cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers: How Do You Handle Replacements When Filling Your Schedule C?

I had a buyer with one bad item in a pair, and I have to send a replacement. 
It's only one part of a pair, one pair per bid, so I am just shipping the new item. 
How do you handle this?  Can you deduct the cost of the replacement?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Inventory $ at Beginning of Year plus Inventory $ Spent throughout the year minus Inventory $ at end of year.

That is the 'Cost of Goods' or 'Cost of Material' line on Sch C. 

So, in essence, it IS deducted by having 'less' inventory $ than you would have had, had you not had to send that customer 'another' one. 

Example. I start with 100 thingies at $5 each- so $500 start. I buy $2000 more worth of 'thingies'. I do inventory on Jan 1 and have $800 worth of thingies. $500+$2000 is $2500. $2500 minus $800 means I 'sold' $1700. $1700 is the answer (and amount used for COG/COM on Sch C)

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Inventory $ at Beginning of Year plus Inventory $ Spent throughout the year minus Inventory $ at end of year.

That is the 'Cost of Goods' or 'Cost of Material' line on Sch C. 

So, in essence, it IS deducted by having 'less' inventory $ than you would have had, had you not had to send that customer 'another' one. 

Example. I start with 100 thingies at $5 each- so $500 start. I buy $2000 more worth of 'thingies'. I do inventory on Jan 1 and have $800 worth of thingies. $500+$2000 is $2500. $2500 minus $800 means I 'sold' $1700. $1700 is the answer (and amount used for COG/COM on Sch C)

Yeah, you really don't want to be figuring your taxes on a per item basis.  You do what stainless says, although some people fully depreciate the cost up front and just keep their inventory total at zero.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply