cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping replica coins from Europe to US

Dear Ebay community.

I have slight or big problem with item that I sold. These are coins that are replicas of gold famous americans coins. Problem is there is no mark that they are copies/replicas nor any document confirming it. I sold it in right category (replicas) and in commercial invoice I stated that these are copies/replicas made of cooper not gold. But then I read Hobby Protection Act - and few other documents posted on US Mint sites and US Customs sites. Im kinda Lost - because it look like it should not even be called coins (as these are not coins regarding US Mint rules) . More then that - Hobby Protection Act says that to avoid flooding US of fake coins Act was raised but it starts from date that it is raised (1973). Does that mean that „coins” before that date which doesnt have firm marking on them (copies/replicas) are allowed to cross US border and no implication occurs because of that? In the same document you can read „all coins” that is also strange because in one document you read that „coins replicas” are not even coins and in other document term „coin” when it shouldn’t. Term „all coins” also means coins before Hobby Protection Act. Am I right. 

So i really like to know and my buyer also want to know why I cancelled this sale. I dont want any trouble for buyer (to bring counterfeit coins  - because they might be treated like those) and also for me as seller. 

Im attaching photo. I understand Hobby Protection Act as Act which take care of consumers not to be misleaded with items that looks genuine but are not. Those „coins” looks genuine. Coin expert was misleaded in first place (told me that they are Gold, had to double check it that they are not) there is No mark copy or replica on them.

really want to know if sending those to US is possible and if i will not be subject to any legal action (and buyer also)

Kind regards 

Casper 

21842112-399A-438B-91A2-D672775AD9E0.jpeg

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You may not sell replica coins on eBay.    Period.    It's that simple.    Replica coins are prohibited.

Read the policy here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/replica-coins-currency-policy?id=5042

-

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

"Coin expert was misleaded in first place (told me that they are Gold, had to double check it that they are not)"

Not an expert but a crook told you that.

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Well . You didnt help with your comment. Where is logic also ?? Crook would tell me they are cooper and gave me an offer. That one checked those coins and did not want it for and price … so Please if you like to help, Please help … if not then this is not this forum to post useless comments 

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Find a jewelry store, a precious metal dealer or maybe even a pawn shop. Most of them have precious metal analyzers that can tell you specifically what the coins are made of. If they are gold the analyzer can also determine the Karat purity of the gold. 

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Its not about what they are made of. The question is simple and i described it in details. Can I send „coins” to US which doesnt have replica or copy mark on them. Is it legal? 

they are not Gold - confirmed i also mentioned this in my post. 

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

They need to be stamped copy or fake. You could find yourself in trouble for sending counterfeit coins into the US. Counterfeiting and selling counterfeits is a felony charge. 

They take that very serious in the US. 

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Thank you. Thats what i thought . Just wanted to hear other opinions. 

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@kacpe-3 wrote:

Its not about what they are made of. The question is simple and i described it in details. Can I send „coins” to US which doesnt have replica or copy mark on them. Is it legal? 

they are not Gold - confirmed i also mentioned this in my post. 

NO throw them in the trash.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Perhaps you don't know this, but anyone can post anything any time on these Boards, as long as it does not violate the rules.  Telling someone not to post is very rude.  

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

You may not sell replica coins on eBay.    Period.    It's that simple.    Replica coins are prohibited.

Read the policy here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/replica-coins-currency-policy?id=5042

-

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

I sold it in right category (replicas)

You sold it in the "Paper Money: US>Replicas & Reproductions" category. That is not the correct category because your item is not a replica of US paper money.

I do not think there is a replica coin category, because it appears that replica coins are not permitted on eBay regardless of how you describe them :

Replica coins and currency policy
What is the policy?
Replica coins are not allowed

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Excuse me for pointing out the so-called expert you bought the coins from was a crook. Any "expert" knows the difference between gold and fake gold coins. It is simple. You were taken and now you want to sell coins you know are counterfeits to others. Best of luck. Have a great year!

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

? What are you talking about ? Do you understand what i wrote ? I didnt buy and coins from any expert - what you suggest. Its clear to me that you just want to write something but that is not what the topic is about. Try to read again. 

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

You are wrong and you posted wrong category (without its first part) i picked right category for coin replica so Please check it before you post it: 

category i put those coins were:

Coins & Paper Money > Paper Money: US > Replicas & Reproductions

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Perhaps its rude to waste someones time to comment and not to help. Writting post that doesnt bring anything to discussion. Thats rude as you describe it . 

Message 15 of 44
latest reply