cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Sellers of Paperback Books

I'm trying to get some positive discussions going.  I was able to sell a paperback book, by charging and shipping by 1st class mail.  I had a lot of competition and my price wasn't the lowest.  I was the only person offering 1st class mail.  Buyers can be impatient, so it may be worth trying.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Suggestions for Sellers of Paperback Books

You know the completeds and solds are not always accurate?  A lot of listings do not show when searching.

I've searched for my own solds on another computer and account and find that recent ones as well as older ones are no where to be found!

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I make the decision on shipping method AFTER the sale. I do not use specific shipping services when listing. all my listings say "standard delivery". eBay adjusts the estimated delivery time based on "standard" which gives me the leeway to chose whichever is most appropriate.

because I have an extended handling time I might ship  something First Class because it's been 3 days since the sale and it's going to a distant zone but use Media Mail if I am shipping the day of or day after the sale and it's going to a nearby zone.

I know a few things, I rarely have buyers gripe (in any way) about what I charge, I have no late delivery marks on my dashboard and plenty of my feedback refers to fast delivery. The best thing is that at the end of the year when I compare my shipping expenses vs my shipping charged and collected there is always a healthy surplus that goes in  my pocket and much of that comes from Media Mail usage.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@wpt05  Your link was to sold listings.  When speaking of competition, I was referring to active listings.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I'm now kind of mystified by this discussion and the controversy this topic has provided. If you provide your buyer a choice between Media Mail and First Class, and if your competitors only provide Media Mail, it is very possible that you will make a few extra sales here and there, because you've broadened your buyer base from Media Mail buyers to Media Mail buyers AND those buyers who, for whatever reason, prefer faster delivery and are willing to pay for it. This provides you with a small competitive edge. (Keep in mind some buyers might use the Guaranteed Delivery filter, in which case they may not even see your competitors books, but only see yours, as the only one estimated to get to them within the GD time frame.)

I agree with those who say for most paperbacks most buyers will go with lower shipping price over faster delivery. But I can't see any reason to turn away potential customers by offering only media mail.

What am I missing here?
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I find media mail in U.S. is only about a day or 2 slower than First Class.  Not worth the added expense IMO. 

What matters most to me (as a buyer) is condition.  I'm willing to pay more for a book that's in very good to excellent condition.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@tamaralea 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Seth+Godin+This+is+Marketing+&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc

Same result.  All the similar items listed for less than your item sold for are digitally delivered copyright theft items.  

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

The condition of the book is more important to me that speed. I like buying used books in good condition. I am never in a hurry to get a book. Some books come quicker but most take about a week to up to 2 weeks when they are sent to me By media mail. 

I do think IT WOULD be a good add-on to add first class mail option for an upgrade price IF it is certain books pattern and crafting books, (someone might need it to start a project.) College textbooks, (I would even add a faster shipping method like Express), Self-help books, New popular books in a series, Etc. 

You are right If You ship them Priority Class You could be included in fast and free. That might give You a free click through. 😉 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

You are right.  It is always good to have multiple shipping options.  Actually the OP only gave one shipping option.  

Some prefer faster delivery and others prefer lower price.  Also, based on past sales, some prefer to buy copyright theft books.  nerd 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

My alternative opinion....

I prefer not to offer options, I feel that when offered buyers remember the delivery time of the more expensive service when they pay for the cheaper service.

In any event there is a great deal of variation category to category on how these relevant factors such as price vs speed impact buyer choices. Some categories include such a broad spectrum of buyers it's impossible to generalize even at the specialty level.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I agree with you. Just last night I messaged a seller about shipping a book Priority because I didn't want to wait. This was a rare case tho. But it would be nice to be given a choice.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

"I find media mail in U.S. is only about a day or 2 slower than First Class. Not worth the added expense IMO.

What matters most to me (as a buyer) is condition. I'm willing to pay more for a book that's in very good to excellent condition."

I was waiting for someone to say that...the problem with MM is that the packages not only wait for space but they get BEAT UP. I only like it when I buy a book that I really don't care that much for condition. But I buy a lot of 1st ed signed...I also want it in pristine condition.

I was amazed though at the latest book from a HUGE seller (and they ship in all paper, yay for the environment), got here with a rip in the side, but the book was NM...woohoo.

On the other hand with MM...my last package of vinyl went to Pennsylvania (left instead of right to the West Coast) from AZ, and is now lost somewhere. I do hope it is not drowned.
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

If you sell Paperbacks then you will likely have some Hardbacks also.

Media Mail on Hardbacks would be way cheaper than Priority as hardbacks (Especially Textbooks) 

tend to get heavy very quickly.

Media Mail does have tracking numbers.

P.S.

One time I found several big boxes of close to new textbooks at the

thrift store (I think a Teacher retired or something) I bought those at 5.00 a box

and sold those textbooks at about 50.00 each - that was a good deal.

(That was some years ago at Half Com )

Message 27 of 27
latest reply