cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller - eBay Authenticity Guarantee Nightmare Begins?

I wanted to post somewhere to keep track of everything that's going on in order to either warn future sellers, or hopefully provide an instance of eBay looking after sellers. We'll see how this ends up.

A couple of months ago I sold an item for $2200 using eBay's Authenticity Guaranteed program. eBay quickly authenticated the item and it was delivered to the buyer. Now, two months later out of the blue I get an email saying that the buyer has opened a Payment Dispute with their financial institution. eBay asks me to provide proof that the item was as described. I'm only allowed to submit a single photo, no text. I choose to screenshot the tracking from eBay showing that the item was authenticated by eBay as well as delivered to the buyer. 

I contacted support and was told that:

"I have confirmed that in this case you are protected. The buyer put their reasons for opening the dispute as item does not match the description of your listing. eBay has authenticated your item, meaning we have taken full responsibility and verified your item listing was accurate. This is why you are protected against any payment disputes." 

and: 

"You are guaranteed a reimbursement but for legal reasons, they money would have to come from you to the buyer. Then eBay will take over and protect you as one of our sellers and reimburse you."

This sounds way too good to be true. Has anyone else had this outcome? I will keep this thread updated as things develop. 

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

FINAL UPDATE:

It’s over! PayPal just ruled in my favor. So it would appear that PayPal seems to accept the eBay Authenticator’s findings as evidence of an item being as described. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 68 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

@chidela 

I have not used the Authentication program, but it sounds like from your interaction with e-Bay, then Authenticated the item and sent it onto the Buyer.

A CC chargeback on a SNAD is often a tough one to win.  I would be interested in how this turns out for you - so please keep us posted.  If you do not prevail, you should be able to appeal.

Good luck.  I hope what they have told you is in fact, exactly what happens  - because it IS what should happen!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 75
latest reply

"I will keep this thread updated as things develop."

@chidela 

I will keep this thread bookmarked to watch as things develop. I've been waiting for a "too good to be true" story for a while...

Message 3 of 75
latest reply

You only get one shot at fighting a CCCB so make it count.

Type  all relevant information to the case into a word doc and copy and paste any photo proof - feedback, messages, correspondence, authenticiy doc's, everything you can into that document. Also you should include in the document that you request the return of the item before the case is closed should it go in the buyers favour.

Take a screen shot of the document and upload it as a jpg into the case.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 75
latest reply

It doesn’t work like that, sadly. You can only upload a single jpg. No document files. You cannot leave any sort of note/comment. Just one jpg and it has to meet a size requirement. Also once you submit it, that’s it.

Message 5 of 75
latest reply

What I don't  understand is why the seller is required to reimburse a buyer should the CC chargeback prevail when eBay authenticated the watch.  How many people would still have that much money readily available after two months.  Moreover, in charge backs the seller is also hit with the chargeback fee.

Sellers are already reporting numerous problems with eBay's authentication programs, and I would hate to see another way a seller gets scammed left holding the bag.   In chargebacks you even lose your item.

What comes to mind here is your buyer needs money and is using the CC chargeback to get it.

Message 6 of 75
latest reply

I absolutely don’t have the money to cover this. Thankfully they just put a hold on my account rather than remove the funds from my bank. Of course this means I can’t sell anything until this has concluded so that’s disappointing. However, depending on how this ends I won’t be selling on eBay anymore anyway. I’m feeling optimistic that eBay will have my back since they authenticated the item themselves. Fingers crossed!

Message 7 of 75
latest reply

@chidela 

Yes, fingers crossed.  Keep us posted.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 75
latest reply

With MP, ebay is merchant of record.  I would figure that if the real seller pays the refund, ebay is off the hook and the out-sourced CS just says, 'sorry, nothing we can do'.  Of course, since it went through an 'authenticator', one would think that ebay or the authenticator should be in the hot seat - but since the UA says that the (listing) seller is responsible for everything in the ad, well ......

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

Wishing the OP best of luck!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 75
latest reply

@chidela wrote:

"You are guaranteed a reimbursement but for legal reasons, they money would have to come from you to the buyer. Then eBay will take over and protect you as one of our sellers and reimburse you."

This sounds like a response from a CS agent who, apart from abysmally poor grammar, has no clue what they are talking about.

Message 10 of 75
latest reply

I’ve been made promises by eBay CS before that weren’t upheld so that’s definitely possible. Maybe even likely. I’ve managed to find a few other instances in this forum and others of sellers who used the Authenticity program and received a Payment Dispute. In those instances they had to wait for a couple of months to lose the case, eBay then took the money from them, they then had to file an appeal with eBay. It sounds like some of the time eBay would reimburse them, and at least one of the times eBay did not, but then later the money mysteriously appeared in their bank account? So I have no idea what to expect from this outcome. 

Message 11 of 75
latest reply

@chidela 

Never heard this particular statement either.  As suggested, if you were using a first tier outsourced eBay rep, they could have just 'made this up'.   

If eBay 'sticks' you with this, it does not bode well for their "authenticator" services, if all the rules/regulations/protection become void in cases of a Payment Dispute like they do with the GSP. 

Message 12 of 75
latest reply

I actually addressed my uncertainty with the CSR:

03:34:14 UTC chidela
Is this in writing anywhere other than this chat? I apologize but I've been told things by eBay customer service before that turned out to be false.
03:37:38 UTC J******
I understand I would be very cautious as well if I were in your shoes. This is a unique situation with a lot of nuances so we do not have anything customer facing that explains this exact situation. All I can say is that I am an eBay expert, I have the tools and resources available to give you accurate information. As per our policy, if the item passed the authentication verification, it is eligible for protections.
Message 13 of 75
latest reply

As per our policy, if the item passed the authentication verification, it is eligible for protections.

@chidela 

Thanks for that info.  However, "it is eligible for protection" AFTER you fork over $2.2K from your bank account first, sounds more than bizarre.  

Your post on this subject is most appreciated, and will be looking forward to updates. 

Message 14 of 75
latest reply

Boy, what a load of carp that is, from an "eBay expert", no less. This Authenticity Program is looking more and more bogus.

Message 15 of 75
latest reply