cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still MORE benign neglect from ebay....

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-am-a-seller-who-got-scammed/m-p/27896601#M1111865

How HARD is it for ebay to flash a warning or send an e-mail to a seller whose sold item is one that is a scammer's delight, e-mail stating to ship to paypal address only?

Pony up..."partner"

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Ebay tells us to only send to the address on the paypal account.

So imo they already sufficiently address this.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

yet...it's ongoing.
Yep..."sufficient" is the word I'd chose.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

How HARD is it for ebay to flash a warning or send an e-mail to a seller whose sold item is one that is a scammer's delight, e-mail stating to ship to paypal address only?

Slightly harder than it is for that seller to read the warning message that appears at top of the page every single time a label is printed. 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

There are many scams happening here because sellers do not stop first and read the ebay pages or ask a question on the board.

Ebay is a selling platform not our parents.  We are all adults here and have to assume some responsibility for our actions.

Like I was taught, when in doubt - ask.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

That does so much good for a newbie who takes a package to the P.O. for postage...
...maybe their one and done ebay sale.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Ebay isn't our "partner". They are our selling platform. Personally when I sell it is always items of some value and I immediately am perusing the buyers feedback trying to see what kind of buyer I have and I often Google the address to see if I am comfortable shipping without a signature requirement and if it is in fact a genuine address. I would notice immediately if a different buyer contacted me as I am well aware of the account name within minutes.

On top of all that it is like a mantra here to ship to the Paypal address only. I feel sorry for these victims but I don't really understand how they fall for it.

If a person is selling even only one thing they need to read the rules. Especially if it is an item of value that they can't afford to lose.Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@bnbsellingtime wrote:

Ebay isn't our "partner". They are our selling platform. Personally when I sell it is always items of some value and I immediately am perusing the buyers feedback trying to see what kind of buyer I have and I often Google the address to see if I am comfortable shipping without a signature requirement and if it is in fact a genuine address. I would notice immediately if a different buyer contacted me as I am well aware of the account name within minutes.

On top of all that it is like a mantra here to ship to the Paypal address only. I feel sorry for these victims but I don't really understand how they fall for it.

If a person is selling even only one thing they need to read the rules. Especially if it is an item of value that they can't afford to lose.Smiley Sad

I think eBay should read their "rules" too. How does a new seller successfully list and sell a $1500 scammer magnet as their FIRST sale?

Selling limits???

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

As I understand it, a newbie has listing rather than selling limits.

If she lists an auction at $10 with a selling limit of $100 and it goes to $1000 (yes, I'm dreaming in technicolour), that's fine.

What she can't do is list the same item at $1000.

But since she has no control over the final auction price.....

I have no answer.

Members are supposed to be adults. But some adults are buying Bitcoin. Some invest in the lottery.

IQ of population.jpg

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I can't agree more. It is shocking OP was able to list that.

You are are so right too about how fast they can catch an innocent message with a phone number from a well intentioned buyer...Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

For the OP on the other thread, in order for a message on the screen to be effective, he would have to read it.   Now he didn't read the message from the scammer to notice it was from a completely different user.  So how is he going to read a warning message from ebay?

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

A new seller should have to interact on this board for a few hours as a prerequisite. They would quickly become aware of the need to be extremely cautious and learn a lot in general.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Seems to me this type of fraud should be relatively easy to shut down.  On a completed listing just flag any non-purchaser account that sends the seller a message within 24 - 48 hours. Have the system scan the flagged messages for signs of fraud and if fraud is likely, quickly get human confirmation and then shut down the account. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

nawlinsron2 wrote:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-am-a-seller-who-got-scammed/m-p/27896601#M1111865

Pony up..."partner"

Since this is all already covered, I expect the next step would be to expect eBay to establish a BabySitting Department... except I think we're probably it, or as close as is likely to happen.

I'm certainly sympathetic when I hear a story of anyone falling victim to a scammer, but scams are nothing new...  I mean, I don't know what the scams were before the snakeoil salesmen traveled the Old West, but people have been being duped forever, I guess.  Yes, SAD.

But the thing is, I think some folks just seem to have no concept of how there can be any real DANGER in transacting business, even in the hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars, with complete strangers somewhere out in a very big nation (and world) and then blithly follow some instruction they got in an online message, without checking further, either in more depth here or through the financial institution's site. 

Yes, it's very sad, but I don't know how many more steps and instructions.. and then even more steps and instructions.. would have to be layered into our transactions to make sure all that ventured here.. and everywhere ELSE online as well.. were protected against their own actions.  And I know that many are very, very successful with big sales here right from the start.  But sad when one runs into trouble from not understanding how to do business here safely. 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Not sure if that would be a good ideal--- there is already enough programming glitches as is that haven't been fully fixed.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply