cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new buyer scam and eBay’s ignoring Policy.

I am a 23 year veteran top rated seller. 15k plus Positive feedbacks no negatives There is a new scam and buyers are signing up, using fictitious names and stealing merchandise and eBay is helping them do it. I warned eBay and I have that S.R. Number to prove it. 

I sold a $200 plus item and it was to a 0 feedback buyer who registered that morning. I have customers world wide and sell lots of combined shipping items so I can not use immediate payments It does not work for my business model and I don’t block newbies as many have become wonderful repeat buyers and blocking them would be a mistake. 
I grew suspicious when the “not as described case” was started exactly one minute after the USPS time stamped scan showed up on my package being delivered. The immediate “not as described” used one of my 10 pictures which actually supported my description. It was strange no messaging just a well planned out immediate claim. I contacted eBay as first I live in a non-smoking household and I use brand new packing materials. I sell mostly brand new or like new items and have sold 50,000 items with no complaints like this one. The buyer stated I packed with grease dirt and hair and the items were sticky and reeked. Interestingly We have no smoke nothing here reeks and there is no grease nor hair anywhere around my shipping station and 15,000 postive feedbacks with no one ever making a complaint like this is certainly alerting. I reported the buyer. Then I looked at the name on the shipping label, which I found out was a name stolen from a fictional character not one that was living at the address I shipped to. I knew this was going to be trouble so I asked eBay what to do . They said pay for a return label and then appeal once the item is returned. 

‘’the scam “

and you need to know this because it will expand as this buyer got away with it and other attempts will surely follow, 

I approved the label a few days later I get the eBay Package returned notification only the package was not returned. The buyer simply pasted his name over mine on the label walked into his post office and they delivered the package back to him 16 hours later. At first I thought a USPS mistake but as I use my Post office regularly and know all the employees I had them check the tracking scan which uses GPS tracking and sure enough the package tracked right back to the buyers house.  16 hours after he dropped it at his post office . I contacted eBay and they supposedly closed the case and released my funds. That was until the buyer told  eBay  “I sent the package back it was delivered but have not been refunded “ 

so eBay removed the funds from my account stating that there is no way to appeal the case. This alone is a violation of eBay’s policy as sellers are supposed to have the appeal process. EBay’s  directly stealing money from my account. I was able to contact eBay using what I call the back door. The agent tried to help but only was permitted to report the mistake in the hopes I might get an appeal which takes another 48-72 hours. 

Stealing is a criminal act

i am tired of hearing these thefts called errors and eBay violating their own rules directly stealing money when there has not been a return. Robots are stupid and do not know how to read tracking. People are gullible and will believe anything. And sellers are still taken advantage of, stolen from,  abused,  and stabbed in the back when they follow the rules and they get black marks instead of praise for doing the right thing. So I did not refund as I did not get the item back so now I am in violation an eBay seller criminal. What a crock! You can just forget seller protection it is a farce. 

EBay was warned early on, rather than heeding a warning that something bad was happening,  I am out my second shipping label the money I spent on the first shipping label and my item and my time. Something I can not get back.

Warning $200 is only the beginning this is going to get bigger and bigger until eBay tells sellers there is a scam a foot. I don’t think that we will ever know the truth, like tech never puts notices on the board when they know there is a tech issue This Company is not managed well, The bottom line has become strictly profit and eBay abuse to sellers is running rampant. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: The new buyer scam and eBay’s ignoring Policy.

I am a 23 year veteran top rated seller. 15k plus Positive feedbacks no negatives There is a new scam and buyers are signing up, using fictitious names and stealing merchandise and eBay is helping them do it. I warned eBay and I have that S.R. Number to prove it.  

Not really a new scam this has been going on for awhile. These cases can be won by the seller but it is painful process. 

I sold a $200 plus item and it was to a 0 feedback buyer who registered that morning. I have customers world wide and sell lots of combined shipping items so I can not use immediate payments It does not work for my business model and I don’t block newbies as many have become wonderful repeat buyers and blocking them would be a mistake. 
I grew suspicious when the “not as described case” was started exactly one minute after the USPS time stamped scan showed up on my package being delivered. The immediate “not as described” used one of my 10 pictures which actually supported my description. It was strange no messaging just a well planned out immediate claim. I contacted eBay as first I live in a non-smoking household and I use brand new packing materials. I sell mostly brand new or like new items and have sold 50,000 items with no complaints like this one. The buyer stated I packed with grease dirt and hair and the items were sticky and reeked. Interestingly We have no smoke nothing here reeks and there is no grease nor hair anywhere around my shipping station and 15,000 postive feedbacks with no one ever making a complaint like this is certainly alerting. I reported the buyer. Then I looked at the name on the shipping label, which I found out was a name stolen from a fictional character not one that was living at the address I shipped to. I knew this was going to be trouble so I asked eBay what to do . They said pay for a return label and then appeal once the item is returned. 

‘’the scam “

and you need to know this because it will expand as this buyer got away with it and other attempts will surely follow, 

I approved the label a few days later I get the eBay Package returned notification only the package was not returned. The buyer simply pasted his name over mine on the label walked into his post office and they delivered the package back to him 16 hours later.

It's not the name the buyer altered on your return label it's the shipping address. USPS does not deliver by name they deliver to an address. You can put Santa Clause on the name and they will delivery to whatever address is on the label. You need to supply eBay with a coup of your shipping label and then get the detailed tracking information from USPS showing the actual address the package was delivered to. They may even have a picture and the GPS information associated with the delivery address. Contact eBay through the FaceBook connection and have them assist you with the problem. The bot software only recognizes that the item was delivered not specifically where it went. 

At first I thought a USPS mistake but as I use my Post office regularly and know all the employees I had them check the tracking scan which uses GPS tracking and sure enough the package tracked right back to the buyers house.  16 hours after he dropped it at his post office . I contacted eBay and they supposedly closed the case and released my funds. That was until the buyer told  eBay  “I sent the package back it was delivered but have not been refunded “ 

so eBay removed the funds from my account stating that there is no way to appeal the case. This alone is a violation of eBay’s policy as sellers are supposed to have the appeal process. EBay’s  directly stealing money from my account. I was able to contact eBay using what I call the back door. The agent tried to help but only was permitted to report the mistake in the hopes I might get an appeal which takes another 48-72 hours. 

Make sure you provide eBay with the USPS tracking information and a copy of the return label you provided to the buyer. You should be able to win this appeal. 

Stealing is a criminal act

i am tired of hearing these thefts called errors and eBay violating their own rules directly stealing money when there has not been a return. Robots are stupid and do not know how to read tracking. People are gullible and will believe anything. And sellers are still taken advantage of, stolen from,  abused,  and stabbed in the back when they follow the rules and they get black marks instead of praise for doing the right thing. So I did not refund as I did not get the item back so now I am in violation an eBay seller criminal. What a crock! You can just forget seller protection it is a farce. 

I am actually surprised eBay has not already refunded the buyer. 

EBay was warned early on, rather than heeding a warning that something bad was happening,  I am out my second shipping label the money I spent on the first shipping label and my item and my time. Something I can not get back.

Warning $200 is only the beginning this is going to get bigger and bigger until eBay tells sellers there is a scam a foot. I don’t think that we will ever know the truth, like tech never puts notices on the board when they know there is a tech issue This Company is not managed well, The bottom line has become strictly profit and eBay abuse to sellers is running rampant. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@nightowlgallery 

Unfortunately, this is nothing new.  It is simply a variation of the 'fake tracking return scam', made easier since the 'return label' provided to the buyer can be so easily altered to reflect a different address. There is less of a need now for a "buyer"  to purchase a cheap trinket on the net, and send it to your local gas station, library, or empty lot to verify proof of a return.    If you originally shipped to a Freight Forwarder address, it will be easier for you since buyers that use F.Forwarders are not covered by the Money Back Guarantee.  It is up to the seller, however, to point this out to eBay.

Buyers who are victims of fake tracking issues can seek redress through their c.cards.  Sellers must rely on the benevolence of eBay whose standard response is continued denials and controlling the money.  As @dbfolks166mt  stated, this can be overcome, and it is best accomplished through the eBay social media portals as opposed to the outsourced foreign customer service reps you get in a call back or chat.  
You can use the blue message button on this page to get started:

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

OR

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

There is a new scam and buyers are signing up, using fictitious names and stealing merchandise and eBay is helping them do it. I warned eBay and I have that S.R. Number to prove it.

This has been a constant topic on the eBay forums since 2008, when the money back guarantee was introduced. It is the reason that "Don't sell anything you cannot afford to lose" is a mantra for many of us.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

eBay needs to figure this out and I'm sure they can with the payment providers and shipping services getting involved.

Do they want to figure it out is the real question? I don't think so. 

All those ads that use to be on TV about buying new clothing (those are what I remember the most) and you can return the items you don't want for free. They have all disappeared and I'm sure due to the same issue(s) eBay sellers are experiencing. I don't really see any ads offering free returns these days. Even brick & mortar stores have tightened up return policies and some charge a fee. 

I don't offer returns because the seller pays for return label but is blocked from viewing the tracking number and following package movement. 

eBay AI  / programing only goes by the tracking number. Once shown delivered, buyer is automatically refunded. 

I could go on, but I think everyone gets what I'm saying. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It does not help your situation one bit but here I go - I am so sorry this happened to you. It is obvious from what you have described that the buyer plotted this fraud and in a calculated manner lock stepped their way thru the eBay "seller protection" gigantic loophole. Other have pointed out that this has been going on for a very long time. 

My observation is that if eBay had motivation / interest there would be a solution for sellers and buyers who are victims of this scam. It is disturbing that the only possible solution is to try to work with eBay via their social media. There should be a way for victims to contact trained customer service representatives who deal with this scam, tracks these scams, gets the accounts shut down and work with the eBay security team to establish ways to stop and or avoid this type of theft and last but not least make victim sellers and buyers whole. Some say - don't sell /buy what you can't lose. I have said that myself - but this is getting absurd, and my new view for me is to consider selling anything valuable online as a real risk - so I sell those items face to face - cash only. That said, that is not an option for sellers who are on eBay to grow a legitimate business and make money to support themselves and a family. 

It can't be in eBay's interest to have buyers and sellers fearful of this type of scam - but I suppose that a giant platform with billions  of transactions might not consider this a priority - here is the rub for eBay over time more and more buyers and sellers are getting upset about this scam and slowly but surely eBay's reputation is getting damaged - not really sure if they notice or care, time will tell.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I also know new buyers can be great. But I would not mail something worth $200. to a new eBayer with no feedback. That's just me and my own opinion.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I just got a weird message from an Ebay account that was set up yesterday with zero feedback  and he said he is going to buy my item (expensive item) tomorrow as he only gets paid once a month?  I immediately put him on my blocked buyer list.   I refuse to send any item to anyone with a new account and little or no feedback.  I just refund their payment immediately. using buyer requested cancellation or address problem. I am low volume so anyone suspicious that buys something I investigate name and address with google.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank everyone for their comments after well over 5 hours of my time I was able to prove that the buyer was intentionally scamming using the paste an address over top of the return address scam. 
 I am getting the money back and sitting tight waiting for level 2 which is the chargeback which from what I have read is the second phase of these scammers. I kept a documented file  just in case. 
I learned that eBay pays these scammers but finding the case in their favor then taking money from the seller.

once they give the scammer the funds the scammer usually is never heard from again and removes the credit card used to purchase the item from his account. Thus he gets at least the item free paying nothing for it.  I think that the reason eBay does not take action is because it is cheaper to lose money that to set up a system that protects the sellers . The money they would need to spend to prevent fraud is greater than the amount 

they have to eventually refund the sellers. Especially as this is a time vs money returned situation. 
depending on how much time a seller must spend to get back in my case $200 many might just think it is a loss and the the “cost of doing business” on eBay.  I  have been trying to present some type of proposal for sellers that demands eBay check tracking to and from returns, rather than relying on A.I. to report wether an item was “delivered” or not. Delivered where has become a problem. I don’t know if this works the same way with sellers who obviously could pull the same thing using a label after selling an expensive item and changing the address. It might be harder for new sellers as eBay does hold payments until after the item is delivered until a seller has been active for at least several sales. The whole idea of skipping the “where is the item delivered to step” is certainly a sign of eBay negligence and sellers do have a right to know why eBay refuses to check the returns and issues refunds to buyers. 
   As a longtime seller I try following the rules. Sellers are still cheating buyers as well. I notice a trend of exaggerated weight and size making small items which actually cost $15 to ship showing $80 or even $100 for shipping.  Some sellers deliberately greatly over estimate size and weight. And claim eBay calculator 

is doing this. They then change the size and weight to the correct amount and print out the $15 label pocketing $50 or more for shipping. This is the reason eBay charges sellers a high % of shipping and they support sellers doing this as they get a cut. Sellers need to realize eBay takes advantage of anything that makes them more money rather than doing the right and honest thing. If you report these sellers they just keep  doing this and eBay turns a blind eye. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I don't believe the twitter help is active anymore. I have tried to use it a few times lately and my account gets blocked and I have to do the I am not a robot thing to unblock it. This happened 3 times so I gave up. If anyone has been able to use it lately, please let me know.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

File a fraud complaint with the Post Office.  Make sure you keep all documentation.  Include EBay in the complaint so they have to answer for their wrong action.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I am somewhat new to selling and had a first yesterday.  I received a message from eBay that a buyer had a filed a dispute with her financial institution claiming that "item was not as described".  It is for a bracelet ($100.00 plus shipping); the order was placed 2/2/24, shipped the same day and was delivered 2/5/24. I had already received payment and now eBay has a hold on $105.40 of future sales.  The buyer has never contacted me that there was a problem.  I filled out the 'dispute' response to challenge and explained the situtation as best I could.   The auto reply was that it could take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks (sometimes longer).  At this point, it's not about getting the $105.40 back right away, it's about not wanting to be irritated about this for the next 2 to 8 weeks (probably longer)!!!  Had she messaged me, I would have happily refunded her money...after sending her a label and receiving the bracelet back.  I think it is a scam and I am MAD!  I thought about reaching out to her and offering to send a shipping label but since the dispute process has been started, I probably wouldn't get the bracelet back and she would end up with a $210.80 refund!!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply