cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new direction eBay is going with the design of their website. Opinions?

As you all may know eBay hired Mrs. Johnson's 2nd Grade Typing class to design the new website.  I have been filling out feedback reports and never once seen any of my concerns addressed.  I just wanted to address the community to see if I'm alone with my opinions.

I have a number of issues, like on the new shipping page why can't I combine shipping on 2 or more items and then adjust the insurance to reflect the total amount of all items, but the thing that bothers me most is the amount of scrolling they've added to the new design.  For example, the shipping page used to have all information on one single screen.  If you needed to see additional shipping options a window would appear that would show all shipping methods and their cost; everything on older pages took up less space on your screen so things were less obscured.  Now on the new shipping page, to see all the same information you need to scroll through 3 screens.  When you sell a lot of stuff, all this scrolling takes more time searching for what was once all on one screen and adds a great margin of error if you are in a hurry.  They seem to have taken this approach (make everything larger, more scrolling, more wasted "white space", so-on) to all of their new pages.  I don't know how well i'm conveying this.

I'm I alone on this?  Is this something people are fine with and I'm just the odd ball alone in the corner?  I'm just curious how everyone else is faring with this new "Scroll Happy" design?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

eBay has a very, very bad software development and release process - it is a process that might have been used 20 years ago on small systems, but in today's world?   They have ignorant usability engineering, and they have no proper beta stage.

The new "bulk" shipping page is Beta ... that means that it is not supposed to be publicly available.  For whatever inept reason, eBay's software development process includes the release of Beta grade software to the masses to see how many scream.

I will not participate.  The new bulk shipping tool is a defective and feature-poor interface, that has several core problems.  As a good little eBay minion, I reported the problems that I've encountered, but won't use it any longer until it is ready for a proper release.  I simply click on the link to the older interface.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I am with you 100%.  After 18 years I have just about had it. Slowly moving to another sight as the aggravation is not worth it.  Good till closing added to all fixed price items as well?  I can't afford to help ebay make more money with this ridiculous addition.  I pay for my store and I am not going to pay for them to relist my items as they choose to AND charge me an additional 30¢ a listing. The page layouts as you mentioned? Ebay for babies? Beginners? Retired folks with time on their hands? Certainly not for serious sellers, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Ebay for millennial cellphone users. Gotta make it BIG so they can see enough to buy things by looking at one picture and without actually reading the descriptions. But why not - free returns no matter what. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

No, you're not alone. eBay just doesn't really listen to the users. There is no functional difference between the new and old page... well, beyond the bugs that went on for like ever.... the only difference was the usability dropped dramatically.

Do they care? Nope. But it sure looks fancy.

Buggers 😞
Message 5 of 5
latest reply