cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping a high value item, but there's an error with the postcode.....

Oh what to do!

A buyer has placed an order for a high value item, but the postcode is incorrect. 

It may be an innocent mistake on the part of the buyer, but I'm meant to ship the item today and the postcode is for a different address entirely. I've been trying to contact the buyer via ebay messages for four days, with no response. 

The buyer has 100% positive feedback but only a handful of feedback. The shipping address also appears to be to a B&B / guesthouse. I know not to make any changes to the delivery address, but I'm worried if I ship to the address they have provided, the high value item may get lost in the post and I don't have enough faith in postal insurance that I would be covered. 

Ebay is telling me to ship the item to the incorrect address, but this feels risky to me.... I'd rather cancel the order and ask the buyer to re-order with the correct address.

Will I get penalised if I do this?  

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Shipping a high value item, but there's an error with the postcode.....

@silverthorne wrote:

That was what I had planned to do, but I'm confused why ebay CS told me to ship the item. It just doesn't feel right shipping something high value, to a address I know to be incorrect from the outset. In theory it should be returned to sender in such an instance, but the longer and item stays in the mail system, or the more complex it's journey, the more chance of getting lost. 

Please don't tell me that it was you who deduced the post code was incorrect...

Does ebay allow you to purchase and print the label without error?

If so just purchase and print it, stick it and send it out.

If ebay tells you there is an error then you should be able to cancel for that reason.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Again, somewhere here I got the impression that the OP (seller), who is located in the UK, is questioning the shipping address for a buyer, who's also in the UK.  Why would he need to use the EIS or GSP or any similar method?

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Again, somewhere here I got the impression that the OP (seller), who is located in the UK, is questioning the shipping address for a buyer, who's also in the UK.  Why would he need to use the EIS or GSP or any similar method?     

Like a lot of postings on this forum the OP never provided some of the critical details so about all you can do is guess and try to cover as many scenario's as possible. OP returned once but has been silent since so I am guessing they did whatever they felt was appropriate. 

Message 18 of 18
latest reply