Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold item now I can’t find it can I ask buyer if he will except a replacement

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sold item now I can’t find it can I ask buyer if he will except a replacement

It will not hurt to ask the seller to see if they accept a replacement item. If the buyer prefers to cancel the order, then you're going to have to refund the buyer.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sold item now I can’t find it can I ask buyer if he will except a replacement

It will not hurt to ask the seller to see if they accept a replacement item. If the buyer prefers to cancel the order, then you're going to have to refund the buyer.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Next time check the item before listing.   You can be suspended from selling for life if that happens too much.  More than once can be too much.  It's a rule eBay is very serious about.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I've had this happen to me as a buyer several times. And in every instance, I had to argue with my conscience on how to react... I usually ask for a refund and leave it at that. But, a buyer may not be as lenient and may give you a negative feedback or other grief, on top of you receiving a defect from eBay for not having the stock in hand for an active listing. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

You can pitch that to your buyer, but you need the correct order on record, in my opinion. That calls for a cancellation on your part and a relist/repurchase on your buyer's part.

Naturally, if the buyer is willing to accept "a replacement"/to buy the relist (your items seem pretty one-of-a-kind... I'd not count on that), you can cancel as 'Buyer requested'. If the buyer is not onboard, you'll have to cancel as 'Out of stock/Item no longer available' and take the ding to your seller account. You only get a couple of those every rolling 12 months... they are for emergencies only... but you do have that out.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your understanding and your comments , I have already **bleep** the idea of replacement just waiting to hear back from buyer no problem with refunding money that’s not the issue just trying to make him happy

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Then again, eBay's bots often relist sold items. I can document many such instances but it would be a waste of time. Ebay just apologizes and promises to "do better". 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I see you have already made a decision but you can always communicate with your buyer about any problems. They usually actually appreciate the attention and honesty. Everyone makes mistakes, especially eBay customer service agents and 'bots. Good luck going forward, eBay makes it harder and harder for sellers. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Hi there,

If you've sold an item but can no longer find it, it's understandable that you'd want to offer a replacement to the buyer. It's worth reaching out to the buyer and asking if they would be willing to accept a replacement instead of a refund.

In terms of finding a replacement, have you considered contacting the Replacement GlenAllen service? They may be able to help you find a suitable replacement for the item you sold, or offer advice on where to look for one.

I hope this helps and good luck with resolving the situation!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hopefully the issue was resolved, as it happened almost 3 months ago.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@libertycb52 wrote:

just trying to make him happy

Why not a refund AND a replacement?

That will make him happy.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 11 of 11
latest reply