cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection ~ Negative Feedback Policy for Buyers

I hope that in the future... That eBay can somehow encourage Buyers (at minimum), to contact Sellers (at least once) to report and resolve any issues that they may have with their order/purchase/item(s), prior to leaving negative feedback. So that Sellers are at least (at minimum), aware that an issue exists, and given the opportunity/chance to resolve any issues.

Since Sellers aren't able to leave negative feedback for any reason at all... Maybe Buyers shouldn't be allowed to leave negative feedback unless they (at minimum), contact the Seller at least once to report any issues, And/Or, after the purchased item(s) have been returned to the Seller? I think this would not only be fair, but a reasonable thing to ask on behalf of eBay Sellers.

Just my thoughts...

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Seller Protection ~ Negative Feedback Policy for Buyers

@mam98031 wrote:

Your idea is a good one.  For many years Ebay has asked for the ability to try and resolve an issue with a buyer before they are allowed to leave negative FB.  For a brief period of time Ebay did have an extra step in the posting of negative FB and the buyer was asked if they had contacted their seller prior to trying to post the FB.  But it was short lived, never to be heard from again.

I would love it for Ebay to require that a buyer at the very least send an email to their seller with a minimum of 24 hours to respond before they can leave negative FB.  But I don't think we will ever see it as lots and lots of sellers, to include myself have asked for some type of help on this specific subject.

As for negative FB.  I'm not a fan of publicly shaming of buyers.  That will only drive buyers away, even some good ones.  Just not a good business decision.  Even snarky responses to FB by a seller aren't a good idea.  No matter how true they are, it is always in the seller's best interest to keep it polite and professional.

Yes because contacting a seller who shipped first class but abused free priority mail supplies is going to make things so much better.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

And sometimes the seller has already proved through the transaction itself that contacting them would be pointless.

My friend purchased a small top hat to use as a part of her Halloween costume.  The seller shoved the hat into a poly mailer and shipped it that way with no padding or protection or anything whatsoever... and of course by the time the hat got to my friend, it was completely crushed and mangled.  In a situation like that, what good would contacting the seller do?  They obviously did not give a single hoot about the buyer, because if they did, they would have shipped it properly.  Alternatively, they were lazy and/or cheap, neither of which speaks well to how they would react to having these facts pointed out to them by saying "Uh, hey, so this thing was totally destroyed when I received it..."

Rather than get into what would no doubt be a contentious back-and-forth that would hold up the refund, my friend just opened up a case so that she could get her money back and go buy another hat for her costume that would hopefully be shipped properly.

@yuzuha wrote:

And sometimes the seller has already proved through the transaction itself that contacting them would be pointless.

My friend purchased a small top hat to use as a part of her Halloween costume.  The seller shoved the hat into a poly mailer and shipped it that way with no padding or protection or anything whatsoever... and of course by the time the hat got to my friend, it was completely crushed and mangled.  In a situation like that, what good would contacting the seller do?  They obviously did not give a single hoot about the buyer, because if they did, they would have shipped it properly.  Alternatively, they were lazy and/or cheap, neither of which speaks well to how they would react to having these facts pointed out to them by saying "Uh, hey, so this thing was totally destroyed when I received it..."

Rather than get into what would no doubt be a contentious back-and-forth that would hold up the refund, my friend just opened up a case so that she could get her money back and go buy another hat for her costume that would hopefully be shipped properly.

I completely agree.  Even if the seller had apologized and refunded without a return, that wouldn't have made the item less ruined or the seller a better seller.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Yes, it would be nice if a buyer contacts you first and you can resolve any issue before a neg, but, Unfortunately, that would also open the door for bad sellers to hassle buyers, lie to them, give them the run around as well. I think the biggest issue facing Ebay and it’s sellers is to DRUM UP MORE BUSINESS. DO NOT LET THE NEGS GET YOU DOWN. It happens to the best of the best sellers here and you move on to the next positive feedback.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@debosm-47 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Your idea is a good one.  For many years Ebay has asked for the ability to try and resolve an issue with a buyer before they are allowed to leave negative FB.  For a brief period of time Ebay did have an extra step in the posting of negative FB and the buyer was asked if they had contacted their seller prior to trying to post the FB.  But it was short lived, never to be heard from again.

I would love it for Ebay to require that a buyer at the very least send an email to their seller with a minimum of 24 hours to respond before they can leave negative FB.  But I don't think we will ever see it as lots and lots of sellers, to include myself have asked for some type of help on this specific subject.

As for negative FB.  I'm not a fan of publicly shaming of buyers.  That will only drive buyers away, even some good ones.  Just not a good business decision.  Even snarky responses to FB by a seller aren't a good idea.  No matter how true they are, it is always in the seller's best interest to keep it polite and professional.

Yes because contacting a seller who shipped first class but abused free priority mail supplies is going to make things so much better.

Dang I missed that!  When did I say anything at all about that?  That is a pretty specific issue or are you suggesting that we all do that?  I get it that it is annoying at best if this happened to you, but the OP wasn't talking about a specific situation but rather in general.  And for that I stand by what I said above.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Most sellers won't leave feedback until the buyer does. It is because they want their ratings to go up. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@zack43 wrote:

Most sellers won't leave feedback until the buyer does. It is because they want their ratings to go up. 

@zack43 

I have no idea if it is "most" sellers or not.  Some sellers do and some sellers leave it at time of payment and some sellers don't ever leave FB.  It is a mixed bag for all kinds of different reasons.

If a seller has decent FB already, collecting more doesn't do a lot for them.  But on newer sellers or sellers with low FB numbers, then it can be important.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 21
latest reply