cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge in "Local Pickup" orders this week... but buyers not responding

Does anyone know if something has changed with the checkout process?  We've gotten a surge of orders with Local Pickup selected (all offer shipping).

We usually get one Local Pickup order every 3-4 weeks.  Half the time, it's a buyer just trying to get out of paying shipping and we end up cancelling their order (eBay doesn't even provide an address, buyers usually re-order and select a Shipping option).

This week, I've gotten 5 orders from different buyers for "Local Pickup".  4 buyers are not responding to messages asking them to schedule pickup.

We haven't changed our shipping policies.  Our # of listings and sales are normal.

At checkout, the buyer has to intentionally change the Shipping Option from USPS/UPS to Local Pickup on these orders/items to have Local Pickup chosen.

Does anyone know of anything that would cause this increase??  Has the checkout process changed?

Kim
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Surge in "Local Pickup" orders this week... but buyers not responding

Sounds like a run of bad luck with buyers making the wrong choice.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi always   offered  pay at local  pickup   for buyers that lived  near by  and paid cash or money orders   ,since it never made since to ship .   I have  2 buyers that check off pay on pick up  when they where not local  , which was  odd . I  figured  they though their was free shipping .when I checked  their feedback  they where new with about  25 to 50 feedbacks  ,  they paid right away   so I could not send a invoice with shipping cost .both being new  they both didn't  read the   detail's. I call ebay seller  support   they  gave me credit to cover the shipping . which was 1st class .   I did educate  those  2 buyers and they end up as regular buyers of mine  .

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@carlmarxx

Thank you for the tip.

I'll reach out to eBay Customer Support.  I have 2 paid orders sitting with no response from the buyers for over 5 days now.  They have relatively low feedback numbers (59 and 99).

The orders are paid.  No shipping address is provided by eBay anymore when they choose Local Pickup.  I'm fine with that because our prices do not include shipping cost.  I get plenty of sales and won't pay for shipping because someone chose the wrong selection.

We do not have the option for "pay at pickup" on eBay in U.S..  I think I'm thankful for that.

Hopefully, eBay CS can help.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Kim
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Why not give those buyers a few more days to contact you and then cancel, citing "problem with buyer's address" as the reason? 

We see evidence here every day that not all buyers read the listing carefully before buying.  Those people are probably just eagerly awaiting the arrival of their merchandise.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Glad to help out.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply