cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I establish a company to sell on ebay

I am a new seller from outside the United States. I was wondering if it is possible to sell items without establishing a company. The reason I am asking this is that the post office where I am living apply many rules that limit your activity. As an example, they are asking me to not send an order with a 3 similar items otherwise I will be considered as doing a commercial activity and the order may be detained in customs before going abroad!. Establishing a company means invoice, bills, taxes... etc. Should I establish a company to sell on ebay? Does the rule I have said, regarding post office, exist in other countries? Is there a work around?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Should I establish a company to sell on ebay

Hello.  The rules in Turkey sound very different than those in the US.  The post office can not dictate that someone start a company based on their shipping patterns here.  That said, I don't think anyone on this board will be able to help you.  Your best bet is to learn more about such laws in Turkey -- either that or start using more than one post office location Smiley Wink

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your answer. I don't know if you have lived here or not! Smiley Surprised. Will sending products using different post office branches do the trick? I am a little bit confused because I have asked a customs broker and he has told me that you can send as many items as you want without establishing a company!! I would be happy if you can help me to solve this delimma please. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@trustshopguy wrote:

I am a new seller from outside the United States. I was wondering if it is possible to sell items without establishing a company. The reason I am asking this is that the post office where I am living apply many rules that limit your activity. As an example, they are asking me to not send an order with a 3 similar items otherwise I will be considered as doing a commercial activity and the order may be detained in customs before going abroad!. Establishing a company means invoice, bills, taxes... etc. Should I establish a company to sell on ebay? Does the rule I have said, regarding post office, exist in other countries? Is there a work around?

In the United States, it is the commerical activity that results in business records and taxes, not the establishment of a company.

Individuals here are required to keep records and pay taxes regardless of whether they are  registered as a business or not. 

It sounds like your country might be using the post office to help the government discover those who should be paying taxes. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@trustshopguy  No I have never lived there nor even been to that region of the world.  However, I would listen to @luckythewinner  it sounds like he may be on to something above.  Might be worth researching that.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Here in Turkey to send items abroad you have got to accompany an invoice with the items and at least you should establish a personal company which is the simplest form possible in which just one person can work. To do that you should hire an accountant to do the work related to the goverment, at the same time, since now you are a formal worker, you should pay for the health insurance. These conditions are hard for the newbies. I hoped to find a solution here Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
latest reply