cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers BEWARE of "VACATION MODE"

So, after a couple of years of selling on Ebay, I just found out that the "Vacation Mode" setting does not update your handling time to reflect your return date. You must manually go in, select each listing, and update handling time to your planned vacation days. This has cost my account to get flagged, and lost top seller status for the month because of this little detail they forget to mention. 

The handling time for your entire store should be automatically updated with the vactaion setting every time. Period. 

So, thought I would inform everyone else before someone else makes the mistake.. Hope it helps. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Oh yes, very bad setting to use unless you do not adjust your handling time to the number of days you will be gone.  All that setting does is display a message for your buyer of when you will be back.  NOTHING ELSE.  False setting.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Just FYI, you do not need to adjust S&H time for each one individually; you can use the bulk editor to do them all at once. If you have access to your account while on vacation, you can even adjust it before you get home to maximize TRS+ eligibility.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

+1

IMO, the only way to use vacation mode is to choose to have listings hidden. Otherwise it's nothing but potential trouble.  Even an extended handling time counts on the buyer reading and understanding that there will be a delay in shipping before they purchase the item.  

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

You can bulk edit your handling time; doesn't take long.

I learned this lesson the hard way, as does everyone who doesn't have a shazaam moment by realizing ebay won't cover butt just because listings are in vacation mode.

How would ebay know how to set your handling time?  I have 2-day handling so that would be calculated differently than someone with same-day, 1-day, 10-day, etc.

Remember, these are people that can't program federal holidays correctly; I do not trust ebay to change my handling times for me.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

+1

IMO, the only way to use vacation mode is to choose to have listings hidden. Otherwise it's nothing but potential trouble.  Even an extended handling time counts on the buyer reading and understanding that there will be a delay in shipping before they purchase the item.  

Yes, but even with hidden listings always change the handling time.  It's one of the very few instances in which ebay will side with the seller.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

im confused.  I thought that putting your store on vacation mode it takes your listings off line so people can not buy during the time you are on vacation mode.  I use this often since i am a one man operation and when I leave town i just turn my store off.  Ive never had a sale while on vacation mode.  Is this discussion referring to Auction style listings perhaps?  I sell almost only GTC listings and I make sure any auction listings I have end well before I plan to leave town and go on vacation mode.

With Regards,
Essential Dive Gear
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@essential-dive-gear wrote:
 ....  I thought that putting your store on vacation mode it takes your listings off line so people can not buy during the time you are on vacation mode....

That's the "Hide" option.  The OP was referring to the basic vacation setting, which is really nothing more than an "Away" message.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

+1

Yes, but even with hidden listings always change the handling time.  It's one of the very few instances in which ebay will side with the seller.

Sherry, I think that's because someone could still purchase from their Watch List.  I'm not sure, though.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I have used vacation mode and leave my store goods online.  There is a flag banner at the top of the listing that clearly states the seller is away and your purchase will be delayed until the date you specify.

Despite having that banner there are plenty of people on ebay who don't pay attention.  In my 15 years of selling, you get about 5-10% of the the orders with people throwing a fit because of the delay.  Of my 10 or so negative in over 20,000 feedbacks.... they are almost all these people who don't pay attention.  The other thing I noticed is ebay punishes you on your "on time" shipping % ratio.  The money I pay a month for this program website leaves alot to be desired.  You could do the bulk listing change or just take all your goods offline until your return.  For myself, I just play the odds and if someone gives me negative I just respond to the feedback and any normal person would see that the issue was about your being on vacation.  

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

The problem is that there is no protection at all from negative feedback due to someone not reading the listing prior to purchase and being disappointed with having to wait. So, the seller is ok by the ebay shipping time metric, but wide open to get zinged with feedback based upon buyer opinion - which will be nearly impossible to remove. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I have had negative feedback removed because I had changed my handling time.  Buyer complained because the life-saving kidney wasn't there in 3 days; my listing clearly stated 8-10 days - ebay puts that in big orange font, btw - and I "won."

I just think it's easier/safer to change the handlng time; I don't see any reason not to change it.  You (universal you) aren't going to ship before you get back so why leave it at same day or one day or two day or whatever?  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

This might actually go along with a question I was going to ask. I noticed on the store page of one of the sellers I bought from that they had this "flag" with a notice beside it that they had the flu & shipping would be delayed.
So, if one were to become a seller, does eBay allow the "Vacation" setting to be used for medical reasons? Do you get a penalty of some sort if you "hide" your listings?
How does this work no for vacation but should you have a medical situation?
Thank you.
"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"
(I have PM disabled. Contact me via messages.)
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Sellers do not have to give any reason when they set up the vacation setting (either with or without the Hold option).   There are no penalties.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Thank you! After reading some of the stuff in these boards, I'm finding myself looking for those "hidden penalties" and "unspoken rules"! ROFL
Ok. Good deal. Thank you. 🙂
"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"
(I have PM disabled. Contact me via messages.)
Message 15 of 27
latest reply