.
The one thing ebay cannot control or fix is those that do not list properly, or do not have what is needed in their listings etc and those people will suffer but not because of ebay...regardless of then wanting to blame ebay.

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ASPIRIN? UGH!

Sorry there’s currently a board-wide shortage on Tylenol, aspirin and Advil. 

Hi Jen,

In that case, a quart of vodka will do!😉

Message 181 of 220
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

My selling was doing terrible a while back only one or two every few months.  I was leaving for long periods of time this summer so I just extended my handling time to 10 days.  

My numbers have really increased which is crazy ha.  

As for throttling I'll say what I've observed as a buyer.  I tend to search for the same items over and over.  I've noticed on more than one occasion I'll search one day and not find what I'm looking for and I will go through all the listings just to see.  I can search a few days later and find it...it wasn't there before but accordingto the listing it was listed the last day I searched.  Why eBay didn't show it to me who knows.   Of course the most annoying part of that is they don't show me that but I'll see the same promotion listings five or six times in any given search 

And there can be many reason this occurs....such as items are not indexed yet, people are always adding items so they may not have been there days before, people had shops on vacations and took them off and now they are back in the searches, they reworked their listings because they were not showing up and now are....and that list goes on and on too.
Does any of that equal throttling....NO but is also things most refuse to take into consideration as it is not anything they are privy to....but it does exist and occurs everyday.

I mentioned it was items that showed they had already been listed when I searched before so items being added isn't the the case.  And I have considered the other scenarios you suggests swell. It's happened with auctions and non store owners so obviously no vacation holds, the listings don't have edits, and many times the listing had been there for a few days even before I originally searched so let's hope indexing doesn't take that long.  I've even searched the same day and come up with different results. I've also searched using different words and a listing that should have come in the original search shows up.  Even if it's not throttling the search  is flawed

every time something in a listed changes it is reindexed. and indexing can be quick sometimes almost immediate and other times not so much can take longer....usually up to 24 hours but it has been longer than that on occassion too. Ebay even tells people that in the help pages.
It not working how you think it should work doesn't mean it doesn't work as it is intended to work and not flawed.
It works a lot like most sites and google.
And AI technology may eliminate some listings based on having shown them to you already and other things

As I said these listings didn't have edits so there would be no reindexing 

Maybe read about how Cassini works and add into that how the AI technolgy works and then add to that listings that do not have everything in them that they should have and what is required and add to that about indexing and then add to that how things are searched for...and add all that together then factor in that sellers put stores on vacations and take items down and put them back and numerous other things...such as the sellers key words in titles and descriptions.
No one is a million years is gonna be able to prove throttling as they cannot even acknowledge everything that searches use and besides that throttling is just the latest "fad" word some have decided "sounds good" since the whole internet provider/FCC thing...so lets use that on ebay. There is a difference.

Most of what you just said we’d we just coverered tthat I take into account. 

As  for how the AI works shouldn’t matter a matter if a buyer puts in keywords items without those should show in search not similar items. That Is a poor search engine at best 

All sites use including search engines use AI technology in combination with what buyers search for and other factors and have for some time...so it does matter.

I’m aware they all use it but you average person using the search engine shouldn’t have to understand the details of how it works a successful search engine has ease of use where when key words aren’t put in things with those key words show up.    The average person shouldn’t need training on how to get results a successful search engine does it for them 

and im strictly talkin about ones anybody uses such as eBay’s and google. 

Your more complex things that’s for certain businesses such as West law or lexis I understand need training

The average person doesn't even mention or think of the word "throttling" or throwing it around.
It also doesn't matter if you like it or not...this is how things work now......so it is what it is and millions and millions and million of people have been using it for years now and are managing just fine....
Technology has changed and people need to keep up with it. ...it isn't going to go backwards...so there is no choice.

But The average person does care that what they search for shows up in their search though.  As I have repeatedly said I don't know that it has to do with throttling but the search engine is flawed and as a buyer that's frustrating.  As a seller it's disappointing 

While It "may not matter If i like it or not" I've found other places to shop that are easier to navigate and find what I need. Business that would be coming here otherwise    

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 182 of 220
latest reply

My selling was doing terrible a while back only one or two every few months.  I was leaving for long periods of time this summer so I just extended my handling time to 10 days.  

As for throttling I'll say what I've observed as a buyer.  I tend to search for the same items over and over.  I've noticed on more than one occasion I'll search one day and not find what I'm looking for and I will go through all the listings just to see.  I can search a few days later and find it...it wasn't there before but accordingto the listing it was listed the last day I searched.  Why eBay didn't show it to me who knows.   Of course the most annoying part of that is they don't show me that but I'll see the same promotion listings five or six times in any given search 

And there can be many reason this occurs....such as items are not indexed yet, people are always adding items so they may not have been there days before, people had shops on vacations and took them off and now they are back in the searches, they reworked their listings because they were not showing up and now are....and that list goes on and on too.
Does any of that equal throttling....NO but is also things most refuse to take into consideration as it is not anything they are privy to....but it does exist and occurs everyday.

I mentioned it was items that showed they had already been listed when I searched before so items being added isn't the the case.  And I have considered the other scenarios you suggests swell. It's happened with auctions and non store owners so obviously no vacation holds, the listings don't have edits, and many times the listing had been there for a few days even before I originally searched so let's hope indexing doesn't take that long.  I've even searched the same day and come up with different results. I've also searched using different words and a listing that should have come in the original search shows up.  Even if it's not throttling the search  is flawed

every time something in a listed changes it is reindexed. and indexing can be quick sometimes almost immediate and other times not so much can take longer....usually up to 24 hours but it has been longer than that on occassion too. Ebay even tells people that in the help pages.
It not working how you think it should work doesn't mean it doesn't work as it is intended to work and not flawed.
And AI technology may eliminate some listings based on having shown them to you already and other things

Maybe read about how Cassini works and add into that how the AI technolgy works and then add to that listings that do not have everything in them that they should have and what is required and add to that about indexing and then add to that how things are searched for...and add all that together then factor in that sellers put stores on vacations and take items down and put them back and numerous other things...such as the sellers key words in titles and descriptions.
No one is a million years is gonna be able to prove throttling as they cannot even acknowledge everything that searches use and besides that throttling is just the latest "fad" word some have decided "sounds good" since the whole internet provider/FCC thing...so lets use that on ebay. There is a difference.

As  for how the AI works shouldn’t matter a matter if a buyer puts in keywords items without those should show in search not similar items. That Is a poor search engine at best 

All sites use including search engines use AI technology in combination with what buyers search for and other factors and have for some time...so it does matter.

I’m aware they all use it but you average person using the search engine shouldn’t have to understand the details of how it works a successful search engine has ease of use where when key words aren’t put in things with those key words show up.    The average person shouldn’t need training on how to get results a successful search engine does it for them 

Your more complex things that’s for certain businesses such as West law or lexis I understand need training

The average person doesn't even mention or think of the word "throttling" or throwing it around.

But The average person does care that what they search for shows up in their search though.  As I have repeatedly said I don't know that it has to do with throttling but the search engine is flawed and as a buyer that's frustrating.  As a seller it's disappointing 

While It "may not matter If i like it or not" I've found other places to shop that are easier to navigate and find what I need. Business that would be coming here otherwise    

Counting the million upon millions/billions of buyers that are searching and buying on a daily basis...it is not a major issue for most buyers...or most sellers. Again this is a commonly ignored fact.

Message 183 of 220
latest reply

Well, the posts are down to one letter gibberish.  I doubt that there is an award for it.

Why can't anyone accept the simple fact that was on page one - ebay admits they throttle on their UA.

(*Bleep*)
Message 184 of 220
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

Well, the posts are down to one letter gibberish.  I doubt that there is an award for it.

Why can't anyone accept the simple fact that was on page one - ebay admits they throttle on their UA.

No that is not what the UA says...it says that your item may not be shown...... Doesn't say it is because they are throttling anything. That is being added in as is usually the case, and using the new "fad" word which doesn't even apply, to make it somethng it doesn't say at all.
And of course that is done to take any responsibility away from sellers who may be causing that issue for themselves...and just to be able to blame....and ignoring that buyers play a major role in whether items will be seen by how they search and their preferences.

Message 185 of 220
latest reply

Counting the million upon millions/billions of buyers that are searching and buying on a daily basis...it is not a major issue for most buyers...or most sellers. Again this is a commonly ignored fact.

You have no way of knowing if these "millions of buyers" are experiencing the same frustrating issues so not sure how it's a fact.  Just because they're buying doesn't mean they aren't experiencing the issues with search 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 186 of 220
latest reply

You have no way of knowing if these "millions of buyers" are experiencing the same frustrating issues so not sure how it's a fact.  Just because they're buying doesn't mean they aren't experiencing the issues with search 

Well one of these main issue is not finding items, right.....so they seem to be finding them or they wouldn't be buying them...and millions of buyers are buying on a daily basis. and buyer numbers are growing..not declining.
Buyers have been adapting to changes for so many years not to mention today's buyers are very familiar with today's technologies.
And in general buyers do not care about the bash ebay for everything drama and not why they are here. Not to mention most do not waste time these days...they find what they want buy it and go on with their lives.

Message 187 of 220
latest reply

What about the thread in which an employee slipped and admitted to it as well? The thread and the comment still exist to this day. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 188 of 220
latest reply

I still don't know what the heck "throttle" is supposed to mean, but I wish eBay could do it with the quote feature on the boards...

Message 189 of 220
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

What about the thread in which an employee slipped and admitted to it as well? The thread and the comment still exist to this day. 

Was it not you just a couple days ago that said blues are not always right??? Kinda like some hung on to what one blue said the other day because he got confused while ignoring the all rest who gave you the facts. Interesting. Seems this may be a repeat of that...while ignoring the facts or taking it out of context.

Message 190 of 220
latest reply

I've got to quit with the endless quotes so starting fresh 

"Well one of these main issue is not finding items, right.....so they seem to be finding them or they wouldn't be buying them...and millions of buyers are buying on a daily basis. and buyer numbers are growing..not declining.
Buyers have been adapting to changes for so many years not to mention today's buyers are very familiar with today's technologies."

its not like they aren't find anything.  Not like I'm claiming they come to eBay and find nothing.   Clearly I see loads of listings on eBay myself and I still buy...I've branched out to other places but I still buy here.  

All im claiming is that the search is flawed.  If I put in keywords listings with the keywords should show up.  However they don't always do so.  As mentioned sometimes those things with exact keywords show up in Ebays "see similar items" when they should have showed up in the initial search.  I've learned to look in the see similar items which is annoying because then I am actually looking through a ton of stuff I also don't need that doesn't include my keywords just to find a few listings that should have showed up in my actual search.   Other buyers may not even know they should do this and possibly totally miss out on seeing what they searched for because it's in the wrong place.   I've mentioned listings that show up in subsequent searches when they didn't show up in my initial search yet they should have.   Other buyers may not even notice it happening because they don't search the same thing over and over like I do. Those who notice may like me still be buying some.  People buying on eBay doesn't prove they don't have these same issues.  

Message 191 of 220
latest reply

"Well one of these main issue is not finding items, right.....so they seem to be finding them or they wouldn't be buying them...and millions of buyers are buying on a daily basis. and buyer numbers are growing..not declining.
Buyers have been adapting to changes for so many years not to mention today's buyers are very familiar with today's technologies."

its not like they aren't find anything.  Not like I'm claiming they come to eBay and find nothing.   Clearly I see loads of listings on eBay myself and I still buy...I've branched out to other places but I still buy here.  

All im claiming is that the search is flawed.  If I put in keywords listings with the keywords should show up.  However they don't always do so.  As mentioned sometimes those things with exact keywords show up in Ebays "see similar items" when they should have showed up in the initial search.  I've learned to look in the see similar items which is annoying because then I am actually looking through a ton of stuff I also don't need that doesn't include my keywords just to find a few listings that should have showed up in my actual search.   Other buyers may not even know they should do this and possibly totally miss out on seeing what they searched for because it's in the wrong place.   I've mentioned listings that show up in subsequent searches when they didn't show up in my initial search yet they should have.   Other buyers may not even notice it happening because they don't search the same thing over and over like I do. Those who notice may like me still be buying some.  People buying on eBay doesn't prove they don't have these same issues.  

You can search the same thing over and over and it will be different every time.....again if you ignore some listings and keep doing searches then some items will be taken out and others will be added in. You are teaching the AI that you are mostly not interested in what you are searching for...and it remembers that too.
And AI makes searches more personal...so you can only speak to yourself and your searches.
Most buyer do not play that game of running the same searches over and over for days when searching just to blame ebay for something.

Message 192 of 220
latest reply

You can search the same thing over and over and it will be different every time.....again if you ignore some listings and keep doing searches then some items will be taken out and others will be added in. You are teaching the AI that you are mostly not interested in what you are searching for...and it remembers that too.
And AI makes searches more personal...so you can only speak to yourself and your searches.
Most buyer do not play that game of running the same searches over and over for days when searching just to blame ebay for something.

You are effecting your own search results in a way you do not like the results of.....but it is in part what you created by your own repeated actions.

Message 193 of 220
latest reply

I’m not doing it to “play a game” in order to “blame eBay”.  I’m doing it because there are certain things I like and I want to buy them.   I noticed in just doing regular searching for items it happening.  I wouldn’t find what I wanted one day I’d search the next day for the same item and look there it is but it was listed a few days ago so why didn’t it show up in my search yesterday.   And then of course the “similar items” that have the exact key words I put in the search in the titles of these items that’s not a similar item it is the item I searched for!   

As a buyer if I put in key words listings that have those key words in the title should show up in my actual search it not doing so is frustrating.  No matter how it goes it’s a flawed system whether it works that way on purpose or not it’s a flawed system.  

Message 194 of 220
latest reply

Not gonna take the bait. 

The blues arent always right. That doesn’t mean the blue who admitted eBay throttles listings was wrong. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 195 of 220
latest reply