cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOO MUCH CLUTTER ON THE LISTING PAGES, EBAY SENDING BUYERS AWAY FROM YOUR LISTING TO OTHER SELLERS.

Ebay has highjacked our listing pages. There is so much clutter it's hard to navigate between the advertising and the actual listing. We pay for our listing page, and Ebay should not promote other sellers on the pages we pay to list on.  At least, not to the extent where is takes over the page.  Even when an item sells, ebay immediately promotes a similar product, and guess what, it not from the same seller, as it should be.  GTC forced listings is a great idea for Ebay, forced re-listings mean more $$$ for ebay.  More fees for ebay, more work for sellers, if they want to control their listings, as they should be able to, and less visibility without items ending or being newly re-listed.  I've been with ebay for over 20 years and I have started to sell on other sites.  

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: TOO MUCH CLUTTER ON THE LISTING PAGES, EBAY SENDING BUYERS AWAY FROM YOUR LISTING TO OTHER SELLE

I agree about the clutter, I speculate that this may be one reason some buyers don't even read the description, because it is disjointed and lost among the row of ads.

It's just a terrible layout, but ebay wants the advertisements for other sellers to be more important and more visible than the actual listing description, imo.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Re: TOO MUCH CLUTTER ON THE LISTING PAGES, EBAY SENDING BUYERS AWAY FROM YOUR LISTING TO OTHER SELLE

EBAY SENDING BUYERS AWAY FROM YOUR LISTING TO OTHER SELLERS

Perhaps.

And perhaps, they are also sending buyers from other seller's listings to yours 🙂

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

eBay knows that many people buy multiples so when buyers are looking at another sellers items they may be intrigued enough to also buy yours.

With my buyer hat I went in to look at one of your listings. I saw two rows of competing coins above your description. I then saw a description that is 95% terms of sale. If you have a description in there I missed it with the giant wall of text. Some of your text is tiny on my iPad. I’m curious how long it would take a buyer to read ALL of that on a cellphone.

I really don’t think the issue with your listings is the two rows of pictures at the top. I would definitely simplify your TOS, use less bolding and fewer caps. It is not buyer friendly right now.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

In the OP's defense - they've been here 17 yrs - have over 15,000 feedback and is at 100%. I'm sure he has a valid complaint as 2 rows of other sellers' items do tend to draw a person's attention away from his listing before you can even get down to his description. And the TOS - while not my up of tea - has obviously served this seller well being he's 100%.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

There’s always room for improvement. Who knows how many potential sales the seller has lost with all those demands?

I don’t buy from sellers with terms longer than their description and I’m pretty sure there are other good buyers who feel the same way

As a powerbuyer I just scroll right on past the other thing galleries. I do stop at huge block of text though and hit the back button.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Many of us have been fuming for a while now over ebay's insistence to promote other sellers identical items in our listings. Its true, we pay for a store, its space we paid for, then ebay uses it to promote the same identical item from someone else. It makes paying for a store front become totally irrelevant.

Comparison of goods should be saved for search results, not stuffed into our store fronts. I was just thinking of raising this issue in the group chat today. But it appears our concerns are always met with another excuse from ebay staff, it doesn't appear they care.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

There’s always room for improvement. Who knows how many potential sales the seller has lost with all those demands?

I don’t buy from sellers with terms longer than their description and I’m pretty sure there are other good buyers who feel the same way

As a powerbuyer I just scroll right on past the other thing galleries. I do stop at huge block of text though and hit the back button.

That's your opinion and your habits - it doesn't reflect all buyers. Let's cut good sellers some slack here when they come to vent. You know if I felt they were at fault - I'd call them out on it - but I think he and others have a legitimate complaint. And because of all these changes - Ebay is having more problems than it ever has - instead of overloading the programs with all these ads - let the buyer decide themselves what they want to look at.

My opinion - if I walk into a store and someone asks if I want help and I say no and they hover around me while I try to shop or point out what a bargain this or that is - even at a garage sale - I leave. I don't want someone  thinking they know what I need or want which is virtually what Ebay does with these oversaturation of ads.

Go to any other site - they may show pictures of other items sellers bought in conjunction with the item pictured - but never have I seen an item page be up in comparison to other similar items - except Kiplinger's

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@gamersbaystore 

Hi, DJ. Doubtful they will get rid of the other seller items advertised even before a buyer can get to your description, but to me an easy fix would be: move all of it to the very bottom of the page. And I mean the very bottom. There is no need to have it at the very top...if I click on a listing, I want to go immediately to what I clicked on, not have to scroll through a bunch of stuff that most times, to me, are not related. Push it all the way to the bottom where it belongs.  I just wish they would stop advertising other items once a buyer pays you...causes a high incidence of cancellations.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

That would be a good solution! Move everything to the bottom of the page, just get it out of the way of the listing itself. Its really annoying to click on search results only to be met with all this other nonsense when the page loads. People want to view the item they clicked on first. If you want to read a description, you first have to scroll past all sorts of other promotions, its illogical at best.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

If you want to see real clutter just go to Amazon!

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Doubtful. Ebay is most likely sending sellers to sellers with promoted listings. It’s all about more eBay profits at this point.
Message 12 of 46
latest reply

You know I cut my sellers a lot of slack. I have left ONE negative out of 15-20 thousand purchases. I think many buyers don’t like to see a huge wall of text. I believe there are many others who feel the same way.

If I think someone can improve their sales with a small amount of effort I’m going to tell them. I am trying to help them which is better than telling them to keep doing what they’re doing. I will never apologize for trying to help someone get better sales and make more money.

im not just some small buyer who has been here a few months. I’ve been here since 1999 and bought and sold a lot of stuff.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@tunicaslot 

The OP is talking about too much clutter on their listing page. Someone pointed out that half the clutter is the OP's.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

That's your opinion and your habits - it doesn't reflect all buyers.

I buy lots of items on Ebay and search daily.  I hardly even noticed those other ads. I look at the person' listing and if I don't like all the rules they like to waste space on I hit the back button to search the next seller's items. Rarely do I ever go to one on the bottom of the original listing. You're right, it does not reflect all buyer but I would guess most do not use those other ads either.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply