cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Metrics item not as describe is very high

Received a report that item not as described is very high today.

Downloaded the report, total 15 return as item not as described.

Checked each one and found out there're 8 returns buyer abused this return reason - cases was opened and closed on my favor, however this defect mark is not able to remove from the metric report.

Contacted ebay immedately, they said sorry, even if the case is close on your favor which is because buyer abusing the return reason, we are not able to take if off from metric report.

The consequence would be - seller need to pay 4% more FVF for something which we didn't do anything wrong, simply because ebay can't find out a solution to remove those abusing defects out from report? Excuse me, are we living in 2021 or 0122?

For such mega company can't find a solution keep a fair deal in this market, more than that - the cost of this bugs are all in ebay's pocket... i wonder if it's because ebay really live in 0122 or they are just so smart to play dumb and do this on purpose?

Any idea?

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Service Metrics item not as describe is very high

@gorgeous4u wrote:

Still you don't get me. I don't care the rate, but here i'm discussing the ebay behavior to charge 5% extra FVF for the issue not on sellers.

Hope you get the point. (my point) here.

@gorgeous4u I understand your point. You feel the policy charging you the additional 5% is applied to you unfairly. I agree with you—sellers should not be penalized for bogus cases. But in making your point, I fear you miss my point, and other’s here.

If you do not care about your selling privileges, then by all means ignore the advice given here. Ignore the peril. But be aware of the fact that eBay can shut you down for poor seller performance metrics and will allow no appeal. I am afraid that is where you are heading.

Do you value your ability to sell on this platform? Are you interested in getting the additional 5% penalty fee  lifted?

Message 46 of 54
latest reply

no this is something no need to worry. Poor performance is based on how much cases you lost and how many late delivery you have. I have zero. Performance is top rate all the time.

Message 47 of 54
latest reply

2 more new item doesn't match description return shared with people here:

1, new buyer with zero purchase, returned with doesn't match description reason. Contacted her, she replied sorry about this, item has no issue just doesn't fit, she has no idea how to do the return then choose a reason by random.

2, ebay guest buyer, opened item doesn't match description return. Contacted her, she said size doesn't work, item is good, pity she is too big for it, but she doesn't know how to open the return, so called ebay and ebay rep opened this return for her.

Conclusion: ebay never let you to appeal those defects on metric, once buyer choose it, you are fxxcked. And after a while, ebay would be happily sit there to collect 5% extra FVF.

Honestly, this company makes me feel sick.

Message 48 of 54
latest reply

Things that I have found that work to combat this issue;

I started putting a note inside the package attached to the item, thanking them for the business and if there are any problems to contact me first.

On the packing slip I added a note thanking them for the business and if there are any problems to contact me first. I highlight the word first.

I use feedback as a form of communicating the same thing, Please contact us first if there are any problems, Thank You!!

So far the result is that most people contact me first with a return and then I walk them through the return process, or just refund the money without going through the return process. It has cut down on my service metric rate dramatically. 

Message 49 of 54
latest reply

Yes that's a very passive way to lower this metric, and my point is ebay does this on purpose.

They need to change the system. But of course they won't, that's how they get 50% more on sellers secretly.

Message 50 of 54
latest reply

@gorgeous4u wrote:

They need to change the system. But of course they won't, that's how they get 50% more on sellers secretly.

Why Secretly?

It is very openly, the system is set to hurt your "metrics" when a buyer decides to abuse the reason for returning an item,  you are getting unjustified financial punishment which brings more income to the venue.

it is working as intended.

Message 51 of 54
latest reply

I partially disagree. I think that it is designed to make me a better seller. Yes, like you I had people who were just wrong about the return. However, there were several that were my fault as well. I did send the wrong item, I did send something that was not as described. So along with the notes to contact me first, I doubled up to make sure that I am sending what is described in   my add. So along with asking the buyer to contact me first and making sure I am sending exactly what they think they are getting, I have not had a not as described item in several months and the last one I got, I sent the wrong item. 

I do however agree with you that if you dispute it and win, it should be taken off. 

Message 52 of 54
latest reply

We don't have problem to be recorded on metric if it's my fault - sent wrong item or item is broken, doesn't match, never received...

But it's wrong that even if it's not our fault, like the cases above and even if ebay closed the case in our favor, those defect metric won't be removed.

This won't help me improve myself to be a better seller at all. Really, not at all.

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

lol, yes, exactly. However ebay does it behind the front "metric report", this kind of return metric report is not easy to dig out for new sellers. It also took me a while to figure it out.

Message 54 of 54
latest reply