cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers... out time and money

Anyone else having an issue with people "buying" an item, not paying, and no communication?  I've had two in the past week. 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Sellers... out time and money

@luckythewinner wrote:

@adkhighker wrote:
Has eBay finally figured out how to give sellers doing auctions an option for immediate pay required, even for auctions that don't include a BIN option with them? 

I have no idea. I was simply explaining to the OP how I structured my listings to avoid non-payment issues.

Okay thanks. I've been trying to find out if eBay is getting closer to implementing IPR as an option for auction sellers, but I haven't had any luck coming up with anything concrete about it lately.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

@chariot_badges 

"If a 'buyer' gets 'banned' from X numbers of seller accounts, they will be universally banned."

We do.

We can opt to have an automatic Block on bidders with Strikes that have been given for non-payment by other sellers.

With the millions of sellers, in all our diverse glory, around the world, your suggestion probably would not work.

There are a lot of oddball reasons a seller might Block an otherwise okay buyer. I have a prejudice against IDs with swearing in other languages for example and tend to block those.

I agree that sharing real problems, like proven deadbeats, is a good idea.

@frecklesfinery88 

When you cancelled after 96 hours, you put the deadbeat on millions of Blocked Bidder Lists.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

When you cancelled after 96 hours, you put the deadbeat on millions of Blocked Bidder Lists.

That is only slightly effective and only effective for sellers who know how to set their buyer requirements to stop buyers who have had 2 unpaid instances in the last 12 months. Depending on when a deadbeat got their first unpaid strike, they could be back buying from you in a month as soon as one of their strikes wears off.

eBay doesn't do nearly enough to go after deadbeat buyers. If they did, they would be a hundred times stricter with them than they are. There are deadbeat buyers who have had way more than 2 unpaid buying instances who run around continuously tormenting sellers by not paying. A seller can be banned just for re-listing a prohibited item even when the seller didn't realize why it was removed and tried to sell it again, while a buyer rarely if ever gets permanently banned for doing the much more serious damage that they do to sellers.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

@rivercampingfungirl wrote:

Anyone else having an issue with people "buying" an item, not paying, and no communication?  I've had two in the past week. 

I've never had that problem.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 34 of 36
latest reply

List as  Fixed Price/ Immediate Payment Required.

The "purchased" listing will stay visible until it is paid, and the first one to pay gets the item.

This also makes your ulcer easier, because the "purchase" doesn't show until it is actually paid.

As with everything there are tradeoffs. I use the auction format almost exclusively but do so for time management reasons. I start all my auctions on Thursday, run them for 10 days and they end on Sunday. I don't use OBO so I am pretty much fee for those 10 days to do other things like spend time with the family, fish, hunt, go camping/hiking, etc. I don't have to worry about something selling on a daily basis, having to pack it up and take it to the post office. I may loose a few sales to BIN sellers but I am fine with that. 

I get an occasional non-payer but I shrug it off, relist the item and move on. But I am not a major seller and don't do this to earn a living so I probably have a bit more flexibility than others may have. One thing for sure with a BIN item you are never going to get more than your asking price unless it is some type of scam attempt. 

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

As with everything there are tradeoffs. I use the auction format almost exclusively but do so for time management reasons. I start all my auctions on Thursday, run them for 10 days and they end on Sunday. I don't use OBO so I am pretty much fee for those 10 days to do other things like spend time with the family, fish, hunt, go camping/hiking, etc. I don't have to worry about something selling on a daily basis, having to pack it up and take it to the post office. I may loose a few sales to BIN sellers but I am fine with that. 

I get an occasional non-payer but I shrug it off, relist the item and move on. But I am not a major seller and don't do this to earn a living so I probably have a bit more flexibility than others may have. One thing for sure with a BIN item you are never going to get more than your asking price unless it is some type of scam attempt. 

Well said. I do auctions for many of the same reasons you do.  Having a set range of days of 7 or 10 days where I'm not anchored to our house having to take care of shipping or anything else eBay related can free us up to be able to go out of town for an extended period of time or to do the things you mentioned like a long hike, fishing,  family activities, or whatever without having to run home or to a post office to ship something that just sold. Plus, by doing auctions, I often end up getting significantly more than I was hoping for, as opposed to if I had put a fixed price on something, as you previously mentioned.  And whenever I do auctions, I do them with low starting prices so I'm all but guaranteed that the item will be sold and gone, unlike BIN listings where you can sit for long periods of time with no action. As far as selling goes, there's nothing more fun for me than doing a 99 cent starting price eBay auction for a hard to find item where I have a good idea of the minimum it will sell for and then have it go for a much higher amount than that in the closing moments.

Message 36 of 36
latest reply