cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold brand new game, scanned UPC barcode for listing template, now buyers demand refund

Hello, if you have time please help. 

i recently sold two copies of Nier: Automata for PS4. Brand new/ Sealed. 

When I list games I just scan the UPC barcode on the back and use the the information provided. Little did I know, when you scan Nier: Automata the Day One title comes up, no matter what “Edition” you scan. (the day one was only available the day the game came out a year ago). 

I assumed the two buyers knew the “Day One” Edition is no longer available, because each buyer has purchased the game, waited between 5-10 days, and then asked for a refund because the item is “not as described”.

i’ve messaged Each buyer explaining that I only scanned the UPC barcode and used the eBay template provided. Nowhere in my listing body does it say anything about Day One Edition. I told the buyers I understand their concerns, and would gladly accept the returns (even though I feel dumb because eBay’s template is what did this).

I also just asked if the buyer(s) had opened the game because i did not want to accept an item back in condition different than how I sent it. 

Borh buyers ignored me. I don’t know if they were expecting me to just not accept the return, and then lose the cases... but even without responses, I went ahead and accepted both returns. 

I have two questions; One; if I used the eBay UPC barcode scan and used the template provided, am I still completely at fault here? (I know I am, but I find it frustrating eBay doesn’t have the right description for a UPC barcode, as eBay recommends you scan the UPC to list your item lol) 

second, and more importantly, if I shipped brand new / Sealed games two weeks ago, and the buyers return me opened/ used games (I own the game myself, it took about a week or two to beat) is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to accept that the buyers pulled a fast one on me for not double checking the details provided by eBay? 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Sold brand new game, scanned UPC barcode for listing template, now buyers demand refund

I’ve already paid return shipping, and I will issue refunds when I receive the returned items. It would be nice if they were returned back to me Brand New/ Sealed, as I sent them. I understand either way it is on me to clarify my listing is accurate (even the part provided by eBay) and I plan to fully refund.

To be clear, I do not think my buyer’s are “pulling something” but i, personally, would never receive an item, see that it was not what I expected, and then proceed to wait multiple weeks, and/ or open the item before returning it. That just seems to add insult to injury, but I understand the buyer has a right to do whatever they want... different sellers have different view points I guess.

I am definitely going to be more mindful of using eBay generated information when listing items with the UPC barcode scan.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: Sold brand new game, scanned UPC barcode for listing template, now buyers demand refund

You technically are not 100% to blame eBay shares the blame but they won't take responsibility for it unfortunately.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I’ve accepted responsibility for it. I shouldn’t have been careless enough to not check the title of my listing. I was specific in the description and did not mention anything about the “Day One” aspect, but that’s neither here nor there.

The title eBay provided me for the Game was Nier: Automata — Day One and I should have changed it, but I did not even realize the discrepancy until it was too late, and the items had sold.

I’m just hoping to make the best of the situation, and hopefully receive the returned games, and refund my buyers/ leave it on a positive note. Knock on wood.

This is the first time an eBay UPC scan provided me with misinformation about the product I was selling. I’ve learned something though, and I’m hoping for the best. Thank you all for responding, it truly helps ease the frustration. 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

OP, you should post your story in the "product catalog" message board too.  That board is monitored by the catalog team and they may be able to help compensate you for the return shipping or something similar if the mistake is due to the catalog.  Inaccurate information in the catalog is a major issue.  The last seller update made mention of plans in the near future to force (site to automatically add) catalog specifics to existing listing where they can be matched.  Your situation is a great example of the kind of absolute chaos that would cause for the marketplace. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Hello, I took your advice and also posted over on the product catalog forum. Thank you for the help. If any of you want to look at that post and give any feedback, maybe I can find a solution or some help from eBay. 

Furthermore, I’m just hoping my buyers accept the honest mistake, I hope I don’t lose out, and I hope eBay finds a way to make their catalog more accurate. That being said, I need to be much more mindful when listing items and know not always to trust the computer, lol. Thank you everyone. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

wrote:

OP, you should post your story in the "product catalog" message board too.  That board is monitored by the catalog team and they may be able to help compensate you for the return shipping or something similar if the mistake is due to the catalog.  Inaccurate information in the catalog is a major issue.  The last seller update made mention of plans in the near future to force (site to automatically add) catalog specifics to existing listing where they can be matched.  Your situation is a great example of the kind of absolute chaos that would cause for the marketplace. 

Applause to you, threshold, for this great suggestion!  It would be good for them to know of this.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

wrote:

Hello, I took your advice and also posted over on the product catalog forum. Thank you for the help. If any of you want to look at that post and give any feedback, maybe I can find a solution or some help from eBay. 

Furthermore, I’m just hoping my buyers accept the honest mistake, I hope I don’t lose out, and I hope eBay finds a way to make their catalog more accurate. That being said, I need to be much more mindful when listing items and know not always to trust the computer, lol. Thank you everyone. 

FWIW, I agree with you~you would think the buyer would see it was not what they ordered and just return it, not open it.  Maybe though the buyer thought they would be happy with the game as it was, and that was in their mind when they opened it.  I know that is weak, but it is possible.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply