cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange, even to me

Normally I don't get paranoid about transaction, but the sum of these events leaves me wondering.

1) I listed 5 items today. One of those items sold within minutes. At first I thought I didn't ask enough. 

2) the buyer is Chinese with a Newark, DE address that appears to be a forwarder. No big deal in and of itself.

3) before I even got the eBay message saying the item sold, I receive a message from another user saying they wanted it but it was already sold. They offered me 100 knives...lolwut

4)That person's city and state is Newark, DE as well...hmmm

It was a $75 item. It was the only one on eBay (and the whole internet as far as I can tell). It IS in a category that one would receive email notifications for, but I doubt something someone would be searching specifically for it.

So what are the odds that two people from the same city would find my obscure lighter within minutes of it being listed and one of them send me a shady offer after it was sold?

BTW, the money is already in PayPal. The only way out is to cancel and I don't want to take the defect. Ugh. 

The good news is I don't have to ship until Wednesday so I have time to think on this.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Strange, even to me

But they're not 2 buyers from the same city (necessarily) or even the same country (necessarily).

Just 2 offshore buyers who happen to use the same reshipper.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What kind of knives?

LOL

Obviously, you had something that is desirable to those 2 international buyers ...

Ship to the person who paid in money (not cutlery) 😉

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

100 knives Mirah

But there is nothing I'd rather do
Than spend all day in the sack with you
I want to mess up my sheets with you
There is nothing I'd rather do 🎶

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

What kind of knives?

LOL

Obviously, you had something that is desirable to those 2 international buyers ...

Ship to the person who paid in money (not cutlery) 😉

Yeah, like I need even more stuff to list...lol. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not start another business.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  Wait a minute, are you able to see or somehow discern the second person's city and state (Newark, DE) just by the message you received?  Or did the buyer state that in their message? 

Could very well be two different international buyers. 

100 knives?  I guess they meant they were willing to pay $100, thus topping the $75 that it sold for?

Since the money from the buyer is already in Paypal, I would go ahead and ship to the Paypal confirmed address.  And just reply nicely to the other person that you're sorry the item had already sold and has been paid for. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting.  Wait a minute, are you able to see or somehow discern the second person's city and state (Newark, DE) just by the message you received?  Or did the buyer state that in their message? 

100 knives?  I guess they meant they were willing to pay $100, thus topping the $75 that it sold for?

Since the money from the buyer is already in Paypal, I would go ahead and ship to the Paypal confirmed address.  And just reply nicely to the other person that you're sorry the item had already sold and has been paid for. 

Yes, eBay puts that info at the bottom of the message.

Get to know (user id)

• Located: xxxxxxxxxx

• Positive Feedback: 100%

I aready blocked them. Offering a trade is not withing the bounds of an ebay transaction.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

You sold something that is hot internationally. Don't leave us in suspense, what was it? If I could ask.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

You sold something that is hot internationally. Don't leave us in suspense, what was it? If I could ask.

Vintage Tavannes lighter. And nobody has ever heard of it (made by that brand). ..lol. All I know is I tripled my money and should have listed it at a higher price.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

@siayan wrote:

Vintage Tavannes lighter. And nobody has ever heard of it (made by that brand). ..lol. All I know is I tripled my money and should have listed it at a higher price.

Thanks for the info. It probably would have been a good auction starting at $75 but you did good. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yep...hindsight is always 20/20 lol

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, eBay puts that info at the bottom of the message.

Get to know (user id)

• Located: xxxxxxxxxx

• Positive Feedback: 100%

Ha!  All this time and I never noticed that.   I went back and checked a message I got today from a prospective buyer, and you're right indeed -- it shows the buyer's city and state!   I never thought eBay would show that.   The country, yes, but not down to the city details.   Thanks for answering! 🙂

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

You should ship to the buyer that has already paid!

As for buyers from same country or city  all wanting a spesific item can happen.

This is because there are items with history related to some countries or cities that are popular there 

but not in another places. 

For examle.. Lets say there is a local known artist in a town who sells his paintings for 300 dollars each and locals buy them but this artist is completely unknown to the outside world.

You somehow have and list a painting of him for 100 dollars.

Guess what happens....

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Did you evacuate?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

Did you evacuate?

No...and now it's not going to hit us anyway. I'm not really in an evacuation zone.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply