cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers May Be Losing Sales Because Taxes Being Charged & High USPS Shipping Rates

Under another id, I used to sell for a long time on eBay and was once a power seller with glowing 100% feedback and thousands of transactions. I left to sell on a different venue that is more seller friendly as eBay made a lot of draconian rules and unpleasant changes that I didn't like. Now I am strictly a buyer here. Most of the things I buy here are antiques and old collectibles.

The USPS high shipping rates on anything going in a box 12"x12"x12" is really getting ridiculous! When I buy something for $10 it turns into $20-$23 as my lousy state (NY) also charges taxes on the item plus the shipping costs too. So now a $10 item that once shipped for $4-$5 is now costing me $10-$12 in shipping costs, plus I am paying double the taxes. 

Because of this and since I am on a budget, I am not buying half as many things as I once did. For example, tonight I wanted to buy something that was $100 and shipping was $13. It would go in a 12X12X12" box. I have $120 to spend, but with close to $11.30 in taxes and shipping that cost almost twice as much as normal, I had to take it out of my cart. I am not blaming sellers in any way as this is not their fault. It is happening to me as a seller on the other site I list on.

I sell items that are considered high end, $100+ items that go in boxes larger than 12x12x12". I've been getting loads of messages from potential buyers asking me to remove the tax and to offer them free shipping and I will get a sale. I also notice shipping costs are becoming astronomical.  It is now costing some of my buyers $30-$60 to have my items that really aren't that big and heavy shipped to them (even Parcel Select), when it used to cost them no more than $10.95-$15 for shipping. On top of that, being charges taxes is the death knoll to my business.

I tried opening accounts with FedEx and UPS and the prices are not much lower and some of their shipping services are very slow and undependable as I have had issues with getting my own items shipped to me in a timely manner myself. In the past Fedex has lost 3 of my packages, damaged some of them and UPS damaged items that were fragile also so I don't really want to use them as my shipping company.

I cannot afford to offer my customers free shipping and remove the taxes so my business has taken a nosedive. I can't pad my selling price and add free shipping into that either because a buyer in Connecticut's package would cost me $12 to ship but would cost me $48 to ship to California. If I do that, if I get a buyer from California it can really cut into my profit margin. I used to sell about $1200-$2,000 worth of antiques a month. Now I am lucky to get $100-$200 in sales per month now. I am no longer buying items for resale that go in 12x12x12" boxes and am only looking for smalls to resell now.

I have been selling on the internet since 1998 and have never seen it so bad. Most buyers are very fickle now because sites like Amazon offer free shipping and nobody wants to pay $40 to have an vintage/antique $30 lamp shade shipped to them when they can get a new one one Amazon with free shipping for $19.99.

Has any other sellers noticed this problem is hurting their business too? I know a lot of you are going to tell me adapt or die, but sometimes it feels good to vent and let off some steam.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Sellers May Be Losing Sales Because Taxes Being Charged & High USPS Shipping Rates

Grrrr! It happened to me again tonight. I went to hit buy it now for an item I wanted and had a set budget of $40 for. The taxes put me over the top and I had to hit the back button and bail out of the transaction. I had a gift card with exactly $40 left on it. The amount I was over because of the lousy taxes was .41 cents 😖. A seller lost a sale because of .41 cents. My God, I hate the money grubbing government! lol.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Re: Sellers May Be Losing Sales Because Taxes Being Charged & High USPS Shipping Rates

@futurespast1113 wrote:

I did really well for 20 years selling my items and now the time has come for me to only sell small items because shipping costs are just way too costly.

Or to put it another way, you need to adapt or die. 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Or to put it another way, you need to adapt or die. 

Yup. Can't adapt so I guess I'll have to die. Where's the dead body emoji when you need it? 😁😂

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Sellers should adjust for price increases...so should buyers.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I totally agree with you on everything! I sold a Barbie style car over a year ago, which was big to send, and paid like $8.50 shipping! That’s all! I just sold two item, USPS priority mail, and profit less than half what I sold them for! Mailing rates and fees make me reconsider selling all the rest of what I have here. It’s sad! Some I may save to give to non-profits to give as holiday gifts! 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply