cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold a digital code to someone using the GSP

Ive never run into this situation before. I sold a digital code for a video game. This is usually no problem as i mark it shipped and message them. But now ebay has a step in this transaction and i have to send it to them. Should i ask the buyer if they are ok with paying the shipping from the warehouse? I dont think they are expecting to pay any shipping 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay does not provide seller protections for digital items or codes. 

You can send a code on a card with tracking in order to show you sent something, but theres nothing stopping someone from using the code and then claiming it doesnt work. It's very much a sell at your own risk type of item. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How has eBay stepped in?
Has the buyer opened an Item Not Received claim?

Since you cannot prove the shipment or receipt of any digital item, you have to refund.

At one time sellers of digital items were sending tracked letters with a friendly greeting and a papercopy of the code tothe buyer who had already received the digital transmission.

Overseas tracking makes that too expensive. One of the reasons for the GSP (now replaced by eIS).

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Ebay does not provide seller protections for digital items or codes. 

You can send a code on a card with tracking in order to show you sent something, but theres nothing stopping someone from using the code and then claiming it doesnt work. It's very much a sell at your own risk type of item. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@cyberenddragon92 

Sorry for your situation, however digital items are restricted.  The item has to be tangible and you do not own the rights to give out that code.  Here's a link that may be helpful in the future.  I would suggest you don't list anymore digital codes or items or you will find yourself removed from eBay, permanently:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/electronically-delivered-items-policy...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I talked to them and they agreed to pay shipping on a physical package with the code in  it from the warehouse. Free shipping from me. So it all worked out. Won’t be selling anymore codes 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply