cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Bids, Retracts 5 Times, Gets Top Bid, and then Backs Out and Can't Retract Anymore. ??

I'm new to eBay, so I'm not totally sure how the bidding process looks on the buyer's end. But I've been trying to sell a unit that caused a bidding battle between two buyers. One of the buyers kept bidding and then retracting his bid over and over again a few hours later. It seemed like he was being very indecisive; he kept messaging me about the product and ultimately decided to back out as the highest bidder (after retracting and then bidding five times) 20 MINUTES before the bid closes! He now wants me to contact the second-highest bidder (his former opponent). Can I do this? How do I do this? Can I create an offer for the second-place bidder?  I want to make sure I follow all of eBay's policies and make sure the retracting-buyer isn't charged, etc. Please help. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Seller Bids, Retracts 5 Times, Gets Top Bid, and then Backs Out and Can't Retract Anymore. ??

Ebay should be stopping Retractors - it is all in the data and should be very easy.   

There are very few valid reasons to retract a bid.  

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

I'm not sure if you can contact the other bidder or not ( I have not done auction a while). I think you used to be able to.  I would definitely block the buyer so you do not have this issue with them in the future.

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

OK thanks for that explanation.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Is this for the

BARELY USED HIGH QUALITY: TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X Graphics Card

The auction is already over so I would cancel the order using the reason Buyer Requested to Cancel.

After you cancel there may be an automatic option to offer to the next highest bidder, but I am not sure. The next highest bidder may not want it now because of the bid manipulation. You may have to re-list it to sell it.

The seller should NEVER use the cancellation reason that the Buyer Requested it unless the buyer actually did.  That is a breach of the rules doing that and a seller can be sanctioned for it.

Don't ever use that reason unless it is actually the truthful reason and you have an email from the buyer requesting the cancellation.  Otherwise you are opening yourself up to potential problems with Ebay and the health of your selling account.  It simply isn't worth it.

eBay Policy also states

stephenmorgan_0-1704400699268.png

Following the Law and eBay Policy does not allow for the type of bid manipulation that went on.  eBay Policy only allows for a Bid Retraction if there was an error such as entering the wrong amount then you are allowed to reenter the corrected amount.  There is nothing in Policy that allows you to retract a Bid because you changed your mind, or you wanted to uncover the highest bid.  The policies clearly state against certain actions that are not allowed and some of these actions are against the law.

eBay has Policies stating certain actions are not allowed by buyers.  They do not always enforce their own Policies.  They will however penalize a Seller if they choose to cancel a sell because of the buyer violating a Policy.

So, what would you do with a person who has Bid Retractions on your Auction, is winning and then 20 minutes before Auction ends wants you to contact the second-highest bidder?   

The Auction has been manipulated so much at this point that it is now compromised and should be allowed to be cancelled without penalty to the Seller.  eBay does not have an option to allow cancellation for this reason although policy has clearly been violated by the winning bidder who again wants to retract their bid, so they do not win.

That would be a problem for the buyer to be concerned with as far as breaching the policies you are talking about.

"The Auction has been manipulated so much at this point that it is now compromised and should be allowed to be cancelled without penalty to the Seller. "  While I don't disagree with that, I'm not sure Ebay would agree.  IDK, I've never had this happen nor have I tested your theory.  As we all know, Ebay doesn't always function in the way we think it should.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 37
latest reply

@deltilogical wrote:

Ebay should be stopping Retractors - it is all in the data and should be very easy.   

So Ebay should stop all retractions when it is only a small number of buyers that abuse it???  I can't say I agree with that.  But I do think Ebay should take this issue far more seriously than they do.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@tammiesmith3 wrote:

I'm not sure if you can contact the other bidder or not ( I have not done auction a while). I think you used to be able to.  I would definitely block the buyer so you do not have this issue with them in the future.

After the auction closes, if the highest bid gets cancelled for whatever reason by the seller, you can do what is called a Second Chance Offer.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions/making-second-chance-offers?id=4142

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@deltilogical 

bay should be stopping Retractors - it is all in the data and should be very easy.   

The retraction tells the seller that this customer has no intention of paying.

Retracting their bids is much much better than having an unwilling bidder win, then waiting 96 hours for no payment , Cancelling the transaction and relisting.
Time is money.

Worse is the non-retractor who pays unwillingly, claims Not As Described and forces the seller to pay for return shipping and to refund the entire payment.

Retractions are annoying but on the whole a Good Thing.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply