cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Buyer Disappears After Request to Cancel Purchase

A strange transaction occurred this past weekend and I am wondering what the underlying benefit was for this person. A new watcher watched one of my sports cards, so I sent an offer of about 10% off. He accepted it, then sends a message saying he did not mean to accept because he thought I was buying his card of the same exact card. Initially, I didn't see an issue with this, so I canceled the item for him, giving him the benefit of the doubt. I then get suspicious (of course, after the fact) and discover his account was brand new... created-that-day new. I message him back saying I didn't see that card in his store or anything for sale for that matter. He responded, "oh **bleep**... need to wait. I guess" which really made me more suspicious. So, I checked his account today (23-Oct-2023), and it no longer exists. I never purchased a shipping label, nor did he actually pay for the item, so I am wondering what his motive was. The only thing I can think of is, potentially, that he set a sale price for others to see on his main seller account to be able to sell it more easily. I also canceled it, so I'm not sure if that does anything to my reputation, which I will not do from now on if the buyer can request to cancel.

I don't know if he was able to obtain my address from that fake purchase, but if anyone has insight on this stunt, please share your thoughts.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @thebullcitysportscards 

It could be what it seems ... a new member who didn't have a clue about what they were doing.  I wouldn't be concerned about them being able to do any harm to your account or reputation, as I assume you cancelled the order by choosing 'Buyer requested cancellation'.  They gained no personal information about you.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Buyer is no longer is a registered eBayer...or a guest using eBay. Nothing to worry about.

Just keep an eye on feedback and when buyer joined eBay.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply