cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Deductions

There has got to be an easy way of seeing how much I paid in shipping, eBay fees, refunds, etc. for tax purposes.

I've read some work arounds to get all the information, but surely there's any easier way!

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Tax Deductions

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote: ... I do not know if changing from an "individual" to a "business" account after the fact will make the reports available.

Yes, it will.  Upgrading to a business account takes just a few minutes.

Went to PayPal to do that once. It looked like they wanted things I did not have .....  like a business , or llc name, or some such.  Don't have one, and use same PayPal for 2 selling accounts, and a buying account where most purchases for shipping supplies are made. Not many of those.

I, like southernsweet, use the ledger for recording my sales/expenses , but that is a lot of adding of the individual columns/pages. 

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

@buyselljack2016 wrote: ... Went to PayPal to do that once. It looked like they wanted things I did not have .....  like a business , or llc name, or some such.  Don't have one ..

Just make one up or use your eBay ID, or your initials and last name, it doesn't matter, it's just a box to fill in.

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

Very easy to do.

Grab all your profit and cash it in the bank with $100 bills.

Then go home and throw them in the air. Then repeat after me: Dear IRS, grab what is yours, whatever falls is mine. Smiley Very Happy

latest reply

Tax Deductions

i used USPS twice last year it was easier for me just to pull up in email that's the only search i did FYI
Message 19 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

Do yourself a huge favor and set up accounting for 2019.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 20 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

I was surprised and disappointed after my first year of selling when I found out that eBay did not provide a nice summary for the whole year's activity.  

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

Keeping records throughout the year is really the best way to be prepared for tax season. 

I record my sales and expenses daily, every single day.  If something happens to put me behind I spend the time to catch up ASAP.  And I am very old fashioned.  I use a very old DOS-based checkbook program that I have had since the late 70's. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 22 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote: ... I do not know if changing from an "individual" to a "business" account after the fact will make the reports available.

Yes, it will.  Upgrading to a business account takes just a few minutes.

Went to PayPal to do that once. It looked like they wanted things I did not have .....  like a business , or llc name, or some such.  Don't have one, and use same PayPal for 2 selling accounts, and a buying account where most purchases for shipping supplies are made. Not many of those.

I, like southernsweet, use the ledger for recording my sales/expenses , but that is a lot of adding of the individual columns/pages. 

Just use a DBA [doing business as].  Your DBA could be most anything.  It could be DBA Jack's Buying and Selling or most any other thing your creative mind can dream up.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

@ozarkjoe wrote:

I was surprised and disappointed after my first year of selling when I found out that eBay did not provide a nice summary for the whole year's activity.  

An item sold on Ebay does not always equal a sale.  The buyer may never pay or the order may get cancelled.  So if they did provide a list, you would need to have alternative records to make sure you didn't over state what your income was or is off Ebay.

I do agree the report would be nice, but I wouldn't depend on it to tell me what my sales were.  I have my own records for that.  But that is what I prefer.  Others will have their own preferences.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 24 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

You should have been keeping records of all your income and expenses since you started your business.  I would advise you to consult an accountant and/or your tax professional.  Without records to support your deductions you will end up not being able to claim them.  That is why sound bookkeeping is so important.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

If you have a dedicated work room, you can even deduct part of your rent or mortgage.

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

@this*old*attic wrote:

If you have a dedicated work room, you can even deduct part of your rent or mortgage.

How about my cup of hot cocoa that I drink  after taking packages out through the snow to the mailbox. I am viewing "my eBay" while I drink itgrimacing

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

I think in order for that to count as a business lunch you'd have to drink it in the car while you drive to the Post Office.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

I agree.

@ozarkjoe wrote:

I agree. 

I ended up keeping a copy of all my ebay invoices (the ones that list the sales specifics) in Microsoft One Note.

When I save the file I title it Month $sales $fees.  As long as I keep up quarterly, tax time isn't such a hassle.

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

Tax Deductions

I went to PayPal and downloaded a full report for 2018 to Excel.  With some cleaning up and rearranging of the data, it works beautifully.  I totaled the Sales, Ebay Fees, Shipping Fees, Refunds in separate groups.

Added a column to the Sales group to input my cost to the left of the item description (a lifesaver, I can never remember what sold for how much).

Definitely better than my old method of monthly reports to OneNote.

Message 30 of 44
latest reply