cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard envelope for selling stickers

I'm selling stickers on ebay (1oz) and it won't give me the option to send via standard envelope. I'm assuming it's because it's not in the "trading card" or "Coins" category (at least from what I read).

1) Ebay should allow "standard envelope" option for all items under 3oz.

2) Do you think if I listed them under the sports category that It would hinder the amount of sellers I get?  I want the tracking and security from ebay that the package was shipped.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A lie is a lie.

Since eBay is only allowing "standard envelope" in some categories, then you can only use it for the item that fit that category.

You need to list your stickers correctly and not put them in the wrong category to benefit you.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

They should open up more categories but they do not or cannot.  Not much you can really do about it

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It would be nice if all of the shipping options were available for the seller to select the appropriate ones to use in a listing. 

You should not list the stickers under the sports category because it is unfair to the sellers of that category to have to have the buyers searching for an item and yours take up space in the wrong category.  It's unfair to the buyers of that category to have to sort thru them as well.  

I know it may not seem like a big deal, but without requiring items to be listed in the appropriate category the search function would be even worse than it is.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@alybaly402 

" I want the tracking and security from ebay that the package was shipped."

As many sellers who use the eBay Standard Envelope (ESE) may tell you, the "tracking and security" which you may be seeking is somewhat illusory.

The "tracking" is not regular USPS tracking -- it is metered mail tracking, which only begins when the ESE is delivered to a central USPS Distribution Center, and NOT the post office where you had dropped off the ESE -- and those USPS Distribution Centers are often in another town, or even county.  Plus, there may be an additional delay in the initial "tracking" data if the ESE is dropped off on a weekend, or over a three-day holiday.

And the final metered tracking is NOT the buyer's home address, but the post office of the ZIP Code on the ESE -- and many buyers have been VERY upset when they read that their ESE has been "delivered," when it is actually still sitting at the post office -- especially on weekends and three-day holidays!

As for the "security" angle -- the insurance is limited to $20.00 on single orders, and $50.00 on combined orders.  BUT -- if a seller were to try to open an insurance claim for an item that was NOT entitled to use the ESE (a sticker, for example), that claim would more than likely be rejected, since eBay could rightfully claim that the seller was attempting to "work" the system.

Until eBay makes some adjustments on the ESE categories, you're probably better off just using USPS Ground Advantage -- which offers both the REAL "tracking and security" which you seem to desire.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

My guess is that if you list in an incorrect category it will catch up with you. Otherwise people would be tempted to list in categories with lower fees. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

There is a simple and very inexpensive solution available without you having to put your stickers in the wrong category, but you will not have the tracking and security you desire:

For mailings to a US address, you can send your items in a standard envelope with just a stamp or two on them. You only need to manually "mark as shipped" for your item at eBay for your outgoing mail. The only caveat is you won't get tracking on such mail. However, the stickers you are selling don't sell for such high prices or seem to be the type of items that would necessarily attract scammers or opportunists.

I sell a lot of DMC needlecraft floss, needlecraft kits and quilt patterns that qualify for and fit into different sizes of thin and flexible USPS First Class Letter or larger envelopes. Utilizing free shipping, I've sold about a thousand of such items and send them with either a stamp of two, or by the other very inexpensive larger First Class manila envelopes with a label that leaves the tracking number blank (I use Stamps.com for the larger ones that qualify). Over the years I've only had a couple of items that did not get delivered, and my business model can handle a couple losses here and there out of a thousand.

All I have to do is manually mark them as shipped in my eBay Seller Hub, and send a cut-and-paste message to each US buyer, which notifies them the USPS does not issue a tracking number for such mailings, and assures them that their purchase should arrive in a couple of days. On items that don't qualify for the cheaper shipping cost, or combined multiple sales, I use Ground Advantage with tracking.

Over a thousand or so such total mailings over the years, the major money I save on postage more than makes up for the very rare occasional loss. You may want to consider going that route, as it may be worth it. But if tracking and security are that big a deal for you, you'll need to use the much more expensive Ground Advantage.

Think about it...

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have been using the ESE shipping for awhile now and Im finding that more and more of my envelopes are not being delivered and are hanging around a postal facility for weeks on end. You can't contact the postal service for tracking on these envelopes they just tell you this is not a good service or number . What do you do about this as far as I know nothing. I using this service but I'm starting to lose money.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@toolandpartcrib wrote:

I have been using the ESE shipping for awhile now and Im finding that more and more of my envelopes are not being delivered and are hanging around a postal facility for weeks on end. You can't contact the postal service for tracking on these envelopes they just tell you this is not a good service or number . What do you do about this as far as I know nothing. I using this service but I'm starting to lose money.  

I don't know how you would be losing money in the scenario you mentioned. You do know insurance is included with the ESE service right? https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-standard-envelope?id=...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply