cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Chance Offers - How Well Do They Work for You?

Just wondering what others' experiences are with second chance offers?

If I have additional inventory available (or the original winning bidder flaked out), and there are runner-up bidders, I do send them a second chance offer but I get very few takers.  Do others find the same?  If so, do you not bother offering them since it ties up your inventory until you hear back?

If you do offer them and have had success, is there anything you're doing that you think is increasing your chances of getting a Second Chance Offer sale?

TIA

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Thank You for clarifying that for me! 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@graciejoy wrote:

@fortys-tech-n-stuff wrote:

One problem is that ebay doesn't remove that buyers bid, you have to pay your max bid, opens it up to shill bidding.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing the winner's bid had a huge problem as well. Ebay use to let the bid go all the way back down. The problem with that is that a buyer could bid something way up by using two accounts to run off other bidders and then became a non-paying bidder on one account and then would try to purchase the item for the last bid which would be super low when they removed all of the winner's bids. Every time you fix one problem another just pops up to replace it. 

Yeah but then the buyer is hoping the seller will make a second chance offfer, most sellers don't bother with second chance.  Mostly a waste of time, so I don't see that being a huge problem. 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

If I can hit the buyer with the second chance offer with an hour or so of the ending of the auction, then it is about 50/50 if they will take it.  But after that, its maybe 10% or less that they take it after that.  

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Hi,
I have made the offer only a couple of times, but never got a bite. I would rather relist and move on, people rarely respond to any messages I send. I think it's because they get so many auto- messages and auto-responses from ebay. They feel free to ignore them.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

A lot of my sales go to repeat buyers. Actually about 70%.

I keep a database of those who acceopt and those who turn down SCO in the past.

I offer once in a while, not  lot, but if I have bidding go really high and I have good inventory I check the bidders against my list and go from there. Of those whom re new bidders, in my experience, roughly 1/3 take the offer.... but it depends on what the item is and how hot it's been selling.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

As a buyer, I have only received one or two of these in many years.

I didn't take them up on it.

There were times I lost an auction and messaged that I would be interested if the winning bidder did not pay.  Nothing came from those, either.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

No good deed goes unpunished.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

So many old threads being dug up today!

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@copper.boom

You're right, I fell for this one!

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

On my seller account...SCO's are usually a bust. Bidders are only in *heat* for a short period of time, post close of listing. Also....For some strange reason....Bidders seem to freak out over the fact that the seller may [actually] have more than just one of the items.  It's like the item has becone less special, or something. Bidders read far to much in to it, and conjure up all these silly reasons, in their head, as to WHY they are being contacted for a SCO.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@fortys-tech-n-stuff wrote:

This seller comes and tells me the other bidder didn't pay, a few minutes after the auction ends.  I told him you didn't even give him enough time to pay you, smells of shill bidding to me.

Alas! There are times when as soon as the winner is notified that they are the winner they request a cancellation.  A lot of times this stems from eBay's habit of showing the same item just won at a lower price right after the auction ends. However, there is a possibility that shilling is going on.  Only you can decide if you want to take the chance.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

About 50-50. I use them only when I have multiple items and I usually cut the bidder a break from his max bid. They're useless on unpaid items.
Message 27 of 27
latest reply