cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$$$ Scrounge Lounge - MARCH into Spring $$$

Welcome to the Scrounge Lounge March 2019 Edition

Our History: The Scrounge Lounge formed on the old Auction Listings board in 2003.

Who are we? Ebay buyers and sellers who love the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of the $ELL.
We find treasures in the usual, and at times, unusual places.
Here in the Lounge we share our finds, talk about sales, share our successes and our mistakes, we ask and answer questions, help identify widgets, and we'd love to hear about all your scrounging adventures!

Message 1 of 216
latest reply
215 REPLIES 215

Up to 4" forecast for tonight/tomorrow morning here in western northeast Kentucky. Maybe it'll skirt us to the south.
Message 76 of 216
latest reply

WELL KAY, that just sux about the loss of ID's. I can't imagine why mine was still active. It makes no sense that yours wasn't with the FB you had. 

I started using this one for buying too, after awhile. 

I see my vacuum cleaner bag guy has no active listings and I need bags. I was thinking of ordering some recently. 

haha at sorta remembering the 3rd one, which is jujuspirit, something my friend and I conjured up for selling some weird stuff. That didn't last long. Too weird for me. Dirty socks and twisted stuff LOL

Oh yes, the old AL board was so entertaining. I used this ID here first because I was so new I didn't want to expose my selling ID. hahaha. The good old days when the AL was so much fun. 

Yes, every time I see you post "good junque" I think of Laurie!!! :(:(:(

Message 77 of 216
latest reply

I've probably mentioned this on the board before.

I've only had the one account. It was going to be my initials, then KY for Kentucky. But when I looked at it that way (alky), I was afraid that potential buyers would think me a bit unreliable.
Message 78 of 216
latest reply

LOL @ Al. I remember you telling us that. Funny. But, now you will forever be Kyal to us.

M*M, I thought about listing DD's sneakers. She used to wear them sockless until they were so 'well-worn' it was disgusting. I could never bring myself to do it. It felt creepy.

There were a lot of strange auctions. Tin foil space hats. Naked kettle guy. Virgin Mary grilled cheese or was it toast? I've since seen toasters designed to leave an image on the bread. And has anyone seen the Cheetos commercial that shows a cheeto that looks like a whale. I always think ebay when I see those commercials.
Message 79 of 216
latest reply

Morning All and Happy Friday! 

I vaguely remember that too, Kyal when you first arrived here we were talking about the birth of our ID's.  

Kay, ah yes, the "well worn" keywords to selling 'juju' items, which means fetish. 

Too many comments and questions from those foot fetish people, def. creepy. 

I went out yesterday to look at those Syracuse dishes..very nice, and also very HEAVY dishes.  I offered 50 cents a piece, the "Scrounger Way" but gave her some advice on listing so she put up a new ad on FB, twice my offer, so I just counter offered to sell them on consignment at 60/40%...I can go out and take my own pics and don't have to haul or store any of it. Sound like a plan.  They are at a church a few miles from here and the place is getting remodeled so it's quite torn apart.  Some folks there filled up a dumpster with all kinds of other stuff, furniture, FISHER PRICE TOYS that this gal rescued but said all the Little People fell to the bottom. Horror of horrors. I said I would have been in there digging to the bottom for every last one of them. 

I work today 3-8. Then Sunday night is my first overnight weather permitting. I sure could use the hours, been nickel and dime-ing me since the beginning.  I bet I've spent more on snow removal than I've earned this last couple months. slowwww going. 

Message 80 of 216
latest reply

I remember the naked kettle guy Oh My! Some people's kids...hahahahaa

I never knew there were toasters made to give off an image. Now that's taking it to the next level!

Don't think I've seen the cheetos commercial.

I recall Conan, I think, or was it Letterman, had a bit about weird ebay auctions and the audience would yell Sold or Unsold. 

Message 81 of 216
latest reply

Fun auction this morning. Old and new tools, industrial lighting; hopefully a money-maker or three.
Message 82 of 216
latest reply

Am I mean for wanting to return an item choosing SNAD?
I got a set of ink cartridges that are NOT "new out of package" and they were shipped first class in a crudely disguised priority padded envelope. I'm furious. Right now, I don't want to communicate with the seller. And I don't care if their account takes a hit.
I'm not going to do anything tonight. Except vent.
Message 83 of 216
latest reply

Already have a $50 bid on a tool I paid $10 for; several watchers on another one. Maybe those two tools will pay for my whole auction bill!
Message 84 of 216
latest reply

Sounds like you should file a snad Kay. Also I don't know what you can do about the miss use of the priority envelope? Do you know your mail carrier or someone at the post office you could ask. The seller should not get away with either crime. Sorry this happened to you.
Message 85 of 216
latest reply

Great deal Kyal. Hope it goes a lot higher and you sell it all well.

this weekends auction prices were so high we could not believe it. They paid 950 for one playboy. Other insane things. Just kept bidding on stuff like their was no end to the money. It was fun to watch people be so stupid.
Message 86 of 216
latest reply

Kyal, congrats on the money makers, and on having an eye for them. Love those early bids. May it go up, up, up!

Sun, sorry your auction was so pricey. LOL @ the fun of watching stooped people.
Message 87 of 216
latest reply

I'm still debating whether to contact the seller or just go through the ebay process. I don't want a negative confrontation. But I feel like I should say something about the misuse of priority supplies and misrepresentation in the product condition/description. I'm trying to give them the benefit of doubt because they are longtime, casual buyer/seller (member since 2002; 207 FB). Some people don't know better. But ignorance is not an acceptable excuse.
I should probably wait awhile longer. I can't communicate an appropriate message to the seller until it's clear in my head.

Message 88 of 216
latest reply

They were selling a pile of vise grips. First bidder got choice at $12 each; took four. They did it again; next bidder took several at $8. Ran them a third time; that bidder got choice at $10. Last time they ran them; the final bidder took the rest at $11 apiece.

You just have to laugh.
Message 89 of 216
latest reply

@sunfarmer wrote:
Great deal Kyal. Hope it goes a lot higher and you sell it all well.

this weekends auction prices were so high we could not believe it. They paid 950 for one playboy. Other insane things. Just kept bidding on stuff like their was no end to the money. It was fun to watch people be so stupid.

Hope it wasn't the infamous Traci Lords issue, it's a federal crime to sell that one... seriously, a federal crime.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 90 of 216
latest reply