cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sponsored & Promoted-2 Questions?

What is the difference between Sponsored & Promoted?, & Why do some listings state that they are promoted & others do not,even though they are?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@meme6253 wrote:

What is the difference between Sponsored & Promoted?, & Why do some listings state that they are promoted & others do not,even though they are?

From a Seller perspective they are "promoted", from a buyer perspective they are "sponsored".

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I haven't seen any listings stating Promoted, only Sponsored.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

From a Seller perspective they are "promoted", from a buyer perspective they are "sponsored".

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@slippinjimmy is right, it's basically just a difference in terminology for the seller side to the buyer side.

On the seller side eBay calls their various ad products "promoted listings."

On the buyer side, anything that is being shown to them due to paid promotion is "sponsored."

As far as some not stating they are promoted even though they are, I'd be interested to know more about what you mean by that - the FTC has some pretty serious regulations about disclosing paid promotions, so if you're talking about paid ads that are not labeled as "sponsored" on the buyer side, that would be a big no-no on eBay's part.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The reason you might see some of (presumably your own) listings that don't say promoted is that they are being organically placed in those particular search results, rather than showing up there because of your promotion.  The same would be true of other people's items but I don't see that you'd have any way to know for sure someone else was promoting their item but it wasn't showing, so I'm guessing the first option is what you mean.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I am talking about some of my own listings,Some will actually state that they are promoted & others do not even though i know they are.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I have seen it both ways

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes,I see it with my own

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

They are one and the same.  To be sponsored the seller must be using some form of Promoted listings.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

They still show the listing as organic..........even tho you are promoting that listing.......  In other words there are 2 versions of the same listing.......one promoted, one not........ If a buyer buys  the organic listing,  a seller wouldn't pay the Promoted Listing Fee......

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I believe that ever since ebay lost the suit over the "featured listings" that they are not allowed to claim listings as "promoted" on buyer facing screens.

They did initially list them in search etc as 'promoted' but swiftly changed them to 'sponsored' (which in this case means by the seller.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You promote a listing, eBay sponsors it.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply