cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stressed out seller here - eBay has removed my recent newest listings multiple times no reason given

Thanks for all the helpful comments, I'm now in the process of reshaping my store and the keywords used.

I greatly appreciate all the help, kind regards from Tyler at CloneCantinaCustoms 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Stressed out seller here - eBay has removed my recent newest listings multiple times no reason given

@tytak_31 

Without being able to see which items were removed, is it possible that those were figurines which were in violation of trademark and/or copyright?  

If some (or all) of those figurines depicted characters that were the intellectual property of other individuals and/or corporations, they were possibly removed as unlicensed reproductions, which is considered to be a violation of trademark and/or copyright.

If this is the case, don't try to re-list those particular items again, or you may be suspended by eBay.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

@tytak_31 

Im sorry you received bad information from the CSRep. Never relist an item that has been removed. 

Lego is very protective of their brand. They don’t want people selling 3D printed stuff and mentioning their Brand. 

When one puts all their eggs in one basket, they must be very careful to follow the rules. 
I mean, if eBay is your only source of income, don’t sell Lego that didn’t come out of a Lego factory. 

Now that you are on the radar, it may only be a matter of time before all of the listings will be removed. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@tytak_31 

Sorry for your situation, Tyler.  It looks like there may be a copyright/trademark issue going on.  I wouldn't continue to relist them or you could jeopardize your account.  

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@tytak_31 

If you are attempting to sell custom (ie: not authentic, real LEGO figures), and you are using LEGO anywhere in the title, then that is the reason. 

LEGO strictly enforces their copyrights.

I notice in the first sentence of your post that you say “custom figurines.”

You don’t call them LEGO here, so don’t use LEGO in the title of your listings. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Hi @tytak_31,

Lego defends their intellectual property rights quite vigorously. They don't permit the sales of Lego-related items that are not licensed by them. I'm a bit surprised that you have not had trouble with this before now.

TBH, I don't think that a business model that is based on creating your own "customized" minifigs, based on Lego designs, or using Lego parts, especially if combined with non-Lego (ie counterfeit) parts, is really a viable business model. I think you would be best advised to find another business model, that doesn't infringe on a major company's intellectual property.

You should have received a message when your listings were removed, explaining why. The reason will probably be quite vague, but it will be there.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Was it your fake LEGOS?

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Your listings seem to be a fundamental violation of LEGO's trademark.  The term "LEGO" can only be used for items made by LEGO.

It's OK to take an item that is actually made by LEGO and customize it, such as painting on some details,   because the original item was made by LEGO.

But if you make your own item in any way, including printing, you cannot use the LEGO brand name. From LEGO's perspective, the term "clone" means the same as "counterfeit." Likewise, your use of terms from Star Wars is probably also a violation of trademark/copyright.

I think that the customer service rep just didn't understand the issue, and thus gave you bad advice.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this info, but here is what I got when I asked CoPilot (Generatvie AI):

Copilot
LEGO has recently updated its trademark policy regarding the usage of its signature minifigures. While fans in the LEGO community have long used customized minifigs to represent themselves or promote events, the new policy aims to protect the LEGO Group’s trademark rights. Here’s what you need to know:

Customized Minifigures:

Allowed: You can still create customized figures using official LEGO parts.
Not Allowed: However, you cannot print third-party logos, names of organizations, or trademarks onto LEGO minifigures. Using the registered Minifigure trademark in combination with third-party symbols is also prohibited12.
Reasoning:

A trademark cannot simultaneously serve as an exclusive symbol for two different entities.
Allowing third-party logos on minifigures could jeopardize LEGO’s exclusive rights to the Minifigure brand.
Community Events:

LEGO acknowledges that the AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO) community still wants to celebrate their events.
According to current corporate policy, fans are free to print graphics on LEGO brick elements and custom builds made of LEGO bricks to commemorate community activities and events1.
In summary, while you can continue to create custom minifigs using LEGO parts, avoid incorporating third-party logos or trademarks. Happy building! 🧱🌟

Learn more

9to5toys.com2

lan.lego.com3

bricksandminifigs.com4

battlebrickcustoms.com

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

LOVE your items - really cool stuff.  We just had a mini fig (and other Lego collectibles) store open near me - brisk business, so far.

unfortunately, you aren’t the first custom mini fig seller coming here about delisted items.  Yep, Lego is keen to disallow such items.  I think it is a bad business decision - I think these mini figs add fuel to overall Lego collectibility, but that is just my take.  It is a bit like Beatle bootlegs - those don’t detract from sales of legit items.  

Regardless, it doesn’t matter what you or I think - Lego doesn’t want them on eBay.  

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Hi there guys, I use Lego pieces with custom-designed  prints on them and then I use helmets from CloneArmyCustoms, we've been up for a year so I'm just shocked and surprised as to why it's suddenly happening now. 

Is there perhaps a new rule that I can't use LEGO / Star Wars key words? I'd love to know. 

I've yet to receive any violations or trademark policy eras for these 70+ figurines, but if I did I'd be happy to work with it and start changing my keywords/listing titles. 

I genuinely have no intention of tricking people, there is a large community of LEGO customizers and I've received a lot of really positive feedback from fellow members of the community. 

I appreciate everyone's responses. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Well, when you say it like that. It actually makes sense. 

I'm going to ring eBay again tomorrow and see if that's the issue, thanks for the potential clarity on the matter. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for your response, this makes sense in my head. 

I expected to recieve a VERO violation or something, but if it's necessary to remove Star Wars and LEGO from the title I am happy to do that, I know there are people who actively want the products, and know full well what they are. 

I never intended to confuse or trick anyone though. 

Thanks kindly for your advice.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

The eBay rep you spoke with gave you terrible advice, many of those phone reps have no clue to any eBay policy they can't see into your account, they will also tell you what you want to hear.  

Your store title tells me that you sell replicas aka clones.. selling replicas or clones of anything is a violation of Counterfeit item policy

eBay doesn't pull listings because they feel like it. When eBay pulls listings they always send a message regarding pulling listings and why they were pulled.

My guess is you are not telling the complete story here. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@tytak_31 

You've been given a lot of good advice & insight here.  Most of the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and know what they are telling you.  Customer service is poor at best.  They are outsourced, overseas agents who are reading from scripts.  They will tell you anything to get you off of the phone and on to the next issue from whomever.  Don't waste your time by calling them again.  Just because others are doing the same doesn't make it right.  They just haven't been caught yet.  You state you have not been given any notices of policy violations.  Removing your items was the notice.  Again, don't relist.  Your shop is very nice and it's evident you work hard on it, but as others have replied, LEGO is very hands on about those who infringe on their product.  Don't escalate the issue into something worse.  

Good luck

Message 15 of 31
latest reply