cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speculation about US withdrawal from the UPU and the end of USPS subsidies for China?

It is my understanding that President Trump has called for a withdrawal of the United States from the Universal Postal Union, therefore ending the substantial subsidy for mailing packages.

It was to be as of October/2018 and take about one year.

I don't have much more information about it, but, I was wondering how people think it might affect eBay since it is soooo full of items shipped from China.  
If it actually goes through, it could be the end of the huge number of items from China clogging up eBay since it would no longer be cost effective. It sure would level the playing field for sellers in the US. 

Any thoughts about this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Speculation about US withdrawal from the UPU and the end of USPS subsidies for China?

Most of the UPU  cheap postage benefits American Manufacturing,   like keeping the costs down on small Chinese manufactured parts.    I doubt that Congress will vote to end the treaty.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

President Trump has already withdrawn from the UPU and says it will end the Chinese subsidy. I don't believe China gets to vote.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It would help US sellers in theory.  We hope it goes through sooner than later.  We are very curious to see how ebay reacts to china not bieng able to ship for basicly nothing.  Best regards

Message 5 of 5
latest reply