cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small scam attempt?

I had an inexpensive knife listed for $10.   I received an offer for $5 - its not a great knife, but its worth five bucks so I decided to accept, but as I was about to do so, I received a message from the person who made the offer:

dear sirs ;you exceped my offer of 5.00.so you,so you owe me 6.00 dollars...please sent it to my email addressor put it back in my checking acc...thank you....

So then the transaction went through but at the $10 it was selling for anyway.   Did this guy just scam himself?   How should I handle this?   I haven't bought the shipping label yet.  Also - what is this guy thinking?   Was he looking at a coupon or something?   How was this scam supposed to work?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Small scam attempt?

Sounds like the buyer thought sending the offer gave him $5 off when he paid the $10 for it?

Doesn't sound like a scam just a buyer who is very very confused about how ebay works.

I'd just ship it and refund him the $5. Don't know where he's getting $6 from, maybe a typo?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Is the person who Messaged you the same one who bought the knife?

No you don't owe him anything.

Since he is unhappy send your own Message.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. I am willing to cancel the entire transaction if you prefer."
Rinse repeat.

The customer is evidently illiterate and dysnumeric. It will not get better.

They should not be allowed near sharp objects.

And cancel as Buyer Request.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Sounds like the buyer had trouble accepting the offer and paid full price instead, and now is asking you to refund the difference.

I'd guess they're saying $6 instead of $5 because of sales tax maybe? Or maybe they're not great with math.

Either way I don't think it's a scam. I think it's a buyer that's not fluent in English and maybe not great with computers.

I'd prob just refund the $5 and ship, but if you prefer you can message the buyer and ask if they want the $5 or if they want to cancel.

GLORIOUS!

USPS rates increase July 1st & 14th. Read more here.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@bajasierra wrote:

I had an inexpensive knife listed for $10.   I received an offer for $5 - its not a great knife, but its worth five bucks so I decided to accept, but as I was about to do so, I received a message from the person who made the offer:

dear sirs ;you exceped my offer of 5.00.so you,so you owe me 6.00 dollars...please sent it to my email addressor put it back in my checking acc...thank you....

So then the transaction went through but at the $10 it was selling for anyway.   Did this guy just scam himself?   How should I handle this?   I haven't bought the shipping label yet.  Also - what is this guy thinking?   Was he looking at a coupon or something?   How was this scam supposed to work?

He made an offer and went ahead and bought anyway. I don't know where he comes across $6 though... if he paid $10, then you would owe him $5, if you decide to be generous and refund the overpayment. I generally refund when I send an offer and they go ahead and buy at full price (but they have to message me to let me know, or I won't know it's the person I sent the offer to that paid full price).

C.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Don't sound like a scam, buyer just didn't buy through the offer.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Does the buyer understand that he pays the shipping charge? His full payment (based on $5 accepted offer) would be $5 + sales tax + the shipping charge.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I would refund the buyer $5 and explain to the buyer that you owe $5 not $6.

Then proceed with the transaction.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Aside from buyers math, you should also do your own math regarding this $5 offer. After fees and shipping, you are not left with much. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Several people didn't understand - or I didn't write clearly.   I was about to accept his offer but never did.   I was about to but got a message from him that because I had accepted his offer (which I hadn't) it meant that somehow I now owe him money.  In actuality, I now have a small $10 sale, but I have not printed the shipping label.   I wrote him asking to explain but I don't think he responded yet.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Sorry, I misunderstood.

In that case I wouldn't do anything.

If you are still interested in doing business with this person,  wait and see what they do.

If you are not interested in dealing with this person, block them.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Actually, on reading this he really does seem to think I accepted his offer, and it appears he really must want the knife so I will likely ship it and give a partial refund - I have never used that but think I have it with my account. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I just had a few bargain basement items I was getting rid of - this was buyer-paid shipping.   Yes, hardly worth the packing effort but that's the one thing I'm pretty good at, and selling anything seems to keep things moving. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@bajasierra 

So just to be clear, you NEVER accepted the $5 offer they sent you??

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@bajasierra 

So just to be clear, you NEVER accepted the $5 offer they sent you??

I think they AGREED on it but nothing more.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply