cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller wants me to return expired product

I recently was sent an expired powdered green juice supplement, so I wrote a negative review and requested a return/refund from the seller.  The seller responded by attacking me and saying it's my fault for not reading the listing, and ebay allows the selling of expired goods, and I should remove my negative review, and bla bla bla.  I simply responded asking for a refund. The seller then approved my return and sent me a return label. 

My question is, do I have to send this item back?  Shouldn't the seller just refund my money since it's against ebay policy to sell such items? Pretty sure he will just relist it once it's returned, and I'd rather just throw it in the trash than going through the hassle of returning this garbage.

I already started a return and he accepted it, so eBay is not allowing me to ask for them to step in on this one yet. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes- must return for refund if that is what seller wants (seller does have to pay for return shipping- how much was the purchase? 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@jaselijane 

If you want a refund, you have to ship it back.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes- must return for refund if that is what seller wants (seller does have to pay for return shipping- how much was the purchase? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Around $25 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The seller is wrong. The food policy says they  have to have the expiration date in the listing and state how they will be delivered and ensure they will be delivered before the expiration date.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I sell food products.   If that happened to me, i would apologize, send you a full refund WITHOUT you having to send the item back.   What am i going to do with a expired product?  Relist it?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

That seller wants it returned so he can relist it.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"The seller responded by attacking me and saying it's my fault for not reading the listing,..."

The listing doesn't say expired anywhere. It only has a date and

Condition: New
The date could be the manufacturing date as far as anyone knows. The seller was wrong to attack you imo.

Some of the sellers other listings don't say expired either, just a date, and others say expired, followed by a date I guess that is what the seller does; buys then sells expired goods, but it's not always transparent.
-------------
Posting ID
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I sell food products.   If that happened to me, i would apologize, send you a full refund WITHOUT you having to send the item back.   What am i going to do with a expired product?  Relist it?

Ditto!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@nuvistors wrote:

That seller wants it returned so he can relist it.

Did the seller tell you that?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@jaselijane wrote:

I recently was sent an expired powdered green juice supplement, so I wrote a negative review and requested a return/refund from the seller.  The seller responded by attacking me and saying it's my fault for not reading the listing, and ebay allows the selling of expired goods, and I should remove my negative review, and bla bla bla.  I simply responded asking for a refund. The seller then approved my return and sent me a return label. 

My question is, do I have to send this item back?  Shouldn't the seller just refund my money since it's against ebay policy to sell such items? Pretty sure he will just relist it once it's returned, and I'd rather just throw it in the trash than going through the hassle of returning this garbage.

I already started a return and he accepted it, so eBay is not allowing me to ask for them to step in on this one yet. 

Just looked and the seller had the expiration date in the listing 3/19. As far as returning it why should you have the money and the product? The seller is entitled to have it back as long as they pay the return shipping

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

The seller is wrong. The food policy says they  have to have the expiration date in the listing and state how they will be delivered and ensure they will be delivered before the expiration date.

They are selling stuff that expired last year and noticed one that expired in 2018.

Have a great day.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Return it, they paid for the return label. There is no way you can be certain what they are going to do with the item once they have it back. If you don't return the item they don't have to refund your money. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply