cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchy buyer. Am I protected?

I'm not a professional ebayer.  I had an unused and unopened (plastic still on it) brand new video game that I wanted to sell rather than have it collect dust.  I never expected such a headache from it.

My listing said no returns. 

Buyer asked if I could ship the day he purchased.  I offered free shipping, and in order to ship that day I had to use UPS which cost me a little more than intended.  Not a huge deal.  But from the word go I'm down $6.  Had it gone well after that, it never would have bothered me.

He commented later that he was going to ask if I'd take less money for the game but bought it at my asking price, which was less than or equal to retail depending on the store.  A few hours later he asked to cancel stating it was for a friend and his friend had a different system.  I told him I'd accept the UNOPENED item back for a refund minus my shipping cost that I paid extra for.

He then asked if he could keep it but also receive a $15 refund since he can't use the game.  He backed off and asked for $5 refund and he'd keep the game.  At this point I'm pretty sure he's just trying to con me out of money based on his previous comment about wanting to pay less and the ridiculous request that I refund half the money and let him keep the game.

I repeated my offer to accept his return of the unopened item and refund all but my shipping cost.

He decided to keep the game.  Three days later I get a message that he opened the game and the disk doesn't read and could he return it.

Now the item is opened.  I have no guarantee he didn't use the codes that came with it and can no longer sell it as new.  I smell a load of bull here.  Am I obligated to accept his return on the claim it doesn't work even though I'm sure he's lying (and my listing said no returns)?  Will ebay force me to refund his money?  I'd be out the money and possibly the game and most certainly the "new" status.  I'm not a store that can send it back to the manufacturer as defective. 

I could care less if he gives me a negative review for refusing.  I sell something once every 5 years if that.  I've never had an issue before.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Mornin Jedi,

Wow...what a pain.

If you are not concerned about any negatives and seldom sell here and want to do what is right...DO NOT GIVE IN.

Hopefully all your emails with the buyer are through ebay messages and if so...keep them because you will need them.

Personally I would fight this buyer with everything I had. I would pre-emptively call c/s to put this buyer on their radar and I would report the buyer for abuse.

Others may come along with a better method of handling this but I would not allow someone to take advantage of me like this without a fight.

Mr C
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If he opens a SNAD case, he will have to return but you will pay original and return shipping and item price back to him.  The MBG trumps your no returns.

If all this has gone through messages, though, he may never open a case or send it back.  He may be just trying to see what he can do.  He may not have buyer protection anymore as well if this is a pattern with  him.

Hopefully he will go away soon.  Good Luck, you have been through a lot with this "buyer" already.  Sorry this happened to you.  You can report the buyer, I believe, option is on page where you would leave feedback for him.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Well, I called customer service, who reviewed the messages and thinks it's worth fighting him.  I also reported him.  In the likely event that I get screwed in the end, perhaps my report will help prevent him from doing it to someone else. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The reps are not accountable for what they say.

If you don't issue a refund w/o a return - or authorize the return and arrange for the label - eBay will find in the buyer's favor, force the return, and smack you with a "case closed without seller resolution" (that's the toughest seller metric).

There is no seller protection.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

First.........GOOD LUCK!!!

Unfortunately, the way things are headed here, a lot more sellers may be selling things once every 5 years!

It sounds like a whole lot of back and forth, at the moment.  Has the buyer opened a case?  If not, DO NOT give even a partial refund strictly based on the messaging back and forth.  My feeling is the buyer is just probing, seeing what he can squeeze out of you.  No SNAD case, no need to accept a return, no need to issue partial or total refund.  Yes, he may neg, but doesn't sound like that's a big worry.

If he DOES open a return for SNAD, that's different.  The main thing to keep in mind is that even IF a case is opened, that doesn't necessarily mean REFUND.  Buyer would have to meet some requirements first before you would be obligated to issue a refund.  More on that, as needed.

For now, would STOP all the back and forth noise with your buyer.  Your buyer can go about opening up a case; you have no need to instruct him to do so.  IF case is opened, you will be presented several options to offer the buyer.  More on that, as needed.

For 2022, a few things to keep in mind:

-no "free shipping"

-no same day delivery.  One of the current issues posted here has been with Paypal charge backs a day or so after payment has been made, and seller in a rush to ship.  Of course, in 2022, we may all be back to using checks!  Those are those paper thingies you write out........oh, nevermind.

See ya in 5!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"The reps are not accountable for what they say... There is no seller protection."

I'm well aware of that and am not holding my breath on winning.  But if he wants his money back, he has to fight for it.  His history shows he buys a lot and it's a fairly new account (Fall 2016).  Maybe I'll get lucky and he's already been flagged for excessive returns.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There is no "fighting".  The buyer simply escalates, and eBay rules in buyer's favor. 

There is also no such thing as "Team Sellers".  Most of the bad buyers that we hear about on the boards are...other eBay sellers doing nasty things under a buying ID.

Why put yourself through more misery?  You might find yourself in a circumstance in life that makes it necessary for you to sell on eBay.  One unresolved strike is halfway to suspension (that's a euphamism for permanent selling ban).

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

"There is no "fighting". The buyer simply escalates, and eBay rules in buyer's favor."

Granted, most likely a small amount, and maybe not worth the calorie burn.  Buyer can escalate (open claim), but that does NOT absolve them of their return responsibilities, the simplest of which is you gotta get your item back BEFORE issuing a refund!  No return, no refund.  Can point that out to ebay.  Then.....

ep is right on one thing.  "ebay rules........".   The great wildcard!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

"But if he wants his money back, he has to fight for it."

It all starts with buyer filing claim.  No claim, no sweat.  Some of the buyers requirements are tracking for return shipping, ship via same method, 5 days for you to receive return (international is different).  Mind you, you may also have some things to do if claim opened, mainly provide shipping.  Then wait for return.

If, after 5 days no return, call ebay and ask to close in your favor.  Also, if claim opened, your Paypal funds for the transaction will go on hold.  Nothing to fret about unless claim opened in Paypal instead of ebay.  Different ball of wax.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply