cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax

From what I can see offering free shipping is not cost effective for the buyer anymore!

it is better to lower the price of item and charge shipping so they do not have to pay as much tax, as shipping is not taxed!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

State Tax

Shipping is taxed.  Online tax is on the total cost.  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

I believe that varies depending on each state's laws.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@fern*wood wrote:

I believe that varies depending on each state's laws.

Yes it varies.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

And in some states how the shipping is broken out

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@cchar529 wrote:

From what I can see offering free shipping is not cost effective for the buyer anymore!

it is better to lower the price of item and charge shipping so they do not have to pay as much tax, as shipping is not taxed!

In some states, the shipping charge is also taxed.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

I just can't believe all the complaints I'm reading. the best thing to do is avoid eBay find another place to buy and sell. if there's no sellers there's no buyers if there's no buyers there's no sellers. Hit him where it hurts.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@cchar529 wrote:

That depends on the state.  Most probably do charge sales tax on shipping when it is invoice and paid for on the same transaction.

When shipping is billed and paid separately to a carrier of some sort, then it isn't taxable in most states.  Like having something trucked in.  You buy a large whatsit from a company and they use a trucking company to deliver it to you and that trucking company bills you separately from what the whatsit cost you.  Most likely that shipping is not taxable.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@cchar529 wrote:

Depending upon which state the item is being delivered in, shipping may or may not be taxable.  Some states deem shipping as a taxable service while others do not.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@jojitsusensei wrote:

I just can't believe all the complaints I'm reading. the best thing to do is avoid eBay find another place to buy and sell. if there's no sellers there's no buyers if there's no buyers there's no sellers. Hit him where it hurts.

I believe this has been explained to you on a few threads.

Ebay is NOT the only site that charges sales tax.  Similar sites to Ebay like Etsy and Amazon, charge sales tax.  Or sites where there are third party sellers like Sears and Walmart all charge sales tax.  Then most other large websites also charge sales tax like Target, Kohls, Macy, JC Penny, etc.

So where do you plan to do your shopping or sell your items?

@jojitsusensei 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

I am struggling to understand how so many people are not aware that these are laws passed by the states the buyer is in and that eBay fought AGAINST this tax as much as they could. The Supreme Court is the reason there is a tax here, not eBay. And the Tax exists on Etsy, Amazon and everywhere else.

There is no more sales tax evasion allowed. Most states required buyers to use the honor system and pay sales tax for online sales. But most people (including me) didn't take the time to do that, so now the states are using the SCOTUS ruling to force marketplaces to collect sales tax if they are facilitating the sale.

Please learn the laws and place blame with local state legislatures and SCOTUS and not on the various online marketplaces.

Here are some resources for you 🙂

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

::general reply::

Everyone screams "fair, fair, fair" and that they want a level playing field.

Well, now the playing field IS level when it comes to online vs. brick and mortar business. I personally think it's great - now each state will get what's deserved and the tax evaders finally have to pay.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

::general reply::

Everyone screams "fair, fair, fair" and that they want a level playing field.

Well, now the playing field IS level when it comes to online vs. brick and mortar business. I personally think it's great - now each state will get what's deserved and the tax evaders finally have to pay.

::100 emoji::

😉

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

@cchar529   Aside from the tax issue - offering Calculated shipping allows each Buyer to use the calculator to see what it will cost them to ship to their location.  If its too much they will move on ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

State Tax

Respectfully speaking, people have been complaining about taxes since day one.

However, people want  police and fire protection, trash pickup, better roads, more bike lanes and clean beaches and water.  People want good schools and public libraries and clean neighborhoods, etc., etc., etc.  Many, many people 'want', but they don't want to pay.  The excuses and reasons and arguments are plentiful and never-ending.

And,  it ain't gonna stop now.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 17
latest reply