cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaking of Guaranteed Delivery...

How many ebay delivery trucks have you spotted lately?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Sounds more like intansient/irrational thinking.

Intansient?

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

Intansient/intractable...tomato/tomatoe
Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Don't forget if the stuff does not arrive in time it is YOUR fault for choosing the carrier.  Even if the buyer chooses the carrier it is your fault for going along with it.  

If the seller chose to offer a carrier as a shipping option, then IMHO the seller is the one who "chose the carrier".

Or are you saying that eBay is allowing buyers to select a carrier that the seller did not choose to offer as a shipping option? 

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

I've got to laugh, when I hear ebay is paying "out of their own pocket..."
The buyer has the option to return the item delivered late.  ebay may cover the return shipping for now, but what about reimbursing the seller for original shipping cost and cost of the lost sale?

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

@annindallas wrote:
Hi brian.t@ebay.

We all know that once a seller's guaranteed delivery doesn't meet the deadline, for whatever reason, seller will pay, one way or another.

So here's my question, having been in a close situation:

When the seller rushing to the post office in a flood or on icy roads, or another act of God, in order to meet her handling time, dies as a result of ebays promised delivery, which she/he did may not have agreed to, what then?

Will his or her dependents be taking care of?

Who pays for the funeral?

No seller is required to be in the program.

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@annindallas wrote:
Hi brian.t@ebay.

We all know that once a seller's guaranteed delivery doesn't meet the deadline, for whatever reason, seller will pay, one way or another.

When the seller rushing to the post office in a flood or on icy roads, or another act of God, in order to meet her handling time, dies as a result of ebays promised delivery, which she/he did may not have agreed to, what then?

And if someone is fool enough to put their life at risk because of an internet website, well...

bad stuff can happen when people do unwise things.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 22 of 43
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Intansient/intractable...tomato/tomatoe

I believe the word you are looking for is intransigent.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

Hi brian@ebay

I have a question.

Before GD, my listings showed 3 day delivery with Priority Mail and 1-2 Days with Priority Express (I offer both).

Now that I'm in GD, all of my items show 4 Days ... on both options ... including Express ...  😞  So my items do not show when a buyer uses the toggle 😞 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@annindallas wrote:
Hi brian.t@ebay.

And if someone is fool enough to put their life at risk because of an internet website, well...   bad stuff can happen when people do unwise things.

And what is really sad about it is those same people want to blame everyone else for their actions/problems. You here it all the time when those folks sue someone for their own stupidity.

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@scalemotorcars wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

Don't forget if the stuff does not arrive in time it is YOUR fault for choosing the carrier.  Even if the buyer chooses the carrier it is your fault for going along with it.  

Hi @ittybitnot, I need to clarify that eBay will cover the shipping refund, voucher, or return shipping label if an item with Guaranteed Delivery is delivered late. eBay will also remove any negative feedback related to a late delivery. Sellers that use the handling time option just need to ship the item out withing their stated handling time. If this requirement is met, eBay will take care of the rest! (I do need to mention that through 2018, eBay will cover the shipping refund, voucher, or return shipping cost even if the seller doesn't meet their handling time).

@nawlinsron2, eBay is guaranteeing that if an item isn't delivery by the guaranteed date, we will compensate the buyer from our own pockets. I encourage everyone to carefully read through the Guaranteed Delivery FAQ for more details.

Thanks for the clarification but I would like to add that this only works as long as you have the carrier scan the label within your handling time. Its no different then the requirement for TRS. And yes I read the part about 2018 exception but in 2019 its going to matter.

I ship everything I sell the same day or next. I have 100% on my Tracking Uploaded on Time metric yet I have a 1.8 Deficit on my Late Shipment rate because USPS is NOT required to scan my delivery confirmation label until its actually delivered.

Now to be fair most of the time they do. But busy local terminals will often pass that task to the main shipping hub. So if you want to make sure your covered you will need to stand in line and watch them scan every item. Even better get a scan sheet so you can prove you shipped it on time. 

Hi @scalemotorcars, that's correct. After 2018, if an item is delivered late AND the seller doesn't have an acceptance scan within their handling time, they will be responsible for the shipping refund. While it's not very common that an item is delivered late and an acceptance scan is missed, this is still something sellers should consider when deciding to remain in the Guaranteed Delivery program or opt out.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@annindallas wrote:
Hi brian.t@ebay.

Hi @annindallas. Acts of God, states of emergencies, or other catastrophic weather events are situations in which we have protected seller's metrics in the past, and will continue to do so in the future. Selling on eBay should never be considered more important than your personal safety, and please understand we are not asking, encouraging, or advocating you put yourself in harm's way in order to meet a shipping time line. That's why the expectations are an average of all transactions, and the goal is not 100%.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@lecroy3 wrote:

Hi Brian.  Why does my Site Preferences opt-in for GD say Ebay will cover late deliveries through June 30 then the next paragraph states through 2018. Which is correct?Screenshot_20180602-202657.png

Hi @lecroy3, thanks for pointing this out to me! It looks like this page hasn't been updated with the new timeframe. The correct information is that we will cover all late deliveries, even when the seller doesn't meet their handling time, through 2018. I'll get this reported to the Guaranteed Delivery team so it can be corrected. Thanks again Smiley Happy

Brian,
Community Team
Message 28 of 43
latest reply

Received a nice message the other day from ebay, saying that because of my consistent on-time handling record, I am eligible for the eBay Guaranteed Delivery program.  It goes on to explain that as long as we meet our handling time and upload tracking information, that ebay will guarantee any late deliveries by offering the buyer:

• Shipping cost reimbursement
  • Voucher for a future eBay purchase
  • Free return label if the seller accepts returns

Plus, any negative or neutral buyer feedback will be removed, as long as the handling time is met.

--------------------

Although it sounds nice, I respectfully Opted Out.  There was a Comments section asking Why?, and I answered that since I live in Zone 8, it's not realistic to guarantee delivery by a certain number of days to the Continental U.S., which I believe is 3 days or less.  Even the USPS will never guarantee delivery times.

So let's say I opted in to the ebay Guaranteed Delivery program, feeling confident that, hey, no worries, the Guaranteed By Ebay (GBE) program will cover me for any late deliveries.  And let's say the GBE does continue covering me through 2018. What about AFTER that? I think anyone would agree that one thing is certain: Even if it’s extended, it WILL end at some point.  Maybe sooner rather than later, when the high dollar cost of this program is finally realized. And you know Sellers will somehow shoulder or bear some of those costs/losses.

THEN the most insidious aspect of this GBE program -- once it ends -- will be realized, when it leaves in its wake Buyers who have become so used to having these "perks" provided by ebay, that they become more demanding and expect to be compensated for "late" deliveries like they once were, and the entitlement complex will bloom to its full Technicolor splendor.  (ok, maybe too dramatic, but you get the drift.) In other words, you can't keep giving and giving and giving something away freely, and then suddenly take it away. That engenders anger, bitterness, and general displeasure, which would possibly be manifested by perhaps let's say unwarranted SNAD returns, undeserved negative feedback, other sundry not-so-nice knee-jerk reactions..

Of course this is mere speculation that the relatively short-term help and intervention by ebay in its GBE program will only stir the pot and create a hot gooey mess.  And that the ebay Guaranteed Delivery program itself at the get-go is flawed and a bad idea, especially since (repeating) the USPS itself will never, ever guarantee delivery times. And although there is the argument that, well, Sellers are not required to participate in this program, the conjecture remains that the effects of it may ultimately affect ALL Sellers.

Disclaimer:  These comments are generalizations, only, because I believe most Buyers are reasonable and golden.  Comments are IMHO and as usual are subject to all expected foibles and flaws.

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

@generaluser3 wrote:

Received a nice message the other day from ebay, saying that because of my consistent on-time handling record, I am eligible for the eBay Guaranteed Delivery program.  It goes on to explain that as long as we meet our handling time and upload tracking information, that ebay will guarantee any late deliveries by offering the buyer:

• Shipping cost reimbursement
  • Voucher for a future eBay purchase
  • Free return label if the seller accepts returns

Plus, any negative or neutral buyer feedback will be removed, as long as the handling time is met.

--------------------

Although it sounds nice, I respectfully Opted Out.  There was a Comments section asking Why?, and I answered that since I live in Zone 8, it's not realistic to guarantee delivery by a certain number of days to the Continental U.S., which I believe is 3 days or less.  Even the USPS will never guarantee delivery times.

So let's say I opted in to the ebay Guaranteed Delivery program, feeling confident that, hey, no worries, the Guaranteed By Ebay (GBE) program will cover me for any late deliveries.  And let's say the GBE does continue covering me through 2018. What about AFTER that? I think anyone would agree that one thing is certain: Even if it’s extended, it WILL end at some point.  Maybe sooner rather than later, when the high dollar cost of this program is finally realized. And you know Sellers will somehow shoulder or bear some of those costs/losses.

THEN the most insidious aspect of this GBE program -- once it ends -- will be realized, when it leaves in its wake Buyers who have become so used to having these "perks" provided by ebay, that they become more demanding and expect to be compensated for "late" deliveries like they once were, and the entitlement complex will bloom to its full Technicolor splendor.  (ok, maybe too dramatic, but you get the drift.) In other words, you can't keep giving and giving and giving something away freely, and then suddenly take it away. That engenders anger, bitterness, and general displeasure, which would possibly be manifested by perhaps let's say unwarranted SNAD returns, undeserved negative feedback, other sundry not-so-nice knee-jerk reactions..

Of course this is mere speculation that the relatively short-term help and intervention by ebay in its GBE program will only stir the pot and create a hot gooey mess.  And that the ebay Guaranteed Delivery program itself at the get-go is flawed and a bad idea, especially since (repeating) the USPS itself will never, ever guarantee delivery times. And although there is the argument that, well, Sellers are not required to participate in this program, the conjecture remains that the effects of it may ultimately affect ALL Sellers.

Disclaimer:  These comments are generalizations, only, because I believe most Buyers are reasonable and golden.  Comments are IMHO and as usual are subject to all expected foibles and flaws.

Hi @generaluser3, I'm happy to clarify that we've already announced that we will continue covering late deliveries after 2018 if the seller meets their handling time. Through 2018 we will cover any late delivery. I also want to mention that we do not have any plans to end this program.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 30 of 43
latest reply