cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by a buyer

I sold a Vintage Hot Wheels Electronic Garage and someone bought it on Christmas Day to scam me. Can you believe it? I thought Christmas is about giving. I even spent Christmas day organizing the parts by sealing individual parts in its own plastic bags and pack the item really nicely, so I can ship it out first thing next morning thinking some kid is getting late Christmas gift.

Anyhow, he bought the set which was complete and tested working unit but within a day after delivery the buyer asked for full refund due to missing part directly to eBay without even trying to contact me.

Needless to say, after I paid for return shipping and got the item back, it was missing 6 parts and he swapped a few other parts that were not my originally. Some of the parts he swapped has stickers and my did not. I had one part with broken clip and now I got swapped a good part for some reason.

While all this is happening, I did some investigation using readily available search engine for sold items on eBay and found someone sold an incomplete set of same Hot Wheels Garage just 15 days prior. I message him and this seller told me he sold it to Modesto, CA as where my buyer is located.

It's now clear that the buyer bought the incomplete set for lower price and returned my after he stole the parts he wanted without a penny spent and shipped right to his front door.

But, I think most of you reading this probably knows what happened next. Yes, eBay decided it was NOT in buyer's control for me to receive missing or broken parts and issued a full refund. 

At the end I lost about $150 because it was bulky item to pay for shipping both way plus hours of hard work. This will be a Christmas experience for me and my family to remember by from eBay.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Scammed by a buyer

Once Again, As stated on my Profile and anytime I get the opportunity to revisit the topic, I advocate going back to equal  FB for Sellers and Buyers!!

If/when it does turn into a **bleep**-for-tat p^.*#@ng Contest it will be on record..

As a Member without Two accounts (hidden or otherwise) that buys Much More than I Sell I'm all for it! Thge Final Outcome may not change but will certainly give Pause!

The Best Thing To Do Now Is Stay Calm!
Message 16 of 35
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I bet your buyer is just as upset at you are.

Your buyer is wondering why you had the nerve to sell them something that was missing pieces.

Unfortunately we don't know who's telling the truth.

Neither does ebay.

Thanks for your feedback.

I totally understand that eBay cannot be sure who is telling the truth.

But I am venting here through this community post and hopefully I get some helpful hints next time. I have nothing to gain for lying to anyone here. This post will not suddenly make eBay reverse the refund after posting this story.  I am sorry you feel that way about me might not be telling the truth. I am just venting so I can release my frustration and move on. 

Thank you again.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Don't Be discouraged!  This is the Place To Be to get grievances heard and hopefully get solid "Sarcasm Free" advice on what the possible avenues are for recourse, how to's to avoid in the future and if nothing else, some solidarity!  Your FB in not zero nor did you open your account 20min ago!  Your Issue is valid!

Good Luck,

All The Best

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Outstanding!

I appreciate The positive outlook and the post!

Face It!  As Sellers, it's about all ya got! 

All The Best!

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

Yes, I am spending too much time and energy on this. I need to redirect the energy on listing and find goodies to sell.

Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Go Get Em!

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

I hear ya sapphire,,

But It's the "maybe" part of that links "solution/statement that "might" as well be pouring salt in the fresh wound in the moment!

Thanks for Looking Out and You Positive suggestion!

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

I see what you are saying, but then why is it that the seller is the one losing money? 

Why is it ok for sellers to lose money and not the buyers on ebay?  

Gotta go back to open feedback for both parties. 

Back in the day, this is how you kept track of buyer scammers.  

We are blind now and no one is trying to solve the problem.  

Back in the old days,  there was a balance and check system and

buyers that were dishonest we all knew about and could avoid. 

And bad sellers were weeded out and their bad deeds were exposed to the public. 

Now scammers can opening scam you, and there is no recourse.  

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Kenny,

the biggest argument to what you and I (as well as others) are suggesting the return (pre 2006) to is that it always turned into a, "he said-she said" argument until eBay stepped in at some point, and it was not a healthy experience for Buyers, (especially new comers)!  So Guess who lost so we could keep a pretty face! 

Personally, I didn't really loose.. I'm a stockholder as well! Shot myself in the foot again! oh well, not the first time here...

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@littletangerine wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

I bet your buyer is just as upset at you are.

Your buyer is wondering why you had the nerve to sell them something that was missing pieces.

Unfortunately we don't know who's telling the truth.

Neither does ebay.

Thanks for your feedback.

I totally understand that eBay cannot be sure who is telling the truth.

But I am venting here through this community post and hopefully I get some helpful hints next time. I have nothing to gain for lying to anyone here. This post will not suddenly make eBay reverse the refund after posting this story.  I am sorry you feel that way about me might not be telling the truth. I am just venting so I can release my frustration and move on. 

Thank you again.

I understand, and I'm sure you ARE telling the truth.  I'd bet money on it. 

It's just that in a he said/she said situation, ebay will almost always find in favor of the buyer.

As much as it may suck at times for sellers, I do understand why they favor buyers.

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

You should put a block on your account so the same buyer won't buy any of your other items.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@littletangerine 

I agree with the advice to Report the Buyer.

If you Chat with an eBay employee on one of eBay's social media accounts,you will get better advice and perhaps some help.

Asking that your loss, even if just your shipping loss, be covered would not be unacceptable.

The phone reps do not work for eBay so don't bother with them. They work for a subcontractor out of Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=enhttps://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

And if the information you uncovered is still available you can add that to the Chat.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I apologize for the clothing comment. I would have sworn the two I clicked on yesterday only had one photo at the time that I viewed. 

take care

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

So... I got good news.

I appealed the decision made by eBay on buyer's full refund and sent in lots phots and descriptions plus comparison on the photos from before and what I received from the buyer. I also told them to check the purchase order on the same set of toys which was incomplete that sold 15 days prior to the same city.

Then, eBay decided that the buyer made a mistake returned the items with missing parts.

Therefore, due to their guarantees for buyers and sellers. Buyer will keep the refund but not from me after I signed an affidavit.

To be honest, I was very surprised. But eBay did the right thing for the sellers. My faith has been restored!

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

I had this happen twice and now I clearly state that returns are not accepted and the item is being sold as is and I have not had a problem since. 

Message 30 of 35
latest reply