cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling collectable 35mm slides

Notice to new and old sellers:  slides very very very rarely sell for more than 5 or 6 cents each - so starting them out at 10 or 25 cents each is a waste of space and your time.  Mom's old slide carousel of travel slides will not sell for $100.00 even with free shipping. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I see more than a few sales........above a few cents..........when the slide has "collectible" value toward a certain thing and that is mentioned in the title..........  i.e. vtg cars, airplanes with name, year, specific railroads, locations, ship etc.

Before writing off whatever, I'd do some research and get some education about what sells and how they are sold.......

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@unknown1* wrote:

Notice to new and old sellers:  slides very very very rarely sell for more than 5 or 6 cents each - so starting them out at 10 or 25 cents each is a waste of space and your time.  Mom's old slide carousel of travel slides will not sell for $100.00 even with free shipping. 

If slides are selling for 5 or 6 cents each, they may be old and unique but they don't sound terribly "collectible". 

I have sold a couple big collections of slides of rock bands, and generally get $10 to $50 per slide. I once bought a lot of 500 concert slides and made my money back selling the first four slides. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Slides are no different from any other category of collectibles, with only a very small percentage of any value.  Most of mom's old slide carousel of travel slides will not sell for $10.00 even with free shipping.  I recently bought a small collection, a few hundred, and tossed out most with just a quick glance without even putting them in a viewer.  But I did make a small profit on the few I did put up for sale.  The issue with slides in a large collection is simply the time it takes to view and sort them one at a time.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I was trying to comment on how high people start out their collections - especially those who list just 4 or 5 slides and want an outrageous amount for them - $19.99 is too much for just 6 slides of your neighbors outdoor grill, then tack on $4 or $5 for shipping!! Hardly worth the cost of starting the auction when the slides for sale are worth less than the 35¢ for insertion.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@unknown1* wrote:

Some I'd be overjoyed to buy for ten cents.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@unknown1* wrote:

Yet you sell them for a minimum bid of $.99 and up.

Looking at what you have sold gives me ideas as I have hundreds, maybe thousands of slides from the 1940's-50's (left from relatives. Time to pull them out!

-------------
Posting ID
Message 7 of 7
latest reply