cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Beware of New "Handy Assembly Charge" Feature Ebay Has Added To All Furniture Listings

Ebay has added a new option on all used furniture listings which has done nothing but confuse and turn off my potential buyers. They added this box just below the Make An Offer button: Chair assembly from Handy - $72.00Handy will email you to schedule service. Handy Terms & Privacy Policy apply  We only sell used furniture and none of it needs assembly and I've already had several potential buyers ask why they have to pay for assembly (and these are only the ones who asked for an explanation and not the ones who just moved on to another seller's listing). This feature should be an option for a seller to add to their listing. Ebay has said this feature is here to stay even on my items that don't need assembly. Charish here we come. 

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Sellers Beware of New "Handy Assembly Charge" Feature Ebay Has Added To All Furniture Listings

I do not want to repeat this long winded post so I am quoting only the last part by

trinton@ebay

"ultimately this option encourages buyers to purchase items that they may otherwise pass on because of the assembly and installation requirements"

Now I understand. When faced with the monumental task of sticking a 1/8" stick in the ground, 24" tall, the buyer is now going to purchase my garden flag for $7.99 or $8.50 shipping included since they can pay these Handy people $99 to do that for them. Of course, there is no protection in doing so, as the Handy people have a disclaimer in CAPS for any damage or wrong doing on the part of the installers.

Hmmm, great, bring on the sales !!!!

Another problem is since there is a large offer to install a flag pole, aren't buyers going to think they are getting a flag pole?  I am only selling a flag, not the pole and flag. Looks like I will be getting SNADS for not including the pole, that, to any buyer, looks like is included.

Message 61 of 79
latest reply

trinton@ebay

Here are 2 of the dozen or so listings involed

CS took screen shots of these listings and will escalate & call me back within 48 hours. Even the CS rep laughed over the $99 charge for this.

Message 62 of 79
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand that some sellers are getting questions from potential buyers and are concerned that this service being included on their listings may lead to a loss in sales. I encourage everyone to share this link to buyers who have questions about Handy and consider that while we are happy to review any examples of this service being available on listings that wouldn't make sense, ultimately this option encourages buyers to purchase items that they may otherwise pass on because of the assembly or installment requirements that they may not feel qualified for. 

Perhaps, if the ad for Handy had a heading such as: "As an optional service" or "Available 3rd party Installation" or something/anything to differentiate it from the seller's item or what the seller is offering.

Something that even a buyer could understand.  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 63 of 79
latest reply

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

I do not want to repeat this long winded post so I am quoting only the last part by

trinton@ebay

"ultimately this option encourages buyers to purchase items that they may otherwise pass on because of the assembly and installation requirements"

Now I understand. When faced with the monumental task of sticking a 1/8" stick in the ground, 24" tall, the buyer is now going to purchase my garden flag for $7.99 or $8.50 shipping included since they can pay these Handy people $99 to do that for them. Of course, there is no protection in doing so, as the Handy people have a disclaimer in CAPS for any damage or wrong doing on the part of the installers.

Hmmm, great, bring on the sales !!!!

Another problem is since there is a large offer to install a flag pole, aren't buyers going to think they are getting a flag pole?  I am only selling a flag, not the pole and flag. Looks like I will be getting SNADS for not including the pole, that, to any buyer, looks like is included.

Oh don't forget ..when the installers damage it that the buyer will simply file a SNAD claim and you will have to pay for return shipping and the refund.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 64 of 79
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote: 
Oh don't forget ..when the installers damage it that the buyer will simply file a SNAD claim and you will have to pay for return shipping and the refund.

That does seem like the biggest risk to me: if things go sideways, Handy disclaims all responsibility.

It's difficult to see how such a problem would not reflect badly on the seller, despite the fact that they had nothing to do with offering the service, and may not have wanted it hung on their listing in the first place.

Message 65 of 79
latest reply

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

trinton@ebay

CS took screen shots of these listings and will escalate & call me back within 48 hours. Even the CS rep laughed over the $99 charge for this.

Hi @drinkwine1204! When clicking on the Flag Pole Installation option on listing 123555042973, it clearly states that the buyer must supply the flag pole. It's also important to note that Handy offers flag pole installation in brick, concrete, drywall, or wood (also advertised when clicking on the Flag Pole Installation link). That could be a compelling service for buyers that are seeking a way to install a flag pole in more difficult areas. With that said, I'm happy to pass along your concerns for review. Thanks!

Handy.JPG

Brian,
Community Team
Message 66 of 79
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@beardedbovine wrote:

• Things like this should be very clearly marked as an advertisement to eliminate buyer confusion, and make it clear it's not a service offered by the seller.

• The service is marked as being offered from Handy and the related links take members to Handy's Terms & Conditions. I'm open to passing along suggestions for how to better clarify this service if you have them - perhaps including the Handy logo?

@Anonymous

Possibly if the logo was very small and unobtrusive, but I think it would be better, easier and more clear if text was added instead.

This installation service is offered by eBay's partner Handy.

This optional installation service is a promotion offered by Handy.

This optional installation service is sponsored by ad partner Handy.

Something that makes it clear it's a 3rd party advertisement and not something the seller is offering. The goal is to avoid:

- SNADs

- Buyers being turned off when they think it's from the seller

- Buyers being confused about what's being offered in the listing as a result of language on the handy ad (see flag example, buyers confused about flag size... or the tabletop frame, buyer may think it has wall-hanging hooks on it when it doesn't)

Message 67 of 79
latest reply

Thanks for taking a look at my listing, Trinton. I looked at my listing and don't see it now either but, since it is my listing, I don't know if I would see it. I added a note telling buyers that no installation was required. Here is the item #: 132886750102

When I asked folks on a FB Board I am a member of if they could tell me why the wind chimes weren't selling this is what they responded. I eliminated their names. I will return to the conversation and ask someone to check and see if they still see the Handy logo, but thought it would take too long to respond if I wanted till someone got back to me.

Message 68 of 79
latest reply

I have not posted in the community before. When I replied, I added an image and didn't see it so wanted to see if it appeared and when I went looking for my reply, I could not find it. Perhaps someone needs to approve the messages? 

I will email Trinton -- for others on the board: I will give him the item #, wonder why it is no longer showing and have a clip of the discussion on my board (with names eliminated) and say that, if they want to make extra funds, I want them to do it AROUND my listing, not inside it, unless I approve it. How do we know we won't be sued if someone gets hurt during this installation? And, no matter what the Handy disclaimer and conditions say, we all know buyers don't read.

Judy

Message 69 of 79
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

trinton@ebay

Hi @drinkwine1204! When clicking on the Flag Pole Installation option on listing 123555042973, it clearly states that the buyer must supply the flag pole. It's also important to note that Handy offers flag pole installation in brick, concrete, drywall, or wood (also advertised when clicking on the Flag Pole Installation link). That could be a compelling service for buyers that are seeking a way to install a flag pole in more difficult areas. With that said, I'm happy to pass along your concerns for review. Thanks!

Handy.JPG

Those garden flags are so easy to put up a trained monkey could do it. Even the "flag pole" is easy to install. You just step on the lower metal part to push it down into the ground and then slip the flag over the top part.  I have a lot of these flags and I change them out with the seasons. I installed the "flag pole" myself and I'm an old lady. I can't image what a buyer would be thinking when they see this on a seller's listing. If you put those garden flags on a traditional flag pole you wouldn't even be able to tell what it was because it would be up so high in the air.

This is the same as the Square Trade thing. My daughter bought something on eBay and purchased the Square Trade with it ... it was a total scam!

Message 70 of 79
latest reply

I was looking at a listing for a folding table from another seller, and it was there.  I laughed at it, wondering who would pay for help in folding a table in half!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 71 of 79
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

I was looking at a listing for a folding table from another seller, and it was there.  I laughed at it, wondering who would pay for help in folding a table in half!

No, no, no, no.  It's help in 'UNFOLDING' the table that most people want.  'Sides, 'FOLDING', or getting it back into the box, is a different extra.  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 72 of 79
latest reply

I had the message for an outside service to professionally hang the Seashell Wind Chimes I have listed.  I don't see it now, but it was there the other day. It was something like $75.00.

I've reached that age where my brain goes from "you probably shouldn't say that." To "what the heck, let's see what happens. "
Message 73 of 79
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@birdloner wrote:

Thanks for taking a look at my listing, Trinton. I looked at my listing and don't see it now either but, since it is my listing, I don't know if I would see it. I added a note telling buyers that no installation was required. Here is the item #: 132886750102

When I asked folks on a FB Board I am a member of if they could tell me why the wind chimes weren't selling this is what they responded. I eliminated their names. I will return to the conversation and ask someone to check and see if they still see the Handy logo, but thought it would take too long to respond if I wanted till someone got back to me.

Hi @birdloner, when I look at your windchime listing I don't see this service so I think you are good to go from here. Definitely keep me posted if you have any other feedback or questions!

Message 74 of 79
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@beardedbovine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@beardedbovine wrote:

• Things like this should be very clearly marked as an advertisement to eliminate buyer confusion, and make it clear it's not a service offered by the seller.

• The service is marked as being offered from Handy and the related links take members to Handy's Terms & Conditions. I'm open to passing along suggestions for how to better clarify this service if you have them - perhaps including the Handy logo?

@Anonymous

Possibly if the logo was very small and unobtrusive, but I think it would be better, easier and more clear if text was added instead.

This installation service is offered by eBay's partner Handy.

This optional installation service is a promotion offered by Handy.

This optional installation service is sponsored by ad partner Handy.

Something that makes it clear it's a 3rd party advertisement and not something the seller is offering. The goal is to avoid:

- SNADs

- Buyers being turned off when they think it's from the seller

- Buyers being confused about what's being offered in the listing as a result of language on the handy ad (see flag example, buyers confused about flag size... or the tabletop frame, buyer may think it has wall-hanging hooks on it when it doesn't)

Hi @beardedbovine, great suggestions! We are passing along feedback to the appropriate team from this thread and appreciate you working with us by providing some constructive suggestions slight_smile

Message 75 of 79
latest reply