cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a Cemetery Plot on eBay ....

As opposed to putting an ad in the local newspaper, I did a search for "cemetery plots" and saw quite a few but I'm trying to learn which way is the best to sell one on eBay.

I just read a post where someone said: "I assume cemetery lots are a kind of 'real estate' ... and all real estate is listed in eBay's Classified Section."

Cemetery plots/lots are not actually real estate otherwise a Realtor would be able to accept a request to sell one and to my knowledge, they won't do this.  

My search on eBay came up with plots being listed under:  Everything Else > Funeral & Cemetery > Cemetery Plots. 

Looking at some listings I see they have a price and then:  Best Offer + Free Shipping.

Free Shipping??  

Others say Best Offer + $3.50 Shipping.

$3.50 Shipping??

Another was Auction Style + Free Local Pickup.

Free Local Pickup? 

I saw one with a set price BIN with $11.75 Expedited Shipping.  

Expedited Shipping? 

Some listings have 1 photo with  just pretty flowers and others have a photo of the actual cemetery itself.  

Any suggestions or info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

@coolections wrote:

Maybe it is just me but I find it kinda cheap buying or selling a cemetery plot on Ebay. I can see telling friends how I got a great deal on Ebay for  grandmas cemetery plot.

I never imagined that anyone would even shop on ebay for a plot....

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@scratch*post wrote:

Shipping would be for the plot certificate / assignment of ownership, I would guess.

That would be my guess as well otherwise it's just silly . Tulips

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

I never imagined that anyone would even shop on ebay for a plot.... smileytown 

It's a new day and a new era  I guess . The people I've seen trying to text and drive at the same time  should probably take the time to utilize this option as well ,,  while they're at it and while they still can .  Tulips 

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@smileytown18 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

Maybe it is just me but I find it kinda cheap buying or selling a cemetery plot on Ebay. I can see telling friends how I got a great deal on Ebay for  grandmas cemetery plot.

Me, too.  But you know, they do say they have everything...or almost everything.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Why would you advertise in a newspaper?

Why would I?   I would advertise in the newspaper to sell the plot.  How else, other than to list it on eBay or CL, would I sell it?  

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

reminds me of a funeral site / cemetary that put out a sign (for a very short time)  "Second Burial Free, Call us to find out how."

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 22 of 39
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:
The first thing you should do it check with the cemetery in question to be absolutely certain that you can sell the plot. Different states have different laws governing these things, and some cemeteries have different policies. In most states if there are multiple "beds" within a plot and one of them is used you can NOT sell the other, unused beds.

My family has been in the cemetery business for over a century and I personally still own 6 "beds" in plots that can not be sold due to various laws/covenants. I HAVE donated empty beds in unfilled family plots for the use of the indigent as opposed to letting them go to "Potter's Field'.

Ran out of edit time on my initial reply.  

I have already been in touch with the cemetery and they have no problem with me selling the plot.  

I noticed at least 1 listing on eBay where someone mentioned "double beds".  I never heard of that but it stands to reason that a couple would want to be buried in one plot together.  

Very kind of you to donate plots to the indigent.  

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

How about a great deal on eBay for grandma's dentures?  lol

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@smileytown18 wrote:

@coolections wrote:

The first place I go when I think of buying anything is eBay.   

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@mansons2005 wrote:
The first thing you should do it check with the cemetery in question to be absolutely certain that you can sell the plot. Different states have different laws governing these things, and some cemeteries have different policies. In most states if there are multiple "beds" within a plot and one of them is used you can NOT sell the other, unused beds.

My family has been in the cemetery business for over a century and I personally still own 6 "beds" in plots that can not be sold due to various laws/covenants. I HAVE donated empty beds in unfilled family plots for the use of the indigent as opposed to letting them go to "Potter's Field'.

I have already been in touch with the cemetery and they have no problem with me selling the plot.  

I noticed at least 1 listing on eBay where someone mentioned "double beds".  I never heard of that but it stands to reason that a couple would want to be buried in one plot together.  

Just a thought~maybe there is a chance they will buy it back?

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@coolections wrote:

How about a great deal on eBay for grandma's dentures?  lol

Only slightly used?  (Grandma didn't like them!)

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@mansons2005 wrote:

Just a thought~maybe there is a chance they will buy it back?

I asked.  They said no.  sob

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

Smiley Sad   Smiley Frustrated   heart

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:

Interesting topic. My my brothers, cousins and I inherited 4 plots and there are 5 of us, and not one of us live in the state the plots are in. I'd love to donate them to someone, but the boys are greedy.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply