cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The day sales died

Sales had been moving smoothly, I was averaging 1-3 sales a day with almost certainty that I'd get at least one sale every day.  This has been for months.
Then I went to use my free 50 listings I hadn't gotten around to using, and learned about the GTC policy.  I decided I'm going to use the 50 later in the week as auction style.  I went to the Community to find out what happened with GTC and state my issues.
I didn't make any sales that day... or the next day... or the day after that.
Today, still no sales.
I still have over 200 active listings.  If I was paranoid, I'd think that eBay saw my comments about GTC and decided to slow traffic to my listings.  I'm sure it's a coincidence, but sales are dead.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The day sales died

T'is the season for slower sales with taxes due soon.  (Remember that those very few who did get the big tax cuts tend to not shop on Ebay.)  Just as February was good as perhaps those who filed early for a return got their return money in hand.  As far as Ebay having a direct negative impact upon sales by instituting a new algorithm, well we will never know, it appears to have happened before, but again pure speculation on our part. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

sales taxes are kicking in all over the country, i get to pay over 8% more on all my purchases! Which will be none!
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

I just want to say to the original poster that as soon as I saw your title the words "the day the music died" popped into my head.  So now all day long I am humming "bye, bye, Miss American pie..."..... geesh......  It might take me a week to get this song out of my head.  At least I guess I won't be thinking about GTC.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

I sold practically nothing in the last 5 days myself, like 6 sales total. And here I'm due to pay for my store's monthly fees; which will eat more than half of my money. I explained in a post the other day one of the issues that's causing these slow sales to take place. If ebay finds a cheaper price for the same item you're selling, they will instantly use your own listing to promote your competitors identical item.

Prices are falling hard right now because sellers are being forced to lower prices or have zero sales.

I was considering having a 10% or 15% off sale on my games, but my profits are paper thin to begin with, not sure I can take the loss.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

@km181177 wrote:

I just want to say to the original poster that as soon as I saw your title the words "the day the music died" popped into my head.  So now all day long I am humming "bye, bye, Miss American pie..."..... geesh......  It might take me a week to get this song out of my head.  At least I guess I won't be thinking about GTC.

You are not alone.  It's playing in my head even as we speak~and that is a LONG song.  

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS698US698&ei=CW2eXMPVEpK6ggfFppPACg&q=american+pie++lyr...

American Pie
CHORUS
Last verse
I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play
And in the streets the children screamed
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken
And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died
And they were singing
CHORUS
Songwriters: Don McLean
American Pie lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

@m60driver wrote:

T'is the season for slower sales with taxes due soon.  (Remember that those very few who did get the big tax cuts tend to not shop on Ebay.)  Just as February was good as perhaps those who filed early for a return got their return money in hand.  As far as Ebay having a direct negative impact upon sales by instituting a new algorithm,

well we will never know, it appears to have happened before, but again pure speculation on our part. 

I think we do know. I have not had one single sale on any of my GTC items. The only sales I have had since this pos started is the short run listings  The buyers have sense of urgency to buy as the item is about to end and my short run items are about to run out. There has been a lot of sellers who have posted on here how they found a nice way to run their sales. Now it is not working for them. I do not believe in coincidence.

Werneg gets worse and worse. Too bad their is not a recall election for him.

He told the stock holders to be prepared for losses this year. What kind of CEO is that. Tell Your stock holders they are going to lose money because of the way you run the company. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

@pauls-parts wrote:

@m60driver wrote:

T'is the season for slower sales with taxes due soon.  (Remember that those very few who did get the big tax cuts tend to not shop on Ebay.)  Just as February was good as perhaps those who filed early for a return got their return money in hand.  As far as Ebay having a direct negative impact upon sales by instituting a new algorithm,

well we will never know, it appears to have happened before, but again pure speculation on our part. 

I think we do know. I have not had one single sale on any of my GTC items. The only sales I have had since this pos started is the short run listings  The buyers have sense of urgency to buy as the item is about to end and my short run items are about to run out. There has been a lot of sellers who have posted on here how they found a nice way to run their sales. Now it is not working for them. I do not believe in coincidence.

Werneg gets worse and worse. Too bad their is not a recall election for him.

He told the stock holders to be prepared for losses this year. What kind of CEO is that. Tell Your stock holders they are going to lose money because of the way you run the company. 

People have 100 excuses for slow sales. The brutal honestly is hard to accept. Buyers just don't use Ebay at the rate they used to. Ebay can keep yanking you guys around, getting you to pony up more money to play the game they created based solely on your SKEWED perception of what Ebay USED to be, but they are nothing more than a dying company trying to bleed whatevers left of a shrinking user base before everyone comes to terms with the truth.

They created the a virus, and are promising to sell you the cure. Thats the desperation tactic of Ebay 2019.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

All these answers don't make sense with the suddenness of the change.
I went from MONTHS of steady sales, IN AN INSTANT to a week of nothing.
There's no magic day in mid-March when comic collectors say, "Say, I'm going to stop buying comics now."
And your "people don't use eBay as much any more" would explain a STEADY decline, but that's not what this is.  This is an instant drop-off.
This has to involve a change in eBay's algorithms.  Or GTC.  Or something on eBay's side.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

All the issues on are Ebays incompetence. They cant leave well enough alone. And most of their "improvements" fail miserably with the sellers being collateral damage. 

When sales are good for me, I sell 1-3 items a day. And now I have gone 6 days with not one sale. I have been selling since '05. Ebay throttling is real. And I dont want to hear any devils advocates. I am intelligent enough to know it is not my fault. I sell a well rounded amount of things. And always have the same sort of stuff in stock. 

So people love my items and prices for weeks at a time and all the sudden they dont? Dont buy it, sorry. I have seen Ebays incompetence time and time again. They cant keep their app or website working for more than a few days. 

As others have said, they need to embrace the yard sale/flea market vibe. Unfortunately having shareholders to answer to that is not a good business plan in their mind. 

There is alot of anxiety when my sales always die for days right before a bill is due, but usually have a couple 11th hour sales to cover the bill. 

This may be the end of a once thriving website. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

@slyders_finds wrote:

All the issues on are Ebays incompetence. They cant leave well enough alone. And most of their "improvements" fail miserably with the sellers being collateral damage. 

When sales are good for me, I sell 1-3 items a day. And now I have gone 6 days with not one sale. I have been selling since '05. Ebay throttling is real. And I dont want to hear any devils advocates. I am intelligent enough to know it is not my fault. I sell a well rounded amount of things. And always have the same sort of stuff in stock. 

So people love my items and prices for weeks at a time and all the sudden they dont? Dont buy it, sorry. I have seen Ebays incompetence time and time again. They cant keep their app or website working for more than a few days. 

As others have said, they need to embrace the yard sale/flea market vibe. Unfortunately having shareholders to answer to that is not a good business plan in their mind. 

There is alot of anxiety when my sales always die for days right before a bill is due, but usually have a couple 11th hour sales to cover the bill. 

@slyders_finds wrote:

@slyders_finds wrote:

Hi, just wanted to encourage you to start a new thread as opposed to tacking on the end of an old one where your thoughts won't be seen. Posters might address the OP instead of you, not realizing a new post was added. The moderator's will lock an old thread when they find it, and then no discourse can take place.

Sorry to hear about your sales. Good luck to you moving forward.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

Ahhh. You saw it. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

@weschurch wrote

They created the a virus, and are promising to sell you the cure. Thats the desperation tactic of Ebay 2019.

Excellent analogy!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

So people love my items and prices for weeks at a time and all the sudden they dont? Dont buy it, sorry. I have seen Ebays incompetence time and time again. They cant keep their app or website working for more than a few days. 703guitardude101 

That's pretty much my view as well .. We've been told things like  '' you aren't selling what buyers want '',, or it's the economy   as  explanations why sales are so bad ,, but they're all   nonsense . Just like with your items  my own WERE selling here ,, but not any longer,, not like before .  I have the same things now as I've always had  for sale . However they ARE  selling on other venues . As a matter of fact I have special order requests on other sites  that sometimes  I have a hard time keeping up with . As I see it ,, the problems here are  greed and complete  indifference  . They will not pay the money it cost to hire the educated high skilled people  that are badly needed to fix the problems  the right way . Neither will they invest money in advertising . Instead they've chosen the extra  revenue they've been taking in from all the promotional fee's from the sellers to solve THEIR problems,, but  all but ignored the importance of our problems and  the lack of  our success . So in the meantime  e bays new and bright competitors   that have been arising everywhere are starting to leave them in dust .  Tulips 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The day sales died

Too true. Buy you know who is making money? The CEO. To a tune of 15 million dollars a year. Pretty nice salary. And I can't stand how Ebay takes it upon themselves to put best offers on my items without my permission. The next time I get my seller fees for the month I am going to send them a best offer of what I would like to pay. Lol.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply