cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell and ship to the uk

Hi Im stumped. I need to know if it’s at all possible to sell and ship a high value item to the United Kingdom. Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Sell and ship to the uk

@deosil111 

Yes, it is possible. Just remember not to sell anything you can't afford to lose.  Scammers are everywhere in every country.  I would not sell that $1500 painting out of the country.  That's just me.  Your shipping cost is going to be a lot should you choose to ship internationally and damage is a possibility as well.  Just giving you my outlook.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

Thank you. I ve not sold internationally for a couple years now. Times being what they are I’ve reconsidered. A buyer contacted me from the uk and was interested in buying the painting. I reset the listing to allow international sales to the uk. When he tried to buy it, it said seller does not ship to your location . I was wondering if it’s possible through eBay’s global shipping program, which I’m eligible for but not enrolled in. I know shipping would be expensive but that’s paid by the buyer. I saw there are stiff customs fees, also paid by buyer. Also something about a vat license needed by the seller, which I’m confused about. I just thought someone here might have answers about these questions 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

@deosil111 wrote:

Hi Im stumped. I need to know if it’s at all possible to sell and ship a high value item to the United Kingdom. Thanks

As long as

(a) the UK does not prohibit the import of the item,

(b) you can find a carrier who will ship it, 

(c) any customs duties are paid

Then yes, it is possible to ship a high value item to the UK. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

I stopped shipping/selling to the UK about 10 years ago after reading of sellers problems on this board, but there are sellers that sell and ship to the UK successfully. Are you willing to take the risk of loss or damage, and the cost of paying for returns?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

I am willing to take the risks involved. However, when the buyer attempts to purchase it he is told I don’t ship to his location. I’m Unsure why. He seems trustworthy and he is a descendant of the artist and really wants the painting. I understand that usps will ship to the uk so that’s not an issue. I guess what I’m wondering is why eBay won’t let me sell it to him

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

If you're selling from the US, I would use the eBay International Shipping program, which will cover your sale against any claims once it reaches the eBay Hub that you ship it through on it's way to an international buyer (in any country they support, not just the UK).  We've had a number of sales through that program and have been quite happy with it, no issues yet.  They support sales up to $2500 USD, so definitely many things would meet that criteria.

Anything too valuable for that program, though, I'd be very hesitant to sell internationally, or on eBay at all.  Too many variables.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

Good luck shipping anything to the UK.  They have new unintelligible safety regulations that prohibit most everything on earth.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

Your shipping on the painting listings shows shipping to the US only and you've blocked all other locations.  If you want to ship to the UK you need to unblock the UK and list a shipping service to the UK.  Since the item is over $750 ebay requires that you use a service that will require a signature so you would probably have to use a courier as I don't think that USPS offers any services with a signature overseas. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Or, you could also sign up with ebay international shipping and if they are willing to ship that item to the UK. I do see other painting listings using EIS to the UK. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

Although the UK does have specific regulations for some items that aren't required in the US  I think that EIS blocks a lot of items that don't need to be.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

@toysaver wrote:

Good luck shipping anything to the UK.  They have new unintelligible safety regulations that prohibit most everything on earth.  

False!

There are issues with a small number of categories but 90%+ of all eBay listings can be shipped to the UK with ZERO restrictions.

Two specific categories are Toys, Knives and anything related to guns, pretty much everything else is ok.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sell and ship to the uk

@deosil111 wrote:

I am willing to take the risks involved. However, when the buyer attempts to purchase it he is told I don’t ship to his location. I’m Unsure why. He seems trustworthy and he is a descendant of the artist and really wants the painting. I understand that usps will ship to the uk so that’s not an issue. I guess what I’m wondering is why eBay won’t let me sell it to him

As said, it's because you have no shipping specified to the UK........you only ship to the US........

Also, as said, safest would be to use the EIS program, which, as you say, you are eligible for..........

Message 12 of 12
latest reply