cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling quality item as new account

Need to bring to the attention of whoever cares, about those private "1st Time" sellers who are trying to establish  repore for future relationship with your services provided.

I recently sold a fine diamond ring through EBAY  after reposting the same item twice. your policy stinks for first- time sellers. Yes, we all need organization but what about us private serious sellers that are put on the back burner for amount sold, item delivered, and non payment to sellers for 21 days!!! You know your company holds that money and draws interest and liquid funds until payment is disbursed to seller. The seller has the product for your company to advertise and draw customers yet we have to wait for payment; especially this time of the year!?

So you have been in the business a long time BECAUSE of Sellers!  Sure you have buyers also, however the core of your business is the SELLER. AS soon as I receive my $ I will cancel my account and share with all I know and come in contact with to sell their wares elswhere. Your business is good for small item businesses and those that need to not pay for their own marketing. You cannot compare with the worst social media company FB.

-JUST VENTING-

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

All new sellers have their funds held.  It is for the safety of the buyer.  In the past we had scammers who would sell items they did not have, take the money and disappear.

Did you use tracking.  If so, 4 days after it shows delivered and there were no problems, you can request that funds be released to you.

Been here a long time and have seen alot.

100% agree with ebay on this.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

So sorry you were not aware of the new seller holds before you started listing.

You can get your money three days after tracking shows delivery.

Wishing you good luck as you start your selling elsewhere.  You may want to familiarize yourself with the rules and policies of the site first as you will probably run into the same thing wherever you go.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@newnuisance wrote:

So you have been in the business a long time BECAUSE of Sellers!  Sure you have buyers also, however the core of your business is the SELLER.

No, ebay's core consists of the buyer.

Perhaps it is the sellers who pay the fees, but it is with the buyers money.

Without buyers there would be no money for sellers to pay said fees with.

This can be a tough cookie to swallow, but that is how it is.

Buyers must come first, and with ebay they do.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I see your point but feel eBay is missing the boat on this.  Any market place that has sellers exists, regardless of whether there are buyers to complete sales.  If there are no sellers and no products for sale, then by default there are no sales, no revenue and no eBay.  eBay could have 7 billion registered users who are buyers, but without a selling 'core' there would be nothing for these potential customers to buy.   In an ideal world, eBay would value equally the presence of sellers and buyers and implement strategies to improve the experiences of both parties.   However, this approach is in stark contrast to eBay's 'the customer is always right' policies.     Some sellers who have been in business on eBay for a long time will be folding up their tents and leaving because of this.  This isn't great for buyers at all.    Basic supply and demand.   Less availability to certain items can lead to increased prices.  Some sellers will list using alternate less costly and/or more efficient means.    Buyers will follow.  A review of eBay's unsuccessful foray into the Japanese market will make the above argument perfectly clear.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hi, sorry to see you are upset.

Your post is unlikely to be seen by the Powers That Be here. This is a forum primarily for other buyers and sellers like yourself.

Below is a link to more information about funds being held, something most new sellers must contend with.

EBay has a wide learning curve of important rules and policies governing the platform, that all sellers are subject to. Like with most anything worth doing, there is study involved. Wish you much smoother sailing in the future.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-is-my-payment-from-a-sale-on-ebay-on-hold-faq1377

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@siamdao wrote:

I see your point but feel eBay is missing the boat on this.  Any market place that has sellers exists, regardless of whether there are buyers to complete sales.  If there are no sellers and no products for sale, then by default there are no sales, no revenue and no eBay.  eBay could have 7 billion registered users who are buyers, but without a selling 'core' there would be nothing for these potential customers to buy.   In an ideal world, eBay would value equally the presence of sellers and buyers and implement strategies to improve the experiences of both parties.   However, this approach is in stark contrast to eBay's 'the customer is always right' policies.     Some sellers who have been in business on eBay for a long time will be folding up their tents and leaving because of this.  This isn't great for buyers at all.    Basic supply and demand.   Less availability to certain items can lead to increased prices.  Some sellers will list using alternate less costly and/or more efficient means.    Buyers will follow.  A review of eBay's unsuccessful foray into the Japanese market will make the above argument perfectly clear.

Hi again. I’m sorry to contradict your post, but i disagree with your assertions. You wrote:

” Any market place that has sellers exists, regardless of whether  there are buyers to complete sales.”

I believe the opposite to be true: a market place without buyers would cease to exist. It only survives because of buyers. Granted, both buyers and sellers are needed for a market to flourish, but all the funds come from buyers, not sellers. Sellers pay because the buyers provide the revenue, not the other way around.

In addition, sellers are not folding up their tents and going home because of the ‘temporary new seller holds’ policy. This practice has been in place a long time, and sellers who do their due diligence prior to listing, are not surprised by it. They have familiarized themselves with the rules before puting an item up for sale.

I can think of one main reason why Sellers would leave—no buyers purchasing their stuff. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@emerald40

I disagree.

Most of the restrictions on new sellers are just as much for Seller Protection as they are for Buyer Protection.

But eBay is not good at explaining the restrictions to new sellers.

The Hold on funds is a Buyer Protection, obviously, and also encourages sellers to ship promptly.

But eBay should be tougher about restricting the number and value of listings by new sellers.

It is telling that this new seller, who apparently did not read anything about how selling and payment is handled on eBay, and had never bought anything on the site,  chose a diamond ring as her first listing.

Oh yeah, this is gonna go great.-- Zoe Alleyne Washburne.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

But eBay should be tougher about restricting the number and value of listings by new sellers.

Not every seller who comes here with a 0 account is new.  They may have had their own B&M store or sold on one of the other venues.

That would be like restricting me as a new seller at a flea market when I might have sold for years at another one.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It is telling that this new seller, who apparently did not read anything about how selling and payment is handled on eBay, and had never bought anything on the site,  chose a diamond ring as her first listing.

But why should someone who has been in the jewelry business for years, and sold on other venues, and did their due dilligence and read and learned ebay, be penalized because of those who jump in feet first.

Being new to ebay does not mean a seller is green or unprepared to handle herself.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply