cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settle an argument for me

I bought a Microsoft Surface Book. The pictures of it show that is in good condition, and shows the unit POWERED on.

However, once I receive the unit, not only is the battery completely dead, but I come to realize that no ac adpater is included with it.

I contacted the seller and they said "the listings states no accessories". I did go back and see there was one small line in the mid section of the listing that says "Accessornies: none". 

I guess it is my fault for assuming that the charger would come with it, but is that really an "acessory"? I don't think it's an acessory at all, in fact, I would say it is a NECESSITY since you cannot use the thing after the battery dies...

To me it would be like a used car dealership selling you a car with an empty gas tank and telling you gasoline is an "accessory" and absolutely none is included...

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Do they come with the AC adapter when you buy them new from a store?  If so, then yes, the adapter should absolutely have been included.

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

It is just another typical Ebay seller scam. Instead of specifically stating in the listing right up front that no ac cord is included, they seller hides it in the listing by stating no accessories. It is a way to get a quick sale and get more bucks from the item. Unfortunately there is not much you can do but buy an ac cord or return the item.

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Do they come with the AC adapter when you buy them new from a store?  If so, then yes, the adapter should absolutely have been included.

Yep that's how I felt about it too...

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

It is just another typical Ebay seller scam. Instead of specifically stating in the listing right up front that no ac cord is included, they seller hides it in the listing by stating no accessories. It is a way to get a quick sale and get more bucks from the item. Unfortunately there is not much you can do but buy an ac cord or return the item.

Yep I suppose so...

I made two points to the seller:

1) How could it be shown powered on in the picture with no charging cord included and 2) if it was shown as powered on in the pictures how could it arrive completely dead?

To point one they said they have "all kinds" of charging cables at their facility where they test these things but that some of them are "damaged" or not even included when they receive them so they don't include any with the device. For remark two they said "we don't have any way of knowing how long the item was sitting around before we listed it". 

The whole thing just ticked me off. Now I'm waiting like a week to buy an adapter seperately just to make sure the thing works the way it's supposed to.

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

I might well cause an argument, instead of settle one...

I'll go so far as to agree that if the cord is not included, the seller should absolutely say so explicitly.  I agree, that's not an "accessory" in my mind.  Also, battery not charged isn't a problem - yet.  But if it won't hold a charge, that's a problem.

OTOH, given it didn't mention the cord...  Was there a cord in the pictures, or is this an eBay Catalog / stock photo thing?  If there is no cord in the photos, and given the "accessory" comment, I'd feel at least somewhat responsible for failing to ask.  Was there a Product Catalog linkage?  If that said the charger is included, then that's different. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 6 of 51
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

I'll go so far as to agree that if the cord is not included, the seller should absolutely say so explicitly.  I agree, that's not an "accessory" in my mind.  Also, battery not charged isn't a problem - yet.  But if it won't hold a charge, that's a problem.

OTOH, given it didn't mention the cord...  Was there a cord in the pictures, or is this an eBay Catalog / stock photo thing?  If there is no cord in the photos, and given the "accessory" comment, I'd feel at least somewhat responsible for failing to ask.  Was there a Product Catalog linkage?  If that said the charger is included, then that's different. 

I do take some responsibility for not being sure it was included, I just wanted to know if my overlooking it was expressly my fault or if they left it open to some intepretation by the way it was listed.

It did not show the power cord in the picture, but it showed the unit powered on, and nowhere in the listing did it say it didn't come with a power cord other than the one line "Accessories: None" that they had to make me go back and hunt for in the listing after I contacted them.

I still maintain however that a power cord is a necessity, not an acessory, see the definition of each word below as per Google, and I don't think of all the electronics I've ever bought or sold that I have ever once seen a power cord that was REQUIRED to use and charge the battery of an item have it not be included with the item.    

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

I think their listing is inadequate.  I don't know if that's intentional and scammy, or if it's merely typical and unfortunate. 

I think they're exposing themselves to potential SNAD issues if they list it as "working", because it isn't serviceable without a charger. 

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

I think their listing is inadequate.  I don't know if that's intentional and scammy, or if it's merely typical and unfortunate. 

I think they're exposing themselves to potential SNAD issues if they list it as "working", because it isn't serviceable without a charger. 

I think so too...

They are one of these "big" companies that sells thousands of items and many of the same item so it's weird to me they would have such a business model. After digging deeper into their feedback (which is 99%+ over all), it seems their biggest problem has been selling people locked cellphones...

Something weird about this place for sure....

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

They seem more than willing to accept a free return, no problem, but I don't understand that either from their perspective. If they are being honest about what it cost them to ship the item, they are losing $50+ on the shipping both ways...

I guess it's within their budget to offer free returns based on the volume they do. Doesn't make them a good company though in my opinion.

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

That's what "big" does.  Put it on auto-pilot, don't deviate.  That's what's behind eBay's automated everything, like Automated Returns - accomodating sellers who want to operate that way. 

They're doing it the way eBay wants - no lengthy unique descriptions, no buyer-seller communication.  Just list it, someone buys it based on Title and picture, you don't like it for any reason send it back for free. 

I don't think that's a good seller either, it's what I keep trying to tell eBay.  I don't want free returns as a buyer, I want less reasons stuff has to be returned. 

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

I do take some responsibility for not being sure it was included, I just wanted to know if my overlooking it was expressly my fault or if they left it open to some intepretation by the way it was listed.

It did not show the power cord in the picture, but it showed the unit powered on, and nowhere in the listing did it say it didn't come with a power cord other than the one line "Accessories: None" that they had to make me go back and hunt for in the listing after I contacted them.

I still maintain however that a power cord is a necessity, not an acessory, see the definition of each word below as per Google, and I don't think of all the electronics I've ever bought or sold that I have ever once seen a power cord that was REQUIRED to use and charge the battery of an item have it not be included with the item.    

I agree with you. A power cord is definitely a necessity & not an accessory. It's common sense. How else are you supposed to power on an electronic device? That seller you bought from is at fault for not mentioning a power cord was included. 

Don't feel too bad about overlooking it. We've all made mistakes before. If you're not sure, just ask the seller questions first before buying anything. 

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@lex-talon wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

I agree with you. A power cord is definitely a necessity & not an accessory. It's common sense. How else are you supposed to power on an electronic device? That seller you bought from is at fault for not mentioning a power cord was included. 

Don't feel too bad about overlooking it. We've all made mistakes before. If you're not sure, just ask the seller questions first before buying anything. 

That's why I made this thread because I wanted to determine whether or not I was crazy for overlooking such a thing. The problem is, it didn't even enter my mind that it may not be included. To me, it was a foregone conclusion that a power cord would be something that is included unless made painfully obvious that it's not. Again, I should have been sure and contacted the seller so I am not absoving myself 100% of responsibility.

I know that if I was completely in the wrong and my thinking was faulty people here would definitely not be afraid to tell me so. It does give me a bit of peace of mind and I feel a bit relieved just knowing that I am not being completely unreasonable here.

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

That's what "big" does.  Put it on auto-pilot, don't deviate.  That's what's behind eBay's automated everything, like Automated Returns - accomodating sellers who want to operate that way. 

They're doing it the way eBay wants - no lengthy unique descriptions, no buyer-seller communication.  Just list it, someone buys it based on Title and picture, you don't like it for any reason send it back for free. 

I don't think that's a good seller either, it's what I keep trying to tell eBay.  I don't want free returns as a buyer, I want less reasons stuff has to be returned. 

You hit the nail right on the head there!

I don't think buyers want free returns either. I mean, who really wants to return something? If you buy an item, it's because you felt you needed and/or wanted the item, not just because you simply wanted to waste your time and the time and shipping money of the seller! It's really only benefical to those who would be looking to take advantage of it. To the average Joe, it's a pain in the rear.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

I guess I am in the camp of assume nothing if it's not in the pictures don't assume it's included, I've shown items powered on before without selling it with the power cord because sometimes I can make more money selling them individually but I always mention that the cord or charger or whatever is not included.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply