cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Insights: Addressing Unverified 'Item Not Received' Claims Despite Clear Tracking Evidence

I hope this message finds you all well. I'm reaching out to share an experience I recently had, seeking your insights or similar experiences.

On November 9, 2023, I received an order which I promptly shipped the same day using USPS Ground Advantage. The label was purchased through eBay, and the tracking information was automatically linked to my seller account. According to the tracking details, the item – a comic book valued at $9 – was delivered to the customer on November 14, 2023.

However, on November 18, 2023, the customer filed an "item not received" claim, leading eBay to place the funds on hold. This action has left me perplexed and concerned. The tracking information, accessible directly from my eBay seller account, clearly shows both the shipping date and the delivery confirmation.

My point of contention is that eBay, having access to my account, messages, and all pertinent tracking details, still proceeded to put my funds on hold without apparently verifying this information. As a diligent seller who prides myself on prompt shipping and accurate handling, this situation not only affects my funds but also raises questions about the procedural fairness.

I fulfilled my part of the transaction impeccably, with the item shipped and delivered on time, backed by verifiable tracking proof. Yet, the automatic response to the claim without apparent verification seems contrary to what I would expect from a platform that I trust and rely on for my business.

I'm reaching out to this community to ask:

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation?

What steps did you take to resolve it?

Is there a way we, as a community, can suggest improvements to eBay's process in handling such cases?

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated. This isn’t about a $9 comic book; it's about the principle and the need for trust and fairness in our transactions.

Thank you all for your time and input.

Best regards,

Jamie

Devi1.pngHold1.png

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seeking Insights: Addressing Unverified 'Item Not Received' Claims Despite Clear Tracking Evidence

Upload tracking to the INR (item not received claim). In a few days when you're given the option to ask eBay to step in, click on that option and the claim will be found in your favor and funds released.

Buyers are responsible for providing a secure delivery location. Sellers are not responsible for refunds when a package is successfully delivered. If you want you can send the buyer a message similar to this:

Buyer,

According to tracking [number/carrier], your package was delivered on [date]. Here are some steps you can take to try and locate the package.

Check with other members of your household and your neighbors to see if someone else picked up the package and put it aside for you.

Call your local PO and ask them to check the GPS coordinates to make sure it wasn't delivered to a neighbor.

If they confirm it was delivered to your address, ask them to check with the carrier to find out where the package was left. Sometimes carriers will leave packages by the garage or behind the bushes if they think it's more secure.

If you come to the conclusion that the package was stolen off your porch then you can file a report with the police, USPS and your homeowners insurance.

If theft is a pattern in your area, then look into more secure delivery options such as a box for your porch, a PO box, or having packages delivered to a friend/family member or your work address.

Seller

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@jamiesbodega 

This is the easiest type of dispute to handle and win! 

Even though everything was done through ebay and the info is there for them to see, respond to the claim with the tracking number. In the comments section, post that "according to USPS tracking #(fill in the blank), it was delivered on (date) at (time)."

The system gives the buyer 3 days to respond and "find" the item (although they rarely do reply), after which the case will close in your favor and funds will be released. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Yes, I did all of that when I got the message from eBay. I posted this wondering why eBay doesn't have an automatic system that would cross reference the tracking and instead of bothering me with this issue just directing the customer directly to the carrier and explaining the steps that will help them. If I had checked the tracking and it said the USPS never received it, I would have given a full immediate refund and I would have taken it up with my shipper. All this process is doing is putting more burden on the seller for something they have zero control of the second the shipper acknowledges they are in possession of the package. It's just more of my time and a mark on my account (maybe not publicly but the fact that an "Item Not Received" was filed is noted on my account now). 

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Because as a seller, sometimes you have to do the legwork yourself.  It comes with the territory.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I would block the buyer immediately from future purchases.

Add the tracking to the open claim.

I had someone open a claim after 3 months. I responded to it. Buyer never closed the open claim which she didn't get a refund. eBay finally closed it yesterday after 21 days due to no more interaction between me and the buyer.

Naturally, I blocked that buyer. I would have thought the buyer would have closed it...but I guess the buyer thought I would eventually give a refund or eBay.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Appreciate your perspective, but let's not confuse 'legwork' with 'doing laps around the track.' Once I've passed the package baton to our trusty USPS team, my relay leg is done. I'm all for going the extra mile, but chasing after a package that's already been marked 'delivered' feels more like running in circles, don't you think?

I mean, if I had the ability to teleport and visually confirm each delivery, I'd probably be in a different line of work—maybe alongside Doctor Strange or as a new FedEx service mascot. Until then, I’ll stick to trusting the tracking system that's supposed to make both our lives easier. 😉

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Yeah, no I don't think so.  Your job isn't done until USPS delivers it and your buyer is happy with their purchase - or happy enough not to bother you again.  There are certain things that you just have to s**k it up and do yourself, instead of expecting eBay to do it for you.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@jamiesbodega wrote:

Appreciate your perspective, but let's not confuse 'legwork' with 'doing laps around the track.' Once I've passed the package baton to our trusty USPS team, my relay leg is done. 😉

No, your work isn't done until the buyer receives the item and they are happy with it.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@jamiesbodega wrote:

Appreciate your perspective, but let's not confuse 'legwork' with 'doing laps around the track.' Once I've passed the package baton to our trusty USPS team, my relay leg is done. I'm all for going the extra mile, but chasing after a package that's already been marked 'delivered' feels more like running in circles, don't you think?

I mean, if I had the ability to teleport and visually confirm each delivery, I'd probably be in a different line of work—maybe alongside Doctor Strange or as a new FedEx service mascot. Until then, I’ll stick to trusting the tracking system that's supposed to make both our lives easier. 😉

It's the assignment of responsibility - eBay/Pitney-Bowes may provide labels as a service but the actual shipping is not in their purview. They provide tracking data in connection with the label that you purchased, but again, that's a convenience. They don't handle claims.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I disagree. Once that package is scanned and in possession of the carrier my job is done. I place the correct item, in the correct condition, with the correct description, in safe and secure packaging, address the label to the address the customer provides, and ship it, I have done everything I promised. I have no control over any carrier and if the instant arises where a package is damaged or missing the carrier needs to take care of that. If the customer is not happy with their item that means I didn't give them enough information or provide enough details for them to know what they are getting. I also have free returns on everything and in the rare 2 I've had in the last 1200 sales I just approve it and move on. But "I didn't get it" doesn't jive with me, very, very rare for a package to be lost. And when they are it's on the carrier and the customer, not me.

Have a great day, 

Jamie

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I fulfilled my part of the transaction impeccably, with the item shipped and delivered on time, backed by verifiable tracking proof. Yet, the automatic response to the claim without apparent verification seems contrary to what I would expect from a platform that I trust and rely on for my business.

When a buyer files a dispute, eBay does not automatically assume that the seller wants to immediately "win" the dispute. Some sellers actually want to work with buyers even if they have tracking that would "win" the case. 

What steps did you take to resolve it?

I would upload the tracking as requested, and resolve the dispute to release the hold. 

I posted this wondering why eBay doesn't have an automatic system that would cross reference the tracking and instead of bothering me with this issue 

I think eBay does this because eBay thinks some sellers want to provide customer service and don't consider it to be a "bother".

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@jamiesbodega wrote:

Once that package is scanned and in possession of the carrier my job is done. I have no control over any carrier and if the instant arises where a package is damaged or missing the carrier needs to take care of that.

eBay policy says you, the seller, are responsible for either refunding or providing a prepaid return label if an item is damaged.

Then it's up to you to file a claim with the carrier to attempt recovery of the financial loss.

If a buyer opens a damage claim, or a non receipt claim when the package was lost and not delivered, and you don't take responsibility - eBay will force the refund from your account, keep their fees, and add an unresolved case defect to your account.

I suggest reading eBay's seller performance policy so you're prepared in case a claim is filed. The holiday season is prone to more shipping issues than usual because of the volume being processed.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

You’ll quickly see this mentality will not fly in the current state of e-commerce in the USA. A seller is never “off the hook” until 6 months and in some cases, as long as 2 years, after the transaction. Though in the vast majority of cases, 6 months is the number you should go by. 

It should occur to you that in most cases, buyers are not lying. It’s very possible the usps delivered the item to the wrong location, it happens often. I firmly believe the buyer has some level of responsibility, and if the usps concluded they delivered it, then and only then would I say “you did your job”.  But you need to open a cases with usps just to go through the motions, 99% of the time(I made that number up don’t quote it as fact) they will come to their original determination. Once they do, you’ve done your part. 

Keep in mind, it doesn’t always end here, buyers then try other means of becoming whole(chargebacks, false claims of empty packages, etc). Once a buyer feels he has been wronged, they may feel justification to seek financial retribution by any means possible. Be ready for that…..

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

This article is about a claim of "Item Not Received" with tracking that says it was delivered. A damaged item is a different thing. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply