cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stamps.com leaving partnership with the USPS

Last week, shares of stamps.com (NASDAQ: STMP) fell almost 60% after the company announced it was cutting ties with Big Stamp itself, the U.S. Postal Service.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvesting/what-stampscom-was-thinking/vi-BBUcthZ?ocid=spar...

latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Stamps.com leaving partnership with the USPS

I didn't use them before and I certainly have no reason now to start.  Who in their right mind thinks that they can run a company called stamps.com and then bail on the post office?  I don't recall any other service (UPS/FEDEX/DHL) naming their label a stamp.  Hence, stamps.com is kinda limited to.... wait for it.... stamps.

Maybe there's a huge opportunity to get into rubber stamps and reemerge as rubberstamps.com.  I'll start holding my breath now.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

old news

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:

old news

I don't know man! The news are from today. Smiley Very Happy

About six years ago, a postage "reseller" program was put in place to drive revenue to USPS. Many customers began to receive relatively small discounts. But Stamps.com, which became a major reseller, reaped the fruits of a spread between its discounted price for postage and the sale price to users, according to people familiar with the matter. The spread, which varied depending on traffic lanes but could hit double-digit levels, became known in the trade as "postal arbitrage."

On February 21, the marriage ended after El Segundo, California-based Stamps.com said it had terminated its "exclusivity agreement" with USPS covering two of its units – the Stamps.com operation and Endicia, a labeling company. On an analyst call that day, Stamps.com CEO Kenneth T. McBride said the decision was made after USPS refused to waive the exclusive nature of the relationship and allow Stamps.com to incorporate other parcel carriers. Stamps.com said its demands were non-negotiable, so it ended the agreement once USPS didn't budge. USPS declined comment for this article. A Stamps.com spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

https://www.benzinga.com/news/19/03/13274674/spurned-by-usps-denial-to-end-exclusivity-agreement-sta...

latest reply

@rcmbullion wrote:

I didn't use them before and I certainly have no reason now to start.  Who in their right mind thinks that they can run a company called stamps.com and then bail on the post office?  I don't recall any other service (UPS/FEDEX/DHL) naming their label a stamp.  Hence, stamps.com is kinda limited to.... wait for it.... stamps.

Maybe there's a huge opportunity to get into rubber stamps and reemerge as rubberstamps.com.  I'll start holding my breath now.

They are  not "bailing" on USPS, they are giving up their sweet deal so that they don't have to be exclusively a seller of postage and can now offer other carriers along with USPS.

Stamps.com will continue to offer USPS postage, there will be no change at all with that aspect of their business.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

STAMPS DOT COME WAS A HUGE RIP-OFF THAT GOT HACKED NUMEROUS TIMES -STAY AWAY FROM "STAMPS DOT COM"
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Although Stamps.com bought Endicia from Rubbermaid a few years ago, it appears that Endicia will continue to sell USPS postage:

https://online-shipping-blog.endicia.com/endicia-customers-can-continue-to-buy-print-all-usps-servic...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@selektabunch wrote:
STAMPS DOT COME WAS A HUGE RIP-OFF THAT GOT HACKED NUMEROUS TIMES -STAY AWAY FROM "STAMPS DOT COM"

Maybe if you shout it a little louder it will actually be true lol.

The only data breach/security issue that ever happened with them originated from a problem with USPS code being exploited, not at all their fault. I used them for years and their prices were certainly no rip off. Sounds like you have an axe to grind lol.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply