cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sends better version, requires additional payment

Hello. Gratitude in advance for advice. 🙏🏻

I ordered an electrical appliance on eBay, but as soon as I had completed the order, eBay suggested similar items and I saw that the same business seller had a better version of the item, same brand, but with an additional feature that would be extremely useful.

So I immediately tried to cancel the order (literally 30 seconds after placing it), and to order instead version 2. However, when I tried to cancel, a message said that it wasn't possible to cancel and to therefore contact the seller.

So I contacted the business seller. No reply (it was the weekend though). Two days later I tried again to cancel the order, this time the message said that it was not possible because the PayPal payment had gone through. 

The seller then contacted me, saying that they would send me version 2 instead of the original version, and that they wanted my email address to bill me for the additional 75€ (which is correct, no problem there).

They have indeed sent me the new version, they were honest.

1. My problem is that my eBay account shows that I have only bought the older version - will that affect any guarantee?

2. Also, they have not invoiced me for the extra 75€ via eBay. They want my email address to presumably invoice me via PayPal, so I am worried that this transaction will be 'outside' of eBay.

What do I do? 

Kindest regards 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Your seller made a complete mess of things by not cancelling the order and asking you to repurchase the correct item. 

eBay deserves their fees for the extra 75E you will be paying. By asking for your email address to invoice you outside eBay, the seller is violating eBay policy and also asking you to violate eBay policy. Also note that this payment would be outside eBay and therefore eBay could not compel your seller to return it.

If you are referring to a manufacturer guarantee, the eBay transaction has no effect on that. If you are referring to the eBay Money Back Guarantee, you hold the upper hand. There is no one at eBay who is going to inspect the item upon return and compare it to the listing.

IMHO your seller has three choices:

1) Refund the original transaction and the seller hopes you are honest and will re-purchase the correct item.

2) Set up a new 75E transaction so that eBay gets its fees, and you hope the seller is honest and will refund the 75E if there is something wrong with the other transaction.

3) Realize he messed up and considers the 75E he lost as tuition to the school of hard knocks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The seller can not invoice you for additional charges on a completed transaction which is why they asked for your email address. You are in France and this is the US seller discussion board. I am not sure what you bought or what the warranty is with regards to the item but that is something you can research on the warranty information included with the appliance or ask the seller through email exchange. 

From eBay's perspective this order is completed. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You already received the item??  The likely problem you would have is if you had to return the item you would only be getting a refund for the amount you paid for the original item unless the seller did the right thing and sent the overage back to your PayPal. 

You might have some protection through PayPal but I don't use it so I don't know, however, I'm sure someone knowledable will be able to answer that for you.

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Your seller made a complete mess of things by not cancelling the order and asking you to repurchase the correct item. 

eBay deserves their fees for the extra 75E you will be paying. By asking for your email address to invoice you outside eBay, the seller is violating eBay policy and also asking you to violate eBay policy. Also note that this payment would be outside eBay and therefore eBay could not compel your seller to return it.

If you are referring to a manufacturer guarantee, the eBay transaction has no effect on that. If you are referring to the eBay Money Back Guarantee, you hold the upper hand. There is no one at eBay who is going to inspect the item upon return and compare it to the listing.

1) Refund the original transaction and the seller hopes you are honest and will re-purchase the correct item.

2) Set up a new 75E transaction so that eBay gets its fees, and you hope the seller is honest and will refund the 75E if there is something wrong with the other transaction.

3) Realize he messed up and considers the 75E he lost as tuition to the school of hard knocks

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The problem here may be that the ordered item was already delivered. If the buyer purchases the second item how will they handle the shipping, I would think they would need to ship something to fill the order. 

Same issue with shipping but I suppose seller could ship a small envelope and eat the cost just so they could show delivery. 

Really no clean way to handle this. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you luckythewinner, you have carefully read and completely understood the situation. I thank you for your advice. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply