cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller pays shipping on returns & no restocking fees allowed to retain Top Seller Plus Status

I sell as a Top Seller Plus & try hard to provide buyers accurate information to minimize returns and achieve high customer satisfaction. I believe a large percentage of my business is from small resale shops throughout the country. Most of these shops are reputable but a small percentage create significant potential return issues. Ebay has the data to monitor return percentages for bad actors and could take steps to limit their return activities but apparently does not care to do that.

Elimination of all restocking fees and forcing Top Seller Plus sellers to pay return shipping on all returns is a big risk for sellers like me for ebay’s “hope” that sales will increase significantly. I do not share ebay’s view that sales will increase enough to offset the cost of handling what I expect to be a surge in returns coupled with significant operating cost to a seller that chooses to retain Top Seller Plus status. Returns were tough enough when we had to argue with buyers about “not as described” returns.

I am convinced that a huge percentage of returns are from a small percentage of reseller shops that special order items for their customers then return items that their customers choose not to purchase. If I am correct about these reseller-return situations Top Seller Plus sellers are going to get hurt badly by these recent changes and the advantage will go to abusive reseller shops. Big problem that sounds good in the short term but will eventually hurt ebay sellers.

I will go along with this new ebay return policy for Top Seller Plus sellers for a time but will likely give up Top Seller Plus status and not pay return shipping. I may also consider a no return policy unless a buyer can make a very strong case for a not as described item return.

What say you?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Seller pays shipping on returns & no restocking fees allowed to retain Top Seller Plus Statu

Old thread, but one that should be at the top all the time.  I remember years and years ago, eBay was a seller centric site.  They only make money when we seller succeed.  Then they suddenly started moving over to being buyer centric.  No more bad feedback for **bleep** buyers, constantly losing "not as described" returns even when the description was 100% accurate, requirements constantly being harder to meet and retain, and now no restocking fees to make sure that a seller has a greater chance of losing money than making any here.  The whole system has become so rigged against a seller it's baffling that a huge percentage haven't bailed out.  I also sell on my own site and Amazon, the only reason I stay here is my rating is high and my sales are higher here as such.  But it's gotten to the point that looking at my "seller hub" stats shows me some months my ebay fee's being 25% of total sales which is absurd.  I sell custom golf cart cable kits, which are specific to one cart and one cart alone.  People don't read the wall of text I have in the listing which repeatedly states this kit only fits one system and will not work for others, then they buy it and return it claiming not as described when it is exactly as described and they were the moron who didn't read it.  I am on the verge of dumping my top rated, which sucks because I have 3000 feedback and 100% positive.  I will say that one time a couple years ago I did get one over on eBay, when someone overseas purchased a graphics card and requested first class international shipping.  Well I was unaware that First Class International doesn't continue tracking once it leaves the US and the criminal buyer claimed it never arrived.  Ebay jacked my paypal of $450 for it even though it is a known scam.  I filed a paypal case against it and won, paypal returning my money.  So ebay, who for so long when owning paypal said all decisions were final have put restrictions on my account so that I can't list any new items.  Pot, Kettle, Black much ebay?

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

Re: Seller pays shipping on returns & no restocking fees allowed to retain Top Seller Plus Statu

I encourage all sellers to give up their top-rated plus seals as I did. The only way that we can keep Ebay from hurting our finances is by sticking together. It is insane to allow buyers to return items at the seller's cost. I have very few returns, but most of them are just the buyer changing his or her mind about the purchase. I'm sure that my returns would increase if I offered free returns. Since giving up my top-rated plus seal, my sales have actually increased. I'm paying a little higher fees now that I no longer have the seller discount, but this is a principles decision and I think I am better off in the long run.

Message 47 of 50
latest reply

I gave it up a long time ago. Shame on Ebay for taking that status away from me. I worked very hard to earn and keep it in the first place. Just once, I wish Ebay would put sellers' needs before buyers or their bottom line that goes to its shareholders. I wouldn't offer FREE RETURNS if my life depended on it.
Mindy (ipm32)
Message 48 of 50
latest reply

I agree completely. I also sell handbags, and typically have very very few returns. BUT...like you say, one return from across the country sets me back way too much cash... I'd have to sell about 6 bags or more before my "TRS discount" would compensate. So I joined the legions early on and gave u my TRS+ badge. Seems a pity, and frankly seems to send a wrong message. Top Rated should reflect the care you give your description, and the service you provide to your customers. I excell at both, but alas, I am no longer considered on of eBay's "top" sellers.
Message 49 of 50
latest reply

I just wish that Ebay would do more to encourage small sellers like myself. I want to be a business, but this sideline is only a hobby, as each year, for the last 4 or 5 years, my sales have dwindled. I used to do $1000/month. Now I do around $100. What a joke. And I don't get any discounts. And I don't have any desire to try and list new things, as Ebay does not help me with trends. I feel the fees should include that little bit of help, but it doesn't. I have been listing more of my vintage items on Etsy, but since they went public, and funnels PayPal payments directly through their website, I have lost some confidence in that platform. I know you have to change with the times, and I'm trying, but the rules keep changing. I feel the changes are NOT favoring sellers...just buyers and shareholders. 

Mindy (ipm32)
Message 50 of 50
latest reply